i think all versions of rpi can do passthrough. but they cannot do dts-hd or dolby truehd

Can still passthrough pcm dolby and dts though.

Also it helps to have media that has the 5.1 stream ;) if its 2 channel stream it will upmix to all speakers.. well my sony 5.1 does this ok

Only prob with rpi is its not hdmi 2.0 so no true 4k. I personally use multiple devices. Including android boxs that are hdmi2.0. And rpi3/1 the rpi 1 - 3 will play 1080p with no issues whatsever and passthrough the pcm audio

so basically with microsft actually doing and update to skype for linux ( albeit no video calls as yet) i was going to add chrome and jitsi but i think ill stick with skype. problem is we will need uvcvideo enabled in the kernel i think its CONFIG_USB_VIDEO_CLASS=y or m whichever. v4l2 is enabled but it still does not recognize my v4l camera without the uvcvideo config

so im thinking adding skype the same sort of way you have emulationstation. basically its so my mum and dad dont have to wire up their laptop everytime to use skype since microsoft/samsung pulled the app from the samy tvs.
    it makes sense to try and use the rpi3 as they already have it.

i tried make menuconfig but this doesnt exist... ill just build it (already started)

this could all come crashing down if i cant find a skype that works on arm though however skype web works ok still no video calling yet though, i think it would probably be easier to get chrome working and use jitsi.si or google hangout possibly

excellent, your builds are cool..
    the uvcvideo is basically webcam drivers built into the kernel. what i want to do is change the kernel config and rebuild just the kernel. i wasnt asking for you to build it. ill do it i just need a little instruction. have a clone of your repo and found the kernel options file,, just a case of rebuilding just the kernel. but i dont know how to specify just the kernel

i have been trying my hardest to find an alternative to skype (mum and dads skype has dissapered from their tv apps, thanks microsoft)
    Ok so we all now skype kinder sux on linux.
    what im after doing is using Jitsi in Docker. Obviously it will need some basic webcam drivers.. before i go and create one is there an image floating around anywhere with basic webcam stuff and Chrome ?

Ta