Posts by yoinx

This can be done without kernel modifications. See:
    Raspberry Pi • View topic - Controlling LAN LEDs individually

As compiling on LE is tricky, here is a build I did on raspbian that works fine on LE.

Code
    wget -O llctl "https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B-6zmEDJwxZEbmJkU3g2MlhMQWs&export=download"
    chmod +x llctl

You can now turn off LEDS with

Code
    ./llctl f0 l0 d0

and turn them on with

Code
    ./llctl f1 l1 d1

Thanks, this works great for me. I may re-host the binary on my own drive or network just to ensure it's always available, but using the link you provided works in autostart to make the box lightless as:

Thanks again, and ignore my PR since this already able to be done from userspace.

The PR should be sent here: https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux then it benefits all RPi users, not just LE, and becomes something we pick up in the RPi backports patch we rebase as part of minor kernel bumps. The folks who maintain that repo will also evaluate and judge whether it's something that should go further upstream to the mainline kernel.

Fair enough, I'll send it there instead.

It wasn't mine originally, and don't actually know the emails and such that would maintain proper authorship for it either. Though, I think it can be cleaned up a little anyway.

Thanks for the proper link.

If whatever change you're thinking up is worthwhile it should be submitted to the linux kernel. Then we'll pick up the change in a future kernel release. Patches and hacks are out of fashion around here :)

I don't know. It's a pretty usecase specific patch, since it would only be something that someone using an RPi2 (3 maybe as well) as an HTPC would really be interested in. I doubt it would be of any interest to linux mainline. Though, at the same time it doesn't look like it hurts anything either.

This drives me nuts as well as my RPi2 is in my bedroom and the LEDs flashing at night can be an annoyance. I have the patch that Iridium mentioned and tested on the system that the patch was made for. I'm currently syncing/building LibreElec though. As long as the patch works here as well, I will submit it to the team as a Pull Request... so hopefully you'll have the ability in the official builds soon ;)