[UNOFFICIAL][RK3228/RK3229][box]Libreelec builds

• same as before,but I can't say if there is some margin on mesa development that can make mali 400 works better, or we have reached the best possibile driver. but keep in mind that estuary skin is not the fastest one, confluence for example is much smoother.

i guess the limitation is really on linux compatibility with the box

I'm curious is there anyway to make the cpu run at full 1.5GHz all the time? I found that when you run the CPU at 1.5Ghz all the time on armbian it makes the system a bit more smoother than having it jump around frequencies.

I'm still using the last test build you sent me.

• i guess the limitation is really on linux compatibility with the box

I'm curious is there anyway to make the cpu run at full 1.5GHz all the time? I found that when you run the CPU at 1.5Ghz all the time on armbian it makes the system a bit more smoother than having it jump around frequencies.

I'm still using the last test build you sent me.

It is a collection of things in reality.

More complex software, opensource driver based on reverse engineering (longer development times, especially because the mali400 is rather old and therefore less interesting to evolve), etc etc

For example, I have a lakka build somewhere, and the ui is very smooth because it is less complex than the kodi one.

But supporting mainline development has enormous benefits.

Because you can reuse your box indefinitely (or almost) and for anything (mediacenter, nas, home automation, music)

However, to get the cpu up to speed, launch this command from a terminal

Code
    echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_governor

put in

Code
    /storage/.config/autostart.sh

if you want to be automatically launched at boot

• hi markosc,

try with this build

http://ilmich6502.it/libreelec-10/testing/

I tried a fix for graphics kernel driver. I have also restored the clocks/voltage of July.

please let me know.

with rk3229-box-v884k in SD it does not let me continue advancing although placing the version with overclock works but after using it it crashed

• Hi,

I'm expecting delivery of an MXQ Pro in the next week or so .. The ebay post said it was a 3228a version... I know that it is not up to scratch for video, but that's okay... I literally only want a libreelec image for this to be a headless audio player, mostly running the native player, but sometimes operating as a snapclient.

I would prefer to be on the current libreelec, so it can reach out to my common database for playlists etc and also for the snapclient for our monthly BBQ's (not confident the current development is supported on legacy)

I also don't need wifi as I have a cat6 port right next to my amp, and really am not bothered if I have to boot from SD card.

So my big question is - does this seem feasible or do I stick with the legacy version for this device?

cheers from Australia.. 8)

Allan

• markosc can you please try with a device tree with ddr3 disabled?!(like v88mars dtb)?!

rk3229-box-mxq4kpro - works fast without lags but then crashes

rk3229-box-v88mars-- does not raise freezes on startup

rk3229-box-v88mars-ovclk / rk3229-box-v884k-ovclk -- works but freezes when installing addons or navigating the menu
    I had version 9.2 modified by you for v88 4k and it works very well... thanks for your work

• hi markosc,

thanks for the invaluable support. So from what I understand

rk3229-box-v88mars works, slow but works

rk3229-box-mxq4kpro works but crash

rk3229-box-v88mars-ovclk / rk3229-box-v884k-ovclk works but crash.

I ask you for the latest test, to rule out application bugs.

Inside the extlinux.conf file add the parameter cma = 128M. Here is an example

Code
    APPEND boot=UUID=3003-4337 disk=UUID=7e1f7cb6-2d57-45d8-bc99-ac316c2f31f6 quiet console=uart8250,mmio32,0x11030000 console=tty0 cma=128M

If even so, you have problems, I try to generate a dts starting from libreelec legacy.

I changed some voltage values to reduce the heat generated (libreelec legacy is a furnace)

Welcome AllanK

my goal is to have a stable build. I have 3 boxes, one of which is used regularly as a media center without any problem.

Clearly supporting all existing variants is complex, and user support is key to solving problems that I can't test.

But libreelec mainline is the future.

So in the best case, your board will run smoothly and you will be satisfied. Otherwise, you have to be patient and help me figure out how to solve problems.

edit: Take a look here too, Tanix TX2 RK3229 MPD DAC Hi Res Audio Bitperfect. A user has turned his rk3229 box into an audio system.

