Posts by muchor

Hi all,

I have a nice miniPC on Ryzen 7, running Librelec 11.0.4, and I am quite satisfied with it. However, there are certain services which I may only access via Chrome or another browser. Since running Chrome inside Libreelec has become a problem, I have therefore thought to add a second hard disk, and to install Ubuntu on it. It has been some time since I have been doing dual-boot installations - it shouldn't be a big problem here, since one system would safely sit on one hard disk, another one on the other - no problem with partitions. I would kindly ask for advices, which dual-boot loader would you recommend for such configuration?

Well, you have loaded a Libreelec image, so you get Kodi. If you want to distinguish between Libreelec and Kodi:

- Kodi is a very good multimedia open platform, with easy to install so called addons, which are like interfaces to various services in the internet (e.g. Netflix has own addon, there is another one for Disney Plus, or if you are in UK - you may use Kodi to access BBC content). There are video addons, but also music addons, so you may listen to internet radio or watch internet TV or watch a movie, YouTube clip or any video program from vast internet resources. Condition: there must be an addon which kind of fetches content from Internet into Kodi.

- Libreelec is a minimal version of Linux, which needs to be tailored specifically for the hardware platform you have, and Kodi inside. Minimal means, that any Linux elements which one would normally have, are not present here - it has been cut down to the bare bones, which are needed to run Kodi. So, while Libreelec may run on various hardware platforms, it is expected that Kodi will run identically on all of them. Thus, first Libreelec loads, you see its logo - and then Kodi starts.

It is amazing to observe, how useful those cheap Chinese boxes when you install this Libreelec - it really opens a huge gateway to various resources in the Internet. Big kudos to guys who port this Libreelec onto various platforms - for free. Both Kodi and Libreelec are open and free projects.

Sorry if I repeat something obvious, but thought it might be useful. Please have a look at https://libreelec.tv/ for more information.

MatteN - thanks for answer. Quite useful page, gives a nice summary of exactly this kind of information I have been looking for. So it looks, like all those sophisticated codecs like HEVC, VP9, AV1 etc. - are all supported. Does this mean, that Kodi will be able to take advantage of that? In particular, under LibreELEC i.e. under Linux. I have been reading, that AMD chips are much worse supported in Linux due to AMD policy - and I wouldn't want to install Windows just to have hardware support for some advanced codecs. Is this going to be an issue or perhaps I just worry too much in advance?

Hi,

Would be curious to learn, what do you think about this little box:

T-bao tbook mn25 mini pc amd ryzen 5 2500u 8gb ddr4 256gb nvme ssd radeon vega 8 graphics 2.0ghz to 3.6ghz dp hd 4k dual wifi Sale - Banggood.com-arrival notice

Would it support H.265 in HW mode in LibreELEC? Am looking for something to replace my very old NVIDIA ION, which has served very well for 10 years, but its time has come. And, I would like something to be usable for a few years to come.

Thanks in advance, this forum is really helpful and competent.

Hi guys,

I am amazed - have old V88 box, it is still on Android 5.1.1, and for some reason it is slooow, typical video files melt it (sound is not synchronized with video). Have looked with some curiosity at good old mxqproject.com site, and found links to Libreelec on RK3229! Wow, the file for V88 worked right from the start! WiFi works, the system is not lightning fast, but one may live with it.

Overall, perhaps this Kodi on LE on old V88 box is not the most responsive platform, but you know - it works and that's what is here important.

:)

Hi,

Looks like I have the same MXQ Pro box with p281 board, as Mice has - and indeed, dtb file gxl_p212_1g.dtb works, LibreELEC boots fine, WiFi and sound works, however only rear USB port works. Also, standard remote does not work - which is a pity. Have tested all other p212 1G files, and if they work (only the one with _nand does not), they all have same problems. While I could perhaps live with one USB port only, would be tough to miss the remote - has anyone succeeded to get remote working on this box? May we hope for dtb's specifically for p281?

Hi,

Have installed LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2-8.1.2.img.gz on my MXQ PRO box with 1G RAM, running S905X. It worked flawlessly via a toothpick method, now it runs off SD card, default dtb.img file worked very well, it even supports WiFi. The only issue here is that - very strangely to me - when I wanted to switch default Estuary skin into another language, it will only list English... Any advice how to fix it?