Posts by stack

Greetings,

I've been using this TV with an RPi4 since around early-to-mid 2020 and if I remember correctly I started with LibreElec 9 which did everything I needed it to so I just kinda stuck on it. Well, until the SD card died. :(

I remember I had a hell of a fight getting the 1920x1080 resolution to work on my TV with LibreElec 9, but I don't remember the details and the SD card with them is dead. I just spent a few hours fighting today and I'm weary and worn. Here's what I know.

If I go back to LibreElec 9, I may not get 1920x1080 resolution but it defaults to 1366x768 and at this point I would be crazy happy to simply have that on 11. ANY release above 9, all I EVER get is "No Signal" and it doesn't matter what I do. Unfortunately, I didn't discover that all the guides for hdmi_mode don't work anymore since 10+ until after I spent an hour trying every possible combination. :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

So then I switched to editing the cmdline.txt parameters. Scouring the forums I found various recommendations to try things like "video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080M@60" and/or "vc4.force_hotplug=1" and/or other recommendations. So I spent a long time trying options there and trying every possible variation for any of the supported resolutions this TV is supposed to have... Nothing but "No Signal". Every time.

So I tried a fresh clean copy to the drive and tried what I found in the documentation for 'getedid create'. That gave me hope for the briefest of moments when I got "Unsupported Mode" followed by a black screen flash then "No Signal". Not sure that's progress though...

I've tried different ports on the TV. I've tried both ports on the RPI4. I'm flat out of ideas on what to try next.

Honestly at this point, I don't even care if I go back to 9 or use 11. At least with 9 I know I can get a lower resolution to work, but I'd really like my full resolution. But if 11 is any indication of the future then it's probably good that I figure out how to get _any_ output at all from 11. But again... right now, any help to get either 9 or 11 working at proper resolution would be greatly appreciated.

Can someone assist me please?
    Thank you!

The official docs for a long time basically said "Don't go over 512MB; there be dragons and boot problems over yonder. Plus, there's little benefit."
    Not sure when it changed, but there is now a 1GB max memory recommendation for the RPi4.

I played with a bunch of config options and I scrape metrics every 10 seconds so I can compare videos against various tweaking. It's pretty rare that the videos I throw at it are ever more than 100MB of used GPU memory.

I've not found a reason for why going over 320MB would be beneficial, but as long as you are greater than 128MB you should be fine.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Hrmmm.... I just noticed that the official docs now recommend not going over 256 on the RPi4 because of how the RPi4 handles memory. Hrm. I might need to do some testing.
    Memory options in config.txt - Raspberry Pi Documentation

I'm running RPi4. Originally got the 4Gb version, but that was WAY over kill. Nothing came close to filling that, though I did have limited memory issues on my Pi3 so I bought another Pi4 2Gb version and swapped out (will use the 4G for another project). The network bandwidth of a proper Gb connection has been very useful in preventing some of the stuttering I had on the Pi3. Overall, I've been very pleased with the Pi4 over my Pi3 in terms of performance and playback. A lot of videos I had issues playing on the RPi3 have worked flawlessly for me on the RPi4.

The one thing I do need to do is dig into buffer optimizations. I've assigned 512GB for GPU and the rest of the 1.4Gb to main memory. Some of the bluray demos and super HQ youtube videos I downloaded from the internet to stress the Pi4 will play perfect, pause as it buffers, play, pause, play, repeat.... My Pi3 will play them smoothly, but the video is unwatchable. Running a every 5 second check to grab gpu/memory usage and it's barely using the memory. There's a lot of guides for RPi2/3 memory buffer tuning, but I've not seen any explicitly for RPi4 and haven't had the time to test the same changes on my RPi4.

I will also say that on every update, I've noticed big improvements on the RPi4. If interested, I can post some of the performance metrics I've taken.

Greetings,

My primary HTPC finally died after many years of service. I replaced it with a Raspberry Pi 4 (4Gb memory version), installed the latest libreelec, and for the video content I watch it has performed excellently in the visual department. It was running a bit hot so I bought one of the Kodi aluminum cases and dropped the temp nearly 10C! Awesome! However, my 5.1 audio off the Rpi4 is just a 3.5mm splitter...AKA, I really need to do something about the audio...

Because the case is the heat sink, I can't add one of the popular Pi Hats. Some of the recommended USB audio that I've seen for the RPi4's are the RCA connections not the 3.5mm that my 5.1 speakers have (they are just normal computer system plugs). So the only USB-to-3.5mm one that I've found anyone reviewing for Rpi4 is the StarTech.com ICUSBAUDIO7D 7.1 but that was for a different project and I've not found any reviews for it with Kodi or Libreelec. I realize that I'm not going to get super great audio, but just about anything that produces reliable sound is going to be better than a single 3.5mm output joined to many speakers via a splitter! ^^

Any thoughts or suggestions for what I should do? Is there a better product for USB->3.5mm 5.1 (or better) audio that I should consider for a RPi4?

