Posts by boolean

Thanks for your reply! However, there's one thing I don't understand. You said "we are not planning to re-engineer Kodi audio support to accommodate alsa in the OS", but haven't you already? To my knowledge (which may be flawed) LibreELEC uses ALSA to interface with the HiFiBerry HAT's. The latest binary of OMXPlayer supports ALSA as well, so wouldn't this be an easy fix or am I missing something here?

I'm not calling videos through the command line (at least not on LibreELEC), it was just an example on which parameter you should use to get OMXPlayer talking to ALSA.

The main reason I opened this thread is because I didn't (and still don't) understand the move from OMXPlayer to MMAL. When using Kodi on Raspbian with the latest OMXPlayer installed (with ALSA suppport) I noticed far less strain on the CPU cores than when using MMAL in the same environment. Besides, all RPi's share the same GPU so what's the advantage of moving to MMAL?

Please help me understand :(

OMXPlayer supports ALSA for some time now [omxplayer -o alsa yourvideofile] but it hasn't been implemented on LibreELEC yet.
    I agree that MMAL works fine, but using OMXPlayer still has its advantage. CPU usage will decrease so your RPi3 has spare cycles to compute other things.

Will this be implemented in the future?