RFC: enhance /etc/os-release

• thinking about to enhance my get_nightly script for other platform then Generic*, RPi* I came across that it isn't easy to identify the running box via reading the /etc/os-release only.

wouldn't it be better to enhance /etc/os-release with one entry what matches the subdirectory (seems to be the machine model ?) on the download server ?

example for Allwinner/tanix-tx6/

LibreELEC-H6.arm-11.0-nightly-20220617-07254d4-tanix-tx6.img.gz (sha256)

new entry in /etc/os-release

let say in this case:

MachineModel="tanix-tx6"

or

LIBREELEC_MachineModel="tanix-tx6"

generell questions:

- does it make sense to extend my script at all (is there a need to do so/ user need ) ?

- are this boxes in general all accessable via ssh too (of course: if switched on) ?

- I guess yes, but I don't own such a box -

• Wouldn't it be better to enhance /etc/os-release with one entry what matches the subdirectory (seems to be the machine model ?) on the download server ?

You can get hints from "dtname" or "dtfile" although the device-tree compatible strings do not 100% correlate to $UBOOT_SYSTEM names for all devices we support. I wouldn't personally invest huge time in update scripts because the mid-term design goal is to facilitate switching between release and any nightly build available on the test server from within the GUI (via the settings add-on).