Thanks!

Sorry to drag this thread up again, however, a relevant update. Under 8.0.1 the remote sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. It's just been a so-low-priority that I never got around to figuring out why. I never got reliable behavior even when I tried making my own config files.

Well, today I had a bit of time to kill so i thought, why not attempt this again? The wife pretty much won't touch this if it has a keyboard, but will use the remote so it is worth getting it working again.

First thing I did, update to 8.0.2. I can't get it to work at all. Wipe the SD card, install 8.0.2 fresh. Nothing works. Not the defaults. Nor the /storage/.kodi/userdata/Lircmap.xml and /storage/.config/lircd.conf that I copied from another Kodi system (Ubuntu based) where this remote works perfectly. Nothing.

Let's try 7.0.3 again. Dang thing works right off the bat with ZERO modification!! So I absolutely know it isn't the hardware now!

Wipe the SD card again and slap 8.0.2 back on. Nothing. Nada. Zero. Zilch. Bupkis.

This last round I did *NOT* restore from a backup. Just made changes on my own hoping the defaults would fix it.

I used the interface to generate WMEb paste.

Any help getting this working would be appreciated. I'm 2 hours in tonight and the only thing that works is downgrading to 7.0.3. :(

What else can I try?

Thanks!

This could be the culprit. Please upload the full dmesg

Code
    dmesg | paste

I turned off the device, so this is a fresh boot. Here is the link: BNMc

The majority of USB errors on RPi are caused by insufficient power supplies. Try another power supply and also check with the following command if an undervoltage condition has occurred

Code
    vcgencmd get_throttled

It should print "throttled=0x0", if you got anything else please post the full output.

That is what I get:

Code
    # vcgencmd get_throttled
    throttled=0x0

Thanks!
    ~Stack~

I had nearly the same experience with a HP USB MCE. Sometimes a key will respond, or with a long delay. I deleted lircd.conf and Lircmap.xml and everything is working. I think still something wrong in 8.0.1. In 8.0.0 the remote doesn't work at all. So a little progress. In 7.0.3 no problem.

Since the Raspberry Pi uses a squash-fs for its / file system, how do you delete those files without recompiling the image?

Thanks!
    ~Stack~

Code
    # ir-keytable
    Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event2) with:
        Driver mceusb, table rc-rc6-mce
        Supported protocols: unknown other lirc rc-5 rc-5-sz jvc sony nec sanyo mce-kbd rc-6 sharp xmp
        Enabled protocols: lirc nec rc-6
        Name: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared
        bus: 3, vendor/product: 147a:e03e, version: 0x1101
        Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
    # lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 006: ID 147a:e03e Formosa Industrial Computing, Inc. Infrared Receiver [IR605A/Q]

Greetings,
    I was running 7.0.3 on a Raspberry Pi 3 with a Rosewill RHRC-12001 MCE Infrared remote which I have used with Kodi for many years.

I had some spare time to do an update, so I did a manual update. I downloaded LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.0.1.tar into the /storage/.update folder and rebooted. Install seems to have gone well. It rebooted itself and all looks good. Except the remote doesn't work...

I plugged in a USB keyboard and that is working just fine. Plugged the remote into a second Kodi install (on a Ubuntu system) and it works so I know it isn't the hardware.

When I look at the Pi, the ir receiver is there. When I push buttons on the remote, the ir receiver lights up but nothing happens in Kodi.

I am poking around in the Kodi menus seeing if anything changed there, but nothing obvious is jumping out at me as being different.

Has anyone else had issues with their remote after upgrading?
    Thoughts on things to try?

Thanks!
    ~Stack~

[Edit]: Saw some interesting errors in the log files.

Code
    mceusb 1-1.5:1.0: Error: urb status = -32

Not sure yet what or why on that, but I reset the the IR receiver. Below is the dmesg output, but no luck so far.

EDIT: SOLVED!!
    I was at a Python meetup today. A guy was doing a project on a Pi3. A group started to chat about Pi3 and to get to the point, I mentioned my issues with the remote and OpenELEC. A suggestion came forward. Wipe and start fresh WITHOUT the remote receiver plugged in. After the setup menu, plug in. He claimed he's never gotten OpenELEC or LibreELEC to work with his remote if it is physically plugged in when he does an update. I thought it was worth a try. So 8.0.2 fresh install, got through the intro config menu, then plugged in the remote.

Dang thing worked!

WTF? I have no idea why that would work except there has to be a setup script that doesn't run right on initial boot or maybe it runs better after the services are all started? Dunno. Those are just wild guesses. Regardless, I can shutdown, reboot, whatever and it still works afterwards.

If anyone else is having issues, it's an easy try to see if it works for you. I will keep this in mind for future upgrades.