Posts by biesa

hello everyone,

im a beginner in using kodi on my android box.

currently i'm running:

CoreELEC 8.90.1

KODI 18 Leia Alpha

on a:

M8S PRO+ S905X 2GB-RAM & 16GB Flash

Os is on a Samsung 32GB microSD

I hope those provided informations can help you to tell me what to do, in order to get this system updated on a version which is stable and which makes sense.

Or should I stay on this setup?

Currently i am not able to use the remote control which was incl.

Currently I can only control the device via smartphone and iOS App.

What is ok currently - but remote would also be cool.

Please try to tell me simple instruction which can also a beginner understand

So questions:

should I update or stay on this setup?

when update - what and how.

Thanks in advance

Regards

biesa

Dear folks,

just received a M8S PRO+ S905X // 2Gig Ram / 16Gig Flash

As you know the toothpick method is not possible...

I downloaded: LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2-8.2.1.2.img.gz and used the LE tool to put it on a micro SD.

So i tried the following as recommended:

• recovery method: boot into Android, insert card/thumb drive and choose Reboot to recovery. Your box should boot into LibreELEC.

I did not find "reboot to recovery" - where or how to do this recovery methodon my device?

• recovery method (2nd variant): if you have "Update" app pre-installed open it, insert SD card with LE/connect USB drive, and choose anyZIP file in the app for update. Your box should reboot to LE.

Ok did that. but once i am choosing local and not OTA in order to enter the sd card there will be nothing displayed. only a screen with no dirs or files (but usin the android file explorer works - there i can see the content of the card)

• recovery method (3rd variant): enable ADB (Google it) and issue adb reboot update command

I install android terminal app and typed su / reboot update. reboot starts but theMECOOL screen freezes and nothing happend. So i removed the sd card and the android boots again

Looking really forward to any help.

My A95x device was easy but this is tricky for me

We are always happy to help yet we don't want to answer the same questions again and again. Next time please tell us first that you read instructions and don't understand, there's always a way to improve them. ;)

Perhaps you flashed an incorrect device tree. There's always a way to recover. Are you sure that you used a device tree with the same file name as for 8.0.x? Remember that "_nand" suffix is not for installing to internal memory - it is for devices with NAND instead of eMMC.

Hey kzsaq - thanks for your help.

I did the "backup action" which is recommened if the box wont reboot after updating.

This time i took gxl_p212_1g_nand.dtb instead of gxl_p212_2g_nand.dtb - renamed it and moved the file from USB via ssh to NAND.

Now system is working.

Thanks again for your work esp. the OS.

keep it up!

Important: You should also download a new device tree, and put in Update folder with an update file. You should have both files in Update folder before rebooting. You do not need to rename device tree file before updating.

I did - as mentioned and know it does not reboot after updating - great

EDIT: Wouldnt it be better - to get a short clear instruction answer instead of "please read this"?

I am asking "how to update an exisiting LE on nand" because I am not form to the process.

I have read the instruction but for me it wasnt clear enough.

Thats why I was asking.

No I did what I thought it would be the way... but it wasnt!

Simple rule: if you're not sure, always use a device tree with an update. I thought it's pretty clear when this is in bold+red in the instruction?

Ok-

so just to doublecheck.

I am uploading:

gxl_p212_2g_nand.dtb

+

LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2-8.1.6.img.gz

to the Update folder on the NAND - correct?

(using a NEXBOX S905X with currently 8.0.* @ NAND installed)

Not sure what version you have, but I just copy the latest xx.img.gz to the update folder, but I think, the xxx.tar works as well.

I also check to see if there is a newer device tree & put that in the update folder as well.

IF, you find any issues with a newer version, you can just put a previous version in the update folder.

No settings are lost.

Thanks mate

I am just downloading: LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2-8.1.6.img.gz

How do I know if I need a "device tree" ?

Regards

Hi

I am using Kodi 8.02 on my A95x Nexbox and i have the following problem.

Sometimes I am missing movies in my libary. this problem isn ot very time. the movies are locyted on a 3.5" USB hdd which is directly plugged in.

when entering videos/files/usb source i can find all movies.

but not via /movies/

How can i solve this problem without entering verytime video/files/source/... very time :(

thanks so far

biesa