RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• escalade

I guess you already moved on to LE9? Is it possible for you to update your old release to avoid spectre backdoors and stuff while browsing the net?

Also some new dolphin builds would be really awesome. I know the LE8 platform is bascially EOL but since Leia release won't be that soon an updated LE8 release of your special build could be very handy.

Kodi Leia is in a fluid state at the moment so the Alpha release milestone has moved back to April. There are no Kodi Krypton changes on the horizon (developers all switched to Leia months ago) but if we accumulate further nip/tuck fixes for reported issues or something exciting comes along we will consider another 8.2 maintenance release to fill the void.

LibreELEC (Krypton) 8.2.3 MR – LibreELEC

Edited once, last by 5schatten (January 23, 2018 at 8:30 PM).

• I still haven't started the move to LE9, as I have limited time at the moment and due to changes in the build system it will require some work. I have lots of pending updates for my LE8 branch that I haven't commited yet, the avx build is updated if you have such a system. Otherwise I'll update the other builds this week.

• I just wanted to close an open from a much earlier thread back in July 2017 (Post 1573).

I also have a Chromebox with the Celeron 2955U which I also assumed included AVX2 since it's Haswell...

Intel® Celeron® Processor 2955U (2M Cache, 1.40 GHz) Product Specifications

If you look at "Instruction Set Extensions" you'll notice for the Celeron it only goes up through SSE4.2......

On the i3-4010U version of the Chromebox it does include AVX2 extensions.

I had been using the "archived" version release for awhile before deciding to update to an AVX build the other day. Thought it went fine until it went to go reboot after the update and hung at boot. Was perplexed but now understand it's due to the fact my core doesn't actually support those instructions :( I'm assuming no one else will run into this given how old those Chromeboxes are now, but just in case thought I'd share.

Does anyone know what the "intel-core-a" folder is for? If nothing else the cherry-trail build or base-generic version should work. Guess this goes back to the adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it"...

Thanks to escalade for the effort, upkeep, and help!

• Anyone like an update?

20180202:

I've chosen not to enable RETPOLINE and KPTI as it supposedly can slow down the computer and I'm not sure how paranoid one should be for a mediacenter.

• Anyone like an update?

20180202:

I've chosen not to enable RETPOLINE and KPTI as it supposedly can slow down the computer and I'm not sure how paranoid one should be for a mediacenter.

Well since you've integrated a webbrowser we should be really paranoid. I use chrome for amazon prime & netflix and it would be a shame if some nasty javascript would steal my login & password.

Most mediacenters won't suffer because the media encoding is done by dedicated chips or the igp. So until the microcode is patched please enable it or at least offer a second build for paranoid people ;)

THX :D

• Why would you need a dedicated machine? There's Docker, Parallels etc.

If you read Tony Lins comment:

"4.15 is 7-9% faster than 4.11"

"Turning kpti on makes 4.15 1-2% slower than 4.11

Logs are in /var/log.

• "So, overall, we are right back where we started from. Which makes me feel good, the recent Meltdown changes turn out to not really be much of a problem overall,"

Anyway I have to set up a dedicated VM to compile something with urgent security patches that won't hit performance in a bad way.

I go and get some logs then.

• Maybe actually try to read what it says? If 4.15 is 7-9% faster than 4.11, and KPTI makes 4.15 1-2% slower than 4.11, that's about a 10% performance hit.

You don't "have to" do anything, you could wipe your disk and throw your machine out the window if you like.

• The performance of a patched kernel 4.15 equals the performance of an unpatched kernel 4.11 that's what I read. And since most of the demanding processes are done by the igp oder dedicated decoders/encoders I don't see why i should sacrifice security for performance I haven't had before.

You don't care about security concerns. Got it. But I stick to this point of view:

Edited once, last by 5schatten (February 2, 2018 at 12:08 PM).

• Correct, and 4.11 is a step back in performance. The most demanding processes in this build are Dolphin and PCSX2, if all you do is watch movies why aren't you running vanilla LE?

Meanwhile, your LE system has a default root password of libreelec (although in my build you can change it ) and you're worried about spectre/meltdown when visiting netflix.

I care, but not enough to sacrifice performance on a Kodi / emulator box. Once they've reworked the patches and it's performing better I will probably include it. Nobody is stopping you from compiling yourself. Oh no, that would mean work for YOU and not for me!

• My root password is already changed and ssh disabled as long as I don't need it. Gaming performance is mostly not affected by spectre patches and if you don't run run dolphin and PCSX2 emulators on decent hardware you're screwed anyway. Or why do you think I've got a i3-6100 installed at my HTPC.

Meltdown and Spectre: does patching your PC impact game performance? ⢠Eurogamer.net

Already setting up a VM on my own. Thx. See dude I've donated in the past and would keep donating for usefull custom distributions but as I see it's not needed since you're too busy. Maybe you shouldn't look down at any user asking question or participate in this thread.