[9.0.0] LibreELEC builds for MX2/G18

• Unfortunately, there are problems with the recently published image, so I do not recommend using it for now.

qUE_ARM

I have sent you a message about how to resolve these issues, please read them.

• LibreELEC-AML 9.2.8.8 (built 2nd March 2023) update for the Matricom G-Box MX/MX2 (AML8276-MX HD18 board)

See post #341 for instructions on how to clean install, otherwise update as normal through copying to .update

qUE_ARM
    January 23, 2023 at 7:29 PM

Main fix I've added in this build is for the freezing on h264 (high) streams being interrupted by seeking or stop (which effects the Kodi BBC iPlayer add-on).

Credit goes to dtech for maintaining and supporting this fork of LibreELEC.

Update archive (copy to .update, as per instructions on first page);

[link expired]

Projects archive (for building LibreELEC-AML yourself, again see post #341);

[link expired]

Links will be solidified and updated once I've run it on my STB box for a while without issue, for now grab it while you can.

qUE

Edited once, last by qUE_ARM (November 30, 2023 at 2:01 PM).

• LibreELEC-AML 9.2.8.8 (built 2nd March 2023) update for the Matricom G-Box MX/MX2 (AML8276-MX HD18 board)

qUE

Thanks for your work. Unfortunately after applying this update using the .update folder method, my g18ref reboots into recovery.

I was using the latest 9.0 devel, but the same thing happens when updating from LibreELEC-Amlogic_MX2.arm-8.0.2-update.zip

The same thing also happens when following post #341 of reloading matricom_g18_1.2.zip, updating uboot, and loading LibreELEC-Amlogic_MX2.arm-7.95.3.zip, before updating to LibreELEC-Amlogic_MX2.arm-9.2.8.8-20230802.tar

LibreELEC-Amlogic_MX2.arm-9.2.8.8-20230802.tar Doesn't seem to work for me. It extracts and installs fine, but wont boot into LibreElec, only recovery. Any ideas?

I got it to boot by replacing KERNEL and KERNEL.md5 with ones from LibreELEC-Amlogic_MX2.arm-9.0-devel-20190424160004-aca1ab5.tar, but would prefer to use your kernel if possible

Edited 4 times, last by fragtion (May 23, 2023 at 1:24 AM).

• Thanks for your work. Unfortunately after applying this update using the .update folder method, my g18ref reboots into recovery.

I was using the latest 9.0 devel, but the same thing happens when updating from LibreELEC-Amlogic_MX2.arm-8.0.2-update.zip

The same thing also happens when following post #341 of reloading matricom_g18_1.2.zip, updating uboot, and loading LibreELEC-Amlogic_MX2.arm-7.95.3.zip, before updating to LibreELEC-Amlogic_MX2.arm-9.2.8.8-20230802.tar

LibreELEC-Amlogic_MX2.arm-9.2.8.8-20230802.tar Doesn't seem to work for me. It extracts and installs fine, but wont boot into LibreElec, only recovery. Any ideas?

I got it to boot by replacing KERNEL and KERNEL.md5 with ones from LibreELEC-Amlogic_MX2.arm-9.0-devel-20190424160004-aca1ab5.tar, but would prefer to use your kernel if possible

Sounds like you need to apply the u-boot environment patch, the kernel load bit in the boot script will crop the binary being loaded into memory if the patch hasn't been applied. see this post; RE: [9.0.0] LibreELEC builds for MX2/G18

• Greetings, I can’t apply the u-boot patch, can I somehow check whether it worked or not, is there another way to install the patch?

Unfortunately there isn't a simple way to verify the patch has taken, it's a blind patch. The only way you can actually see the environment variables in u-boot is to solder to the jtag pads on the board and use a FTDI cable with a serial terminal utility like putty, at that point printenv lists the set environment at the prompt.

TBH, if you have a working version of libreelec installed (i.e. 7.95), and the toothpick AV boot with SD inserted, arrives at the recovery, it means it's definitely booted from the SD and the patch should have applied.

I should mention the next boot should a normal one, not another toothpick AV boot, otherwise you're just re-applying the patch.

It's really important the environment is changed, it won't effect any older version from booting, but not applying it will prevent any newer builds working. It's a massive short sight of the stock firmware that OS kernel sizes wouldn't exceed 1MB.

Little bit of detail on what is modified;

The environment variable that is changed is 'nandboot'. Basically where it loads the kernel is changed to 'nand read boot \${loadaddr} 0 800000' in it's sub-script. As you can see 0x800000 = 8MB, where as that would've been 0x100000 before the patch.

I would've added some kind of notice (text/screen) it's been applied if I could, but u-boot's capabilities are very very basic. So not possible.

To re-iterate what needs to be done to patch, unpack aml_autoscript from aml_autoscript.zip to a blank SD and toothpick AV boot with the SD inserted in the STB.

Edit: I should also note, this will only work for NAND booting, I've not messed about with the SD boot side as to be cautious not to mess that up.

Edited once, last by qUE_ARM: Caveat (July 22, 2023 at 12:46 AM).

• Can i use it on a TV box that now has android 4.2.2? (its called doping box)
    It is the MBX reference motherboard q18ref

If yes i can use it, can i use it using the usb and not install it on the internal storage;

Also, i have not idea how can i install or boot a different operating system from usb or external sd card on a tv box, is there somewhere a guide how to for that box? Or someone can provide me a guide step by step to boot and use LibreELEC from USB?

Screenshot of the device model/specs:

• If the board/chipset is the same it may work, but the problem you have is the supporting peripheral chips like wired and wireless networking may be different, so you'll find those functions not working.

The box I have was an Android box and has an MX logo on the top, but I'm using MX2 firmware.

I'm not sure the boot process supports USB booting, SD booting is definitely supported, but like I said the modifications (based on work in this thread) I've made to get LibreElec-AML working do not touch the SD booting side and it'll likely still truncate the kernel binary load and then fail to boot.

Afaik, none of the images on this thread modify the u-boot bootloader, so theoretically you'll be safe from bricking the box. It's only if you run an official MX/MX2 bootloader mod script it'll break u-boot (which I have done), but as long as you can access the "JTAG" serial console it is reversible. I would just stick to trying Libreelec images and seeing what boots.

As long as you have the original firmware to roll back your box, it's worth trying images. Flashing the NAND (flash) isn't as destructive as I've heard several other places rant about. An SD will fail quicker than internal NAND, besides the NAND (flash) will get battered by any streaming you do anyway when it's used as cache by linux, so you have to accept it's wear either way.

• I've made a change to the order of the actions to install Libreelec-AML in post RE: [9.0.0] LibreELEC builds for MX2/G18, I hadn't noticed 7.95 resets the u-boot environment. Patching should come post the 7.95 install. Sorry if this has caused any confusion. Basically, if libreelec keeps going to recovery, try patching the u-boot environment as it's likely the kernel load truncation issue.