Posts by sakos

Just select deinterlace to Bob (x2) and then set as default for all videos and the problem is gone.
    Note, Bob (x2) was the default on Jarvis so you haven't lost anything.

Currently advanced deinterlace is not compatible with some dvb dongles running on the same Pi.

Just for curiosity, what do you mean on Bob (x2)? I can find only Bob and Bob (half). There is no Bob (x2) option. Are Bob (x2) and Bob (half) the same? I am asking because Bob(half) produces unwatchable picture while the picture is smooth with Bob.

ADSP removal in the Final 8.0.0 release is completely intentional as the ADSP system remains unstable and crashes systems. Its removal in Final only looks odd because you're coming to it from an alpha/beta build where you could enable ADSP.

The fact some alpha/beta testers still have these unsupported alpha/beta ADSP add-ons installed is something we can't "undo", and is why those users still see these add-ons in their 8.0.0 system. Users coming to 8.0.0 from LE7 won't know anything about ADSP, and won't be able to enable it or install any ADSP add-ons.

tl;dr: there's not much we can do about add-ons installed by users during the alpha/beta cycle and which didn't make it into the official Final release.

milhouse, first of all thanks for your response and valuable work in LE. I really appreciate.

I am not sure if you had time to read the complete topic. My concern was not the removal of ADSP addons availability in 8.0.0 final.
    Instead the problem how Kodi works after that. The ADSP enable/disable option is still present in the system settings and it works. The previously installed ADSP addons are still working, only the access to the addon configuration window is blocked. It is odd.
    The correct way would have been making the ADSP checkbox grey and disabled by default. Then it would be obvious for anyone that the feature is blocked by decision.

Nevertheless, is there any progress in ADSP fix? When can the feature be expected back again?

Use LE7.90.008. This contains the last Kodi version where graphical EQ GUI is working. BTW the EQ is still able to work in later releases with the inherited settings from 7.90.008.

I am a bit restricted in choosing another version because I have to use a version from the odroid forum since I am using DVB-T2 hardware not supported by older 3.x kernels.
    [/quote]
    LE7.90.008 contains 4.8.4 kernel

Thank you. It's really not working from within the GUI. Thererfore I am going to wait until the bad decision re. DSP is revised and gone.

Use LE7.90.008. This contains the last Kodi version where graphical EQ GUI is working. BTW the EQ is still able to work in later releases with the inherited settings from 7.90.008. The additional problem is that ADSP is not working after restart. You have to disable/enable it then it works.
    So the removal of the ADSP support is done on a very odd way. It much more looks like a fault than and intended removal. :@

Closing Notes:
    Running the command in the script technically does not do anything, it actually just generates an error:

Code
    # DISPLAY=:0 /usr/lib/kodi/kodi-xrandr --output HDMI1 --auto
    warning: output HDMI1 not found; ignoring

And yet, apparently this is enough for the system to quarry the audio device to see if it exists. As a result, the audio begins working again. I guess it is a little bizarre, but not really more so than opening System -> Settings as a fix.

Hi,

Yes, it is a bizarre solution.

1. No new folder is needed. Put the script into /storage/.config/sleep.d/

2. Try to run "xrandr --listmonitors" command to list the name of active display and use that name in your script.

example printout:

Code
    htpc2:~ # xrandr --listmonitors
    Monitors: 1
     0: +*HDMI-0 1920/1218x1080/685+0+0  HDMI-0

In this case the proper name is HDMI-0.

3. The elegant way of recovering the audio below. More details here

Bash
    #!/bin/sh
    case $1 in
       pre)
         ;;
       post)
         sleep 5
         xrandr --output HDMI-0 --set "audio" "on"
         ;;
    esac

RAM/GPU overclocking should help as well. Push it as far as possible.

I will. However I am very disappointed. So far I thought RPi is very capable for a HTPC with DVB receiving capability. Now I can see it is on the edge when wathcing a single HD channel. I assume paralel recording or timeshifting can be completely forgotten.

A quick test is done with the custom build. (I checked the kernel version which was 4.8) The HW setup is Raspberry Pi2 with a DVBSky S960 USB DVB-S2 tuner. Eurosport HD channel on 0,8W

- after installation, Continuity counter errors (CCE) and picture disturbances ~2 per minute rate
    - applying "vcgencmd arbiter set arm_uc 12 0": no significant change in CCE frequency
    - selecting BOB MMAL deinterlacing (with arm_uc at 12): significant improvement. No CCE for 10 minutes then some error appeared in the log. Anyway the system is at watchable level. :) Long term test is starting.
    - setting arm_uc back to default 10. Increased error rate to ~1 per two minutes.

It seems that combination of arm_uc increase and lighter deinterlacing selection improves the behavior. I think this test also confirms that the root cause is a performance issue. The arm_uc increase does not help in itself. The BOB interlace helps a bit in itself.
    Nevertheless, I have to highlight that this working setup was not tested with 4.9 kernel, furthermore I have not found any difference yet between the two kernels. The error rates were similar with both kernels and arm_uc increase did not help in either case.

Thank you all! I will investigate according to proposals and come back with the result.

Here comes the findings.
    The fault comes only if both the backend and client runs on the same RPi. If I stop the client and play the stream on an external client then the playback is fine. This is very similar what smp reported.

Open questions:
    - "vcgencmd arbiter set arm_uc 12 0" command improves the behavior but it is still present. Shall I try with other parameters?
    - "Switch from Advanced deinterlacing to Bob". There are only MMAL BOB and MMAL BOB halved options. By selecting them there is no picture. The configured HW acceleration is OMX and not MMAL. Does it matter?
    - "Linux kernel 4.9.x perform poorly on the Pi." I saw the same behavior with LE7.0.2 does it contain the same kernel? Is it worth testing with smp's custom build linked in other thread?