LibreELEC as virtual OS

• I am not quite linux literate enough to tackle mythtv, and I've read that LibreELEC is very user friendly. However, I prefer to stay with my Fedora 22 (+ cinnamon desktop), or a newer version of Fedora. Suppose that I use an OS virtualization application (e.g. Boxes, in cinnamon) to instal LibreELEC, and then install KODI inside the virtual OS. Will the pvr hardware be "passed through" so that it is accessible to the LibreELEC virtualization? If so, then I could avoid mythtv complexities, and still access KODI from within Fedora. HAS ANYONE DONE THIS?

If the desired hardware pass-through is problematic, can anyone suggest Fedora compatible pvr-backend software that is user friendly, with UP-TO-DATE installation instructions?

• I think you are confused about what you want to do

LibreELEC is a standalone linux distro built to run kodi. It has no package manager other than the kodi add-on system.

I think you are better off just installing tvheadend or vdr on your current machine to use the pvr hardware, then connect to that from the native kodi install on your machine.

• Thanks for your response; no, I'm not confused.

I suspect that you are right about bypassing LibreELEC for something like tvheadend. I've read that LibreELEC is user friendly, and it seems to be very popular with very good support. Therefore, I thought that it would be worth exploring having LibreELEC as a guest OS from within Fedora. I believe that this approach depends on whether the "hardware passthrough" is viable i.e. having the pvr hardware accessible to the LibreELEC [virtual] guest OS. HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS?

• Yes it's possible. I'm just saying it's not worth your time. You're wanting the overhead of running a virtual machine when you could just do it natively.

You will have to run tvheadend or vdr in LibreELEC anyways so your not really helping yourself out by doing what you are wanting to do.