Posts by liyin

Yes, I can confirm that OSMC (Kodi) does sync reliably with NTP servers at boot time.

First line when booting OSMC: " [Ok] Started Set Time using HTTP query "

This is a first after trying several distros over the years.

But you must use the default Kodi skin (Estuary) or you won't see the Add-ons menu (hidden).

Can anyone confirm if LibreELEC syncs reliably with NTP servers at boot time on a Raspberry Pi 2/3? (lost a card in the process)

I thought of installing Raspbian, but it also has issues keeping the current time on the Raspberry Pi 3.

I have tried several distros over the years and the Raspberry Pi 2 didn't sync with NTP servers at boot time.

LibreELEC had the same issue and even if the problem with saving the initial setup was caused by a faulty card, another user posted a problem with setting time using NTP servers on his Raspberry Pi.

Can anyone confirm if LibreELEC syncs reliably with NTP servers at boot time on a Raspberry Pi 2/3? (lost a card in the process)

======== SOLUTION ========

I found a SanDisk Extreme card and installed OSMC and it automatically syncs with NTP servers at boot time.

The first line when booting OSMC is: " [Ok] Started Set Time using HTTP query "

And it does what all the other distros I've tried didn't, it syncs flawlessly with NTP servers.

OSMC does require changing the sking to Estuary, or you won't find the Kodi Add-ons menu (hidden).

Whatever the issue is with syncing to NTP servers on the Raspberry Pi, OSMC shows it can be done.

Don't know if this is true, but just read that when a card is close to failing completely it enters a write-protected state to allow the user to recover the files in it.

Nothing seems to be able to write to it, so going to buy a new card, but will try with a much slower card in the meantime.

The timing couldn't be worse (when trying a new OS).

I have a similar problem and have set the wait for network and location settings.

But the Raspberry Pi doesn't have a way to save the time when you turned it off.

On the Raspberry Pi, the OS must get the time from a NTP server on a set schedule or on boot so the apps running on top of the OS have the right time.

Or via a script if the task is left to the user.

I don't see how this is an issue with Kodi.

The microSD card is a Samsung EVO used for the Raspberry Pi.

After using the LibreELEC USB-SD Creator tool it appears as write protected using 2 different PCs (gaming and desktop) and using 2 different unlocked SD adapters (Samsung and SanDisk).

I can't format the card using SDFormatter 4.0.

Never had a problem with the microSD card before.

Is it possible for a microSD to be write-protected without a SD adapter? This would explain why Kodi is showing initial setup when the Raspberry Pi is turned on.
    [hr]
    Wrote the image a second time to the microSD card using the LibreELEC USB-SD Creator tool, but Raspberry Pi is not loading the image.

SDFormatter can't format the card, but I can rename, create, and save files to the microSD card in Windows File Explorer.

Ran "chkdsk" without problems.
    [hr]
    Tried a third time, downloaded image and wrote to the card using the LibreELEC tool (no checksum error).

This time everything is working as the first time, but when I reboot the system I keep getting the Welcome screen (to set computer name, etc).

I'm back to the same issue I had before.

It seems the system on Raspberry Pi is (like SDFormatter on Windows) unable to write to the microSD.

Is strange that SDFormatter can't write to the card after using the LibreELEC tool, but the LibreELEC tool can write to the card.

Maybe it is the LibreELEC tool that causes the issue with both the Raspberry Pi (LibreELEC/Kodi) and Windows (SDFormatter).

Installed the latest stable LibreELEC with Kodi 17.1 on a Raspberry Pi 2 (16GB microSD), but the next day I got the same initial setup screen (asking to set computer name, etc) as the day before when I installed the software.

I can understand the Raspberry not keeping the time, even though I set it to wait for the network before loading Kodi, but not saving the initial setup was unexpected.

Is there a way to fix both issues?