Posts by edit4ever

dankec - Unfortunately my build did not work. I think I missed some patches while setting up the S812 project.

As for the remote issue...obviously drieschel's M8 version is not meant for M8S+ so we can't expect the remote to completely work correctly. For me, the remote will turn off the system - but I believe it is going into a hibernate/sleep mode not the shutdown sequence. The remote will not power the system back on. Using the shut down menu in kodi causes the system to reboot instead of shut down.

In kerber's M8S+ version, the remote will shutdown the system - but againI believe it is going into a hibernate/sleep mode not the shutdown sequence. The remote will not power back on from that state. However, if I use the shutdown menu in kodi, the remote will power back on from that state.

On the live TV issue -- video plays fine with drieschel's M8 version but buffers and breaks up on kerber's M8S+ version. Kerber's M8S+ version is built from drieschel's git - so it has something to do with the linux or kodi patches or the device tree. If I have time I will try to investigate further...but hopefully drieschel is working on an S812 version! Also, with the improvements in kodi 17 for pvr handling...I'm hoping that kerber makes an LE8 build for M8S+.

Not true! Still the same (at least .tar file)

Strange - that .tar file makes my power button work. Did kerber's 6.95 OE build work for your remote? If so, maybe grab the remote.conf file from there...or from your android image.

I almost have an M8S+ version of drieschel's build ready -- but thanks to Windows update last night, it trashed the compile process. I'll start it again tonight and see what happens.

My ATSC frequencies list was off by one - here is the corrected list for anyone looking to manually enter the frequencies in the tv backend:

What about power on/off problem?
    This fw from /devel folder works?

On both the /8xx version and the /devel versions have the same result for me...which is why I went back to Drieschel's M8 version.

Power button works as expected.
    Video playback of live tv stream (usb ATSC tuner) breaks up.

Thie video playback works great on Drieschel's version. And I can power off with remote - it turns off, but doesn't bring up the shutdown menu. But I can't power back on with remote - have to unplug. Also on a restart, it usually hangs on the splash screen and I have to unplug to reboot.

For me, a working live tv playback is more important than a clean power on/off/restart as I usually leave the box on to record tv programs.

Does anyone know where the dtv-scan folder is suppose to be located on libreelec? Oddly even on a working system I couldnt find this folder either.

Unfortunately, in the version in the LE repo, it gets compiled into the binary program file so you can't add it after it's been compiled. Also unfortunate is the version that is in the LE repo is missing the ATSC muxes. I believe this is due to it being added from CVH's builds - which are currently missing this muxes list as well.

You can manually add the muxes you need by entering the correct info (frequency and modulation) on the DVBInputs/Muxes tab - but this can be a pita. If you are using ATSC it starts with identifying your available channels. Click on this link RabbitEars.Info and find and click on your TV market. (The site can runs slow sometimes...just let it load.) Then click the print all button so you have an easy list of your available TV channels.

Now the fun part! The important part is the digital channel list. For each major number (in an example like 34.1 the 34 is the major number the .1, .2, .3 etc are minor numbers listing subchannels) you will want to add a new mux in tvheadend. Before you can do that, you need to convert that digital channel number in to a freuqency in Mhz. To help with that, I have built a reference file here:
    Dropbox - Link not found
    Find your digital channel number and then note the Mhz number next to it. This is what you will need in tvheadend.

In tvheadend on the DVB Inputs/Muxes tab, click add. You'll get a popup where you can select the ATSC network you created. The on the new window that opens, place the Mhz number from the excel file into the Frequency (Hz) field. Select Modulation VSB/8 and then hit Create. Do this for each digital channel that is available in your market. The system should begin scanning for services while you continue to add in the other muxes. Once you are done, you should have a new list of services and you can continue your setup from there.

I'm hoping CVH can resetup his autobuild environment for the tvheadend builds and make sure the ATSC muxes get added back in. At the very least we need to get the one in the LE repo updated to contain the ATSC muxes list. Also hoping he adds a cross compile autobuild for amlogic devices...but I don't want to press my luck! :)

I saw the same issue on both of kerber's versions. This issue is when using an ATSC usb tuner in the USA.

I have to reconfigure my build environment, so it may be a few days before I can try to compile an M8S+ from drieschel's LE version. I believe that he (and maybe others) were working on a universal s812 build, but I don't know the status of that. I think they are more focused on building and testing LE 8...can't fault them for that! :)

If there is anyone else who can test kerber's version and ATSC tuner I would love ot know if they have the same issue. However, I think most users are not in the USA.

If I get something compiled, I will definitely post it and share the git.

So, I think it's not only due to remote config.

I have the same issue - I believe the power on code is hardcoded in the bootloader. I believe it will take a specific version of dreischel's firmware for our M8S+ power on remote button to work. I believe it will need this file:

u-boot/irremote2arc.c at master · surkovalex/u-boot · GitHub

I've been planning to try to compile a version for our M8S+ but I haven't had time to set it up. Surkovalex (kerber) did compile one:

LibreELEC-Amlogic.arm-M8SPlus-7.0.2.tar

...but something is still not right in his version as my live tv constantly buffers, whereas drieschel's version is smooth!

bubblegum57 - I am familiar with using paperclip to get to bootloader. I am coming from a stock android nand and when I used the img.gz file (yes I extracted it) and reboot to recovery I just get the recovery screen. If I use the toothpick (paperclip) method - I still just endup at the recovery screen.

I prefer to not write over the android nand if possible - but it seems that this box (geniatech ATV1950) wants to load the file from the recovery screen. - unless I'm missing something.

I would like to install with boot from sd - but if I use reboot to recovery or toothpick methods, I end up at the Android system recovery screen. Am I missing a step or will I have to use the nand method? If I use nand - does that mean it will write over android?

I would like to disable the quiet boot on my M8S+ (which is running Drieschel's S802 build for M8) so I can see where the system is hanging on reboots.

However, I can't seem to find where to edit the boot parameters. On my raspberry pi it's in the config.txt file.

Is this possible on amlogic boxes?

It's likely an issue with the remote.conf file I used.

I will do some testing tomorrow and see if I can resolve.

I'll also take a look at the logs and see if I can see what may be causing the boot hang issue.

Also looking forward to testing an LE 8 - alpha or beta if it comes along. ;)
    There are some nice pvr improvments - which is my main use.

You can power off but can't power back on by the remote. You have to pull the plug. The remote only worked in kodi after installing a remote.conf file.

The blue and red lights work correctly with power on and off.

I still have a hit and miss boot. Sometimes it just hangs and I have to cycle the power...but when it boots it seems to run well.

For me it was worth it for the ability to use live tv with an attached usb tuner. I was unable to get video to play smoothly using OE.

Thanks! That remote.conf worked.

I think a moderator will need to change the thread title - I don't seem to have access to it.

It may not be a "healthy" device tree...but it seems to work really well. Live TV, online streaming, local file playback all run smoothly. It gives new life to older boxes!