HEVC 1080p not playing (s905x)

• As the filenames indicate, these videos use 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 coding for the YUV colorspace. (See YUV - Wikipedia for more info)

To my (limited) knowledge, 4:2:0 is the usual coding for consumer video, and hardware decoders are limited to this. The S905(X) thus needs to decode your sample videos in software, and for 1080p videos this is far too much for the 4-core ARM SoC.

• The hevc files that I found on the internet as well as those that I created myself are using 4:2:0 subsampling. The same is true for the DVB-S2 4k hevc streams I can receive from Astra, Hotbird, and Astra2.

My demo files are from: Demo UHD-3D - Ultra-HD / 4K / HDR / 3D
    I use handbrake and staxRip to convert my own videos. Both x265 software encoding and nvidia hardware encoding use 4:2:0 by default.
    [hr]
    I just checked, the hevc main and main10 profiles (which are the only ones the s905(x) does in hardware) only support 4:2:0 subsampling.
    To play your files, you either need a media player with a stronger cpu or you re-encode then using either the main or main10 profile.

Edited once, last by mmpp (January 7, 2017 at 1:21 AM).