RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• Hi! I love what I have seen about the build this thread involves. I will admit I have no experience with LE so please don’t blow me up!

I tried installing this into a scrap computer but I only seem to get a default Kodi install. I used this file to create my image (LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.2-devel-20170829.img) I have included my logs as indicated in post 1. I have no doubt the problem rests in something I have done incorrectly and I hope someone can point me in the correct direction.

Thanks in advance! I greatly appreciate all the hard work already put into this build. Hope to enjoy it soon!

• Because the upgrade process failed and you're not running my build. You missed the README in the download directory

Gotcha! Just to make sure I am on the same page based on what the readme tells me: I need to install the image from the archive first before I do anything else?

Not trying to be difficult, I simply lack experience with this.

• escalade

If that's what it says, that's what you should do. Can I reword the text to make it more clear somehow?

The misunderstanding arises from my lack of knowledge on these processes. When the readme referred to upgrading I did not think that applied in my case because I was installing to a blank drive. I made a mistake in assuming the recent build image would simply install everything I wanted the first time around. Ironically the second time around Readme instructions fit perfectly as I then had a default kodi loaded. I got the build to open up with all of the additional features. I have a small list of things I will want to correct but I will go through this lengthy thread as I am confident everything has already been addressed. I will repost if I get stuck on anything.

Thanks for all the time and hard work I can see you have already poured into this build!

• i just make a new test and it freeze with 47mb free memory, no responding at my remote, or ssh command, after a few minute it become available.

i modify the default allocated memory of gpu to 128Mb for having more memory for app and addons.

i use Kodi, Sonarr, Radarr, Jackett, Sabnzbd and Transmission. maybe it why it sometime seem to freeze.

I don't have the time to try emulation of navigation with a big library to see if it have a impact on system.

I read a lot of thing for RAM/GPU allocation on forum nobody seem to have the same opinion.

What do you think of this ?

• Rickk

Using the build from the archive should only be necessary when upgrading from regular LibreELEC. When doing a new install and writing my .gz to a stick you should not need it. The reason for this is that the compression algorithm the squashfs in my build uses (Zstd) is not in the default Linux kernel, so it can't be mounted if the running kernel does not support it. Thank you for the feedback, I should probably revise the README to make it more clear when the archive build is needed.

Killerdog

Like I said, for a crash you would need to do a "journalctl -f" from console when it happens, because the log is only in memory and does not get stored after a crash.

Most likely it's a memory allocation failure. There's a couple of things you can do:

1. LibreELEC copies the root filesystem to memory during boot, which for the RPI amounts to about 370MB. You can avoid this by editing /flash/cmdline.txt and adding "noram" to the end. It'll look something like this: "boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 quiet noram". This will free up the same amount of memory, at the cost of boot and SD card access speed. You may not want this if you have a slow SD card.

2. By default LibreELEC does not have any swap. You can enable swap by copying /etc/swap.conf to /storage/.config, then edit it and change SWAP_ENABLED="no" to SWAP_ENABLED="yes". When you reboot, a swapfile the size of SWAPFILESIZE (default is 1024 you can increase if you like) will be generated in /storage/.config/swapfile.

All those downloading apps you are using are quite memory hungry, so it's only n4tural for the RPi (which has only 1GB RAM) to have this issue with your use. Best of luck :)

• escalade

I'm agree with you. for allocation memory failure.

i see in the logs in the lasts info that it force close kodi because of memory issues

again, thanks for your kindness and your help to identify our issues.

• It has nothing to do in this thread if the same problem exist in regular LE builds, which you would have known if you had read the OP. There's already a bug reports section. You're very close to be on my permanent ignore list.

• It has nothing to do in this thread if the same problem exist in regular LE builds, which you would have known if you had read the OP. There's already a bug reports section. You're very close to be on my permanent ignore list.

It comes and goes in regular LE.

kodi don't like ts folders , a solution is converting it to a .iso file. (lots of work)

I really like your work , only trying to be helpful for other users and search for solutions together.