Rpi 4B "force_turbo=1" disables external storage

• Hi guys,

I have a Pi 4B lying around with original beefy power adapter from the foundation. I also have a cooler on the Pi. My issue is whenever i add "force_turbo=1" in config.txt my external hdd (WD 18TB, with power adapter) doesn't get recognized.

I tried increasing over voltage from 6 to 8, decreasing overclock from 2000 to 1800 still no difference.

I need force_turbo because otherwise overclock is useless, because when i check the clock speed while playing videos it hovers above 900Mhz.

• I need force_turbo because otherwise overclock is useless, because when i check the clock speed while playing videos it hovers above 900Mhz.

Assuming the videos are hw accelerated (e.g. hevc or h264) then the arm isn't used for video decoding, and there's no reason for the clock to be high. The hevc/h264 clocks will be high in this scenario.

You could always force full arm frequency without force_turbo with:

Code
    echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

But if the hard disk isn't detected with force_turbo, then I'd say it is power supply related.

Even if drive has an external power supply, that is often just 12V for the motor, and it will still take 5V through USB.

If you have a powered usb hub then try connecting through that.