Posts by ChimeyJimmey

However,

I'm a bit old-school.

I want, in my home, entertainment devices to be quiet, energy efficient and lossless as much as possible. And per cent, of course.

So,

this issue still bothers me.

Well, not so much now, with the USB power control workaround... :)

But inputstream/widevine failure to achieve flawless 720p playback, while S905x boxes can... This I cannot forgive on S912. Putting the box back in the drawer as cold spare... :)

After some more testing with my S905/S905X/S912 boxes - I stand corrected.

Two Philips TV sets are able to power the boxes from USB power feed ONLY.

So,

the workaround with TV set, controlling the box via USB power, is absolutely applicable,

on one condition: no other USB power-hungry devices attached to the box. :)

And - on S912 Android is not able to operate - not enough power, LE is working, though...

Therefore,

there are two feasable workarounds for the H96Pro+ S912 boxes at the moment:

1. Reboot from LE to Android and power off/on

2. Power the box from TV USB port via USB A-to-A cable. When you switch off the box, the CEC will switch off TV, AV receiver(s) and etc.

When you power on the TV (AV receiver) - the box will be powered on automatically and, presumably, boot into LE.

Bare in mind that power feed USB port on H96Pro+ boxes might be only one - discover it empirically. ;)

and

3. zed85 provides information for the ROM with working boot/u-boot, users test it, if it works - we all flash this boot/u-boot.

Happy! :P

It seems that's all, folks.

For now... :)

zed85

So,

your current situation is:

- booting LE from SD/TF card

- Android ROM is broken, cannot load

Would you be willing to check some things in the Android ROM via LE?

For example,

once the LE has booted,

check whether the internal partitions are visible:

Code
    H96:~ # blkid
    /dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
    /dev/cache: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/tee: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/system: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/data: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/mmcblk1: PTUUID="70347706" PTTYPE="dos"
    /dev/mmcblk1p1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL="LIBREELEC" UUID="2301-1436" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="70347706-01"
    /dev/mmcblk1p2: LABEL="STORAGE" UUID="8fbb1db9-b05f-4805-a71c-9ce8a0989c23" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="70347706-02"
    /dev/sda1: LABEL="WD500" UUID="04C04E181F1814A1" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="f1961b10-01"

Then:

Code
    H96:~ # mkdir /media/system
    H96:~ # mount /dev/system /media/system

And get us the "build.prop" contents, for starters:

Code
    H96:~ # cat /media/system/build.prop

Or if you can copy the whole build.prop file and attach it here to review it - it will be best.

This will show us the version of your broken Android ROM, to look for it and test its boot/u-boot.

Your assistance is much appreciated! :thumbup:

kostaman

Your workaround might be valid for not that power-hungry USB dongles.

But for an H96Pro+ box, performance boosted, we need:

FaithfulElectricKilldeer-max-1mb.gif

Nevertheless,

it's a good hint, so users should test this on their setups, did not work on mine, but it's a bit proprietary.

TV controlling the box power via USB is a workaround, if the power... :thumbup:

And who wants Android as base for Mediacenter really?!😉

With the current state of LE (regardless 8.x, 9.x) for S912 (H96Pro+), I do NOT see any benefits in running it on such box, in comparison to properly tuned Android 7.1.2 ROM.

In fact - I've recently switched back to Android and it suits my needs perfectly fine.

Just bare in mind - this is a special case (my case): H96Pro+ (S912)... ;)

I guess (almost) nobody was aware when bought the box... :D

It simply was NOT built to run LE OOB (out-of-the-box).

I find it puzzling that your box does not automatically boot into LE from the placed SD/TF card, each time it has been powered on.

Maybe you're "fake" powering off your Android.

Check the power button settings in Android and set it to REALLY power off the box, not sleep/suspend it.

Mine does exactly that. ;)