Posts by tutoia

Sharing a quick idea to run both Libreelec and Lakka on the same machine…

First of all, I know there are few distributions or addons already putting together both Kodi and Retroarch, such as Sx05RE, ScottElec, “Bolt Ons” etc. These are good initiatives; I really appreciate the effort. However, in order to keep up with the lastest Kodi and Retroarch updates their developers have to constantly catch up, which is not always the case.

So, ideally I want pure Libreelec and pure Lakka running on the same S905(X) box – that would grant me the most flexible setup.

My approach for few weeks was to use two SD cards, one for each system, swapping them and rebooting. Of course, after few swaps I felt not only bothered by having to manually deal with tiny cards floating around, but also concerned that at some point the box’s SD reader would break… these cheap S905(X) boxes are quite fragile.

So, to avoid swapping SD cards I came to the following solution:

1) install Lakka to internal eMMC, using installtointernal command. There’s no way around it, so I lost my original Android installation. Not a big deal, though, I barely used it.

2) keep Kzsaq’s Libreelec on a SD card.

So, having Libreelec SD card on at all times means it will always boot to Kodi after powering on.

Meanwhile, anytime I want to go to Lakka, I just run “Reboot from internal” from Kodi’s power menu. That reboots to Lakka, now installed in the internal memory.

And to go back to Libreelec, simply reboot it from Retroarch's interface. The box goes back to its standard state, i.e. boot from SD card.

That’s a simple setup, but allows me to use the lastest Lakka and Libreelec without having to tinker with complex dualboot programming or dealing with hardware SD card swaps. In other words, I can switch systems from my couch!

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'll take a look and then I'm betting I'll do my own :dodgy:

Jeffers, just like you i'm having a hard time figuring out how to make remote.conf works. Here's what i've tried so far:

• placed a remote.conf file on /storage/.config that i've created from scratch to use on kszaq's LibreELEC 7.0.3 (working perfectly there). No luck;
    • created a new one, using as a source a remote.conf.txt shared few pages before in this thread that doesn't contain any non-ANSI characters. No luck;
    • tried the file from /etc folder in the original android nand partition. No luck;
    • enable and disabled lirc on LibreElec settings. Again, no luck...

Kszaq said also few pages before that lirc is not working on 8.1.x I guess, except if you use C2 (which is not my case). So maybe that's the explanation..

My box is a Beelink MXIII II and at least its original remote control have most of its keys working out of the box on LE 8.1.5, so it's not the end of the world :shy:. Anyway it would be good to get it all working, like it used to on 7.0.3.

Thanks!!

I've changed the remote.conf for the Beelink MXIII II remote control with number keys, making use of possibly all keys while leaving numbered ones as numbers.

remote.conf: