Posts by Morphy

For me, upgrading to a recent LE11 nightly running Kodi 20 final has solved this buffering/video freezing issue completely.

I've tested LE11 beta and I'm still getting the same issues.

It would be useful to confirm if the issue is reproducible from a recorded file (played through file interface of kodi).

If it is we can investigate the file.

I doubt this would work as the issue appears to manifest when there is a problem with a network stream.

I think kodi just doesn't recover well when switching into and out of buffering where there isn't enough network bandwidth between the client and server.

I used to have issue like this when using a wifi connection, but it's been perfect since switching to wired.

I will test with the debug logging suggested but the issue isn't a poor connection, both client and server are hardwired on the local LAN. In my case it's likely my TVH server is having moments it struggles to re-encode the h264 stream. I have to use this feature as the build of Hyperion I'm using doesn't like the native resolution of SD channels.

I know of another user which has the same issues with a HDHomerun setup. Their RPi4 client and HDHR tuner are hard-wired into a Mesh WiFi network so that's obviously the issue there. Unfortunately there is no cost effective solution there to hard-wire either.

We can both live with occasional drop outs, it's the fact Kodi doesn't recover without interaction from the user that's annoying.

LG are notoriously bad for CEC. I have Samsungs and they work fine with other devices. What I don't understand is why CECStandby doesn't work but cec-ctl -d/dev/cec0 --to 0 --standby does

I also have a broadlink universal blaster controlled by Home Assistant but for another room I don't want to have to buy another for something which should work with the built in remote.

I have tested all, kodi-send -a "CECActivateSource" worked fine, remaining commands did not work but I suppose it's due my old TV which is not fully compatible with all CEC commands.

Thanks again for your quick reply.

I don't think this is due to an old TV, I have a 2021 Samsung and "CECActivateSource" is the only one worked for me too.

I have managed to get this command working to put into standby:

Code
    cec-ctl -d/dev/cec0 --to 0 --standby

However, it would mean having separate buttons on my remote to control the power unless someone cleverer than me could come up with a script to toggle one button.

EDIT: I just realised @dudumaroja posted the same thing but his code block confused me ^^

I'm having a similar issue. I can get CECActivateSource to work but CECToggleState will only power on my TV it won't put it into standby. I tried the above mentioned vc4.force_hotplug=1 and nothing works. At one point I did have CECStandby working too but I can't recreate this now.

I'm on LE 10.0.3 RPi 4B connected to Samsung TV + Sony AVR. My cec_CEC_Adapter.xml in peripheral_data looks like this:

Since starting to use LE 10 on my RPi 4 with TVHeadend for live TV, I've had some intermittent issues which cause the picture to freeze but the audio keeps playing. I think it's happening when the stream has some errors which the video player on the RPi doesn't recover from. I'm guessing it's either network traffic or CPU usage on my TVH server which can cause inconsistencies in the TVH stream. I do some re-encoding on the SD streams to make them compatible with Hyperion (a bit of a hack). This may have happened on LE9 but the picture never froze like this. However, I didn't re-encode TVH streams on that as Hyperion worked fine. Skipping forward or backward resumes the video but I'd like to try and eliminate this completely as it gets annoying if the remote isn't to hand.

Here's a quick log excerpt which may be of some relevance:

I've tried adding some settings to advancedsettings.xml but they don't appear to have helped:

Code
    <buffermode>1</buffermode> <!-- Comment: Default is 1 -->
    <readbufferfactor>4.0</readbufferfactor> <!-- Comment: Default is 1.0 ->
    <skiploopfilter>32</skiploopfilter>

the 'Back' button on the home screen opens the Weather App/Window in Kodi.

Did you find an answer to this? I've noticed on a new Samsung TV the Exit button occasionally brings up the weather window. I've remapped it to be a context menu button but it's certainly behaving strange. It appears to function as delete in PVR instead of bringing up the context menu.

Also, does the guide button and channel up/down work for you? It works on my old Samsung but not new one.

I was hoping if there was some device we could set up in universal remote so we can use these buttons with Kodi.

Running just the TVheadend client on LE8 would be better choice on the Pi Zero 2, the base in-use memory footprint is less than half that of LE9 so leaving enough to be reasonable. Plus LE11 is almost 1.5x that of LE8, so I would expect that the 512MB ceiling would certainly become a problem.

Thanks for that info, I'll consider it if things don't go well with LE9. So far it's running nicely with only 30% memory usage. (100mb/339mb)

The earlier screenshot simply shows the differences on the squashfs based

Thanks for the explanation! That is indeed another way to get the job done. I was going to suggest fetching the files from the RPi Github but I had an already flashed SD with buster on it so I just used that. Your new method would require a Keyboard being attached as well which not everyone has.

I've just created a base image of the RPi0-2 LE9 with the correct drivers and then I can just replicate that as needed.

Synerworks  HiassofT You're both legends! Got it working and it works great so far!

I'll see if I can summarise what I did to get it working as I was a bit confused by a couple of things:

1. Download LE9: https://releases.libreelec.tv/…LEC-RPi2.arm-9.2.8.img.gz
    2. Download LE11 Nightly: https://test.libreelec.tv/Libr…y-20211210-7f19d9f.img.gz
    3. Copy "bcm2710-rpi-3-b.dtb" from the LIBREELEC partition on the LE11 SD card to the same partition on the LE9 SD but rename to "bcm2710-rpi-zero-2.dtb".
    4. Copy "fixup.dat" and "start.elf" from the LIBREELEC partition on the LE11 SD card to the same partition on the LE9 SD card, overwriting the existing files.

Now this is where I had experiment a little as I wasn't quite sure what was going on in your screenshot Synerworks. I decided the method suggested by HiassofT was a bit easier than booting a RPi OS SD and setting up samba to get the files off.

1. With the help of Linux installation insert the RPi OS and go to the mounted folder /media/.../rootfs/usr/lib/firmware/brcm and run this command: sudo mv brcmfmac43436-sdio.txt ~/brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt
    2. Then the other fw file needed: sudo mv brcmfmac43436-sdio.bin ~/brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin
    3. Then reinsert the LE9 SD Card and copy the two files over to /media/.../STORAGE/.config/firmware/brcm
    4. Boot and enjoy!

Synerworks that's awesome! Thanks for the guide! I knew someone would've hacked together a working LE build for it. I got as far as the LE logo in my attempts earlier 😄

Does the memory issue cause many problems? I only need it to act as a tvheadend client, so only watching live TV, do you think this will be a problem?

trent

Thanks for confirming the issue! I guess they are new and not exactly ideal for LE due to the lack of memory so there is no rush to get them supported. The pi hut in the UK has them in stock, limited to one per order though. I've got a spare one I'd be willing to donate if any Devs want to play drop me a pm 🙂

Having tried a couple of nightly's I've had some problems finding one that works OK for me. I just want to use a RPi Zero 2 as a Live TV client with TVHeadend. Unfortunately every time I install the addon it keeps disconnecting from my TVH server. I would be happy with LE9 if it worked with the Zero 2 but it doesn't.

So far I've tried:

LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-11.0-nightly-20211210-7f19d9f

won't even boot, I just get the rainbow splash screen.

LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-11.0-nightly-20211202-53a5e7f

boots OK but issues with TVH and possibly WiFi. Had lots of dropped pings and various disconnections.

LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-11.0-nightly-20211207-6638105

boots OK but issues with TVH disconnecting. It's currently pinging OK but throughput is awful. Can't play any channels even SD ones.

Took a log of 20211207 with TVH failures and even tried pasting the log via LE addon but this kept failing too. Also tried to playback a channel with no luck.

Da Flex I can do that but for which bug! The latest I can't even boot from it so it's not going to be much to report. I've got the second most recent nightly, 20211207 working but I'm still seeing some packet loss and I can't even install TVHeadend for some reason.

I'm going to try rpi OS to see if the wifi issue is hardware related.

I've just tried LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-11.0-nightly-20211210-7f19d9f.img and it won't boot, I just get the rainbow splash screen.

LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-11.0-nightly-20211202-53a5e7f.img boots and seems to work apart from I have lots of issues with wifi dropping out and the LE settings not remembering the PSK. Is there a more stable nightly that anyone is using?

From what I've read, this is basically a stripped down under-clocked RPi3. Would the stable LE9 work or is there some kind of hack we can do to get it working with this more stable code base?