TVHE4.2 - client and maybe server - crashes at rpi4b

• Hi out there,

sometimes (between three an five days), the client dies, if there is any change in network. E.g. changing cable from network, restart nfs-server etc. At that time tvhe-4.2-server gets stuck to sat2ip-stream but there is no reaction or any recordings done.

I can still connect to ssh, so libreelec is still working.

How can I reload tvhe-server & -client - preferable by remote control just for my wife.... :cool:

regards and thanks...

• From Kodi menu:

Settings - Add-ons -My add-ons - Services - Tvheadend Server 4.2 - Disable / Enable

Settings - Add-ons -My add-ons - PVR clients - Tvheadend HTSP Client - Disable / Enable

• doesn't come to any reaction

english isn't your native language, right ?

anyway:

what "reaction" is expected or what doesn't work after ghtester recommendation, e.g. is "tvhe-4.2-server gets stuck to sat2ip-stream" afterwards still a problem and only fixable via reboot ?

with ghtester recommendation you' ll just see - IIRC - that the button flip from "disable" to "enable and vice versa.

but in the background the services get restarted without any popup or such.

How can I reload tvhe-server & -client - preferable by remote control just for my wife....

as long as the issue isn't cleared, what's about: train your wife to reboot the box via remote (if that helps here)

• So you say Kodi stops responding to remote control?

With RPi 4B you have several choices, one of them would be to connect a HW button to some GPIO pin and run a python script from autostart.sh which can do anything you need as soon as the button is pressed. There are several examples here, usually related with shutdown.

• - no crash log reader expert here -

and I'm not sure if it will fix your issue ...

but

1. I could read time jumps in your logs, e.g.

Code
    2022-08-17 21:49:30.423 T:28358    INFO <general>: Creating audio stream (codec id: 86016, channels: ...
    2022-08-17 22:06:47.154 T:28358    INFO <general>: CVideoPlayerAudio::Process - stream stalled

I wonder where they are coming from ... (=> read first sentences in this comment)

2. debug seems to be OFF

3. you're using an old TVH4.2 (and likely the old HTSP)

4. several log's in one file

5. a lot of ssl errors

for 3.

the last TVH is 4.3 (I've no idea if 4.3 is available for RPi's and if it will help at all)

update your addons too

go to the next step (or reboot)

for 4:

one log or crashlog (with maybe the time stamp when the issue occured) should be sufficing !

so run in an terminal:

rm -fv ~/storage/.kodi/temp/*.log to clean old cruft

go to the next step (or reboot)

for 2.:

switch debug ON OR see "P.S."

reboot ! ( you skipped the both before ?! ;) )

for 5.

no idea where they come from.

all I could think of: the addon HTSP; it has settings for https; maybe they cause the ssl error's ... (=> read first sentences in this comment)

P.S.

- attached is a file named advancedsettings.xml.txt

- remove the ".txt"- extension (only to trick the forum uploader here !) so that file is named "advancedsettings.xml"

- copy it to /storage/.kodi/userdata/ (if you do not already have a advancedsettings.xml" ! otherwise enhance yours with content of my one)

- reboot

what it does:

it will switch debug on and will prevent from writing debug info's in the top left monitor corner

!! NO need to (additional) switch debug on via System configuration !!!

to switch debug off: move the file out of /storage/.kodi/userdata/

• News of last days - it seems to be an issue of the primary nic. When using both eth0 and wlan0 the server always uses wlan0 to connect to sat2ip (DD ONET S2Max). I disabled wlan0 and the client didn't die since.

Two questions:

1.) How can I fix eth0 as primary interface?

2.) Is it possible to configure client into engery-saving-mode, e.g. when there is no one uses the remote control for 180 minutes, client should suspend sat-stream?

Edit: When I came back home, I've found tvhe-client in rescue-mode with five logs of the day in .kodi/temp/. The first was near to 9GB - so it's too big für anything.

Log two to five are attached. Maybe someone knows, why system crashed. The last lines show:

Code
    2022-09-05 09:15:36.702 T:18038   ERROR <general>: ffmpeg[0x2625c38X]: [deinterlace_v4l2m2m] VIDIOC_REQBUFS failed: Invalid argument

???

• Today the client shutdown again and I only looked at LibreElec-Logo. I had to reboot several times to get a working tvhe-client. Something seems to be strange ... and not quite satisfying.

To find out, whats going wrong, I copied advancedsettings.xml to /storage/.kodi/userdata and rebooted. This log is growing to gigs (last one 2.6 GB). I would say, that's quite to much for reading.

How may I set size of a rolling log let's say to 24h or e.g. 1 MB (size of forum)?

I would be glad to get a stable image for rpi4b-8gb - a modern epg and behaviour of vdr (compared to MLD) be fine.

I have to add nfs-shares and fix IP (eth0 first).

kodi_crashlog_20220909120849-sh.log.txt contains last 1000 lines of 2.6GB-log. There seems to be an addon (amazon) going wild. Is it possible to list and deinstall addins by ssh?

regards.