Failed to update from OpenElec

• Hi Guys,

For the last couple of years, I've been using a Chromebox Asus CN60, with a standalone Openelec/Kodi installation. So far, the thing has been running really well, and has been asking no maintenance whatsoever... until now :s

So, today, I decided that it would be the big day, and that I would upgrade from Openelec to Libreelec... I decided to use the tutorial that requires you to drop a file into the Update folder of the chromebox. Except that the reboot did not except as I thought, and I ended up with an "Argument invalid" during the boot. I believe I messed up, and chose the wrong file :@ !
    So, here I am, with my Openelec that stopped working, and me still wanting to get the latest version of Libreelec.

I then decided to do a full install, and downloaded the latest (and correct) version of Libreelec on my USB. Plugged the USB in my chromebox, pressed a few random keys (no kidding), and got a different error (boot error, coupled with a DOS low ram error).
    So here I am, totally confused, but still not completely frustrated.

I then decided that, given the circumstances, I would do a full recovery of my chromebox, reinstall Chrome OS, and then redo a standalone of Libreelec using the EZ setup. Well, looks like, once again, I was wrong ! :-/
    Once I did the recovery of chrome OS (which did seem to happen), I tried to reenter the recovery mode, and now the system is telling me that Chrome OS is still missing and that I need to recover the OS.... Also, when I just let the chromebox boot, I'm not getting the "Argument invalid" command, but instead, I can see the bios loading Linux, and then... black screen. As if the OS (Kodi ?) was missing.

Any idea on how to save the situation ? I'm pretty much ready to do whatever it takes given the situation.

Thanks a bunch !
    H.

tldr: tried to ugrade OpenElec to LibreElec, used the wrong file, got "Invalid argument", tried to install brand new LibreElec - didn't work, tried to recover chrome os - didn't work either. Now I'm stuck.

• Update !

For anyone interested, I actually managed to fix the problem on my own. I randomly found the website of the person who created the EZ script to install Kodi/libreelec on Chromebox, and ended up finding the solution there.

Here is the procedure :
    - Use his Firmware Utility Script : MrChromebox.tech
    - Use option 8) Restore stock BOOT_STUB to restore the boot as it used to be (which will allow chrome os to boot, instead of openelec).
    - Restire ChromeOS

To run that script, you will need a live linux usb, which will give you access to a terminal. From that terminal, you can download and run the script easily.
    Once the stock BOOT_STUB has been restored, you just need to recover chromeOS, through the recovery button and the recovery USB.
    After that, all you need to do is redo a clean install using the EZ script.