Cheers

Michele

• Thank you!, I've managed to deploy that without issue. i just have a request if possible? Can you bring back the Passthrough option in Audio settings of LibreElec?

Edit: After switching the system's cpu governor to Performance i experienced a huge difference on the system's performance.
    one of which is the GPU i tested out the visualizer since that thing was heavy in terms of cpu resources and causes the playback to stutter when enabled, as of now i tested it with performance mode enabled and found out that not only can it run at High Resample Rate it can now also playback music without stuttering even with the visualizer on!

In terms of System UI tho it's still sluggish but not as slow as it was on stock cpu governor. the system has been more responsive to commands and im happy with how it performs after that simple command

Edited once, last by Harleythetech (October 30, 2022 at 4:32 PM).

• Hi MIKMXIII,

thanks for the logs.

I discovered 2 things. The first is that you are Italian like me (or you like to see Italian TV) ^^ .

The second is that you use third-party addons for questionable streaming. I've read around that python has some bugs currently, or some incompatibility with kodi. But in any case, I don't think I can do much and the box works as expected (aka you would probably have problems even using kodi on your PC with that addons).

cheers

Michele

• Hi Harleythetech,

thanks for your feedback. I currently use 'conservative' as a governor. This governor is less responsive but keeps the clock low during playback for the benefit of the system temperature.

I'm doing some tests with the default governor (ondemand), but surely keeping the cpu at maximum is not optimal.

However, the trick I explained to you I could put it as an indication "at your own risk" (like overclocking).

Can you bring back the Passthrough option in Audio settings of LibreElec?

I think I gave you an experimental build in its time. I have never been able to get passthrough for hdmi to work (although I have found some patches for allwinner that should also go on rockchip). If you confirm that it works, I could mark this feature as experimental.

• Hi all,

new build available with:

- linux 5.10.152

- mesa 22.2.2

- fix for ssv6051p broadcast ARP request (aka ssh connections not working).. thanks to an armbian user

- switch to ondemand governor

- various small fixes

- updated libreelec to the latest upstream changes

Cheers

Michele

• Hi Harleythetech,

thanks for your feedback. I currently use 'conservative' as a governor. This governor is less responsive but keeps the clock low during playback for the benefit of the system temperature.

I'm doing some tests with the default governor (ondemand), but surely keeping the cpu at maximum is not optimal.

However, the trick I explained to you I could put it as an indication "at your own risk" (like overclocking).

I think I gave you an experimental build in its time. I have never been able to get passthrough for hdmi to work (although I have found some patches for allwinner that should also go on rockchip). If you confirm that it works, I could mark this feature as experimental.

I'm Currently using your last Test Build that you sent me before(Jul,27,2022). I can confirm that it doesn't work nor does Audio pasthrough option in audio show up.

What i can confirm that is working is the AV output

• Hi all,

unfortunately yesterday my board r29 (rk3229 nand and ddr3) smoked and died. This slightly reduces my chances of future development on that type of card (rk3229 + ddr3).

so I kindly ask for help from those who have rk3229 boxes/boards that can donate to me.

Who is interested please contact me privately

Thanks

Michele

• Hello everyone,

I am having a series of issues with multiple versions of Kodi running straight from the SD Card of my RK3229 board. I’d like to say that I have been running Armbian 22.08.8 with 4.4.194 Kernel flawlessly and that’s why Kodi has to run from the SD Card. Here are the main issues:

Kodi 18.9:

Iso - LibreELEC-RK322x.arm-9.2-devel-20220112104139-32e9f1d-rk3229-d88.img

Despite the programs (addons) working fine when installed, streaming such as Netflix and Amazon started to experience the following problems:

. Lists of series and episodes stopped updating.

. The series still listed, for the most part, stopped working and would not start playing, regardless of internet connection, or resolution/quality.

. Disney does not use Brazilian Portuguese subtitles at all. In fact, most of the time, it simply does not support subtitles.

Kodi 19:

Iso - LibreELEC-RK322x.arm-10.0-nightly-20220921-a6dbacc-rk322x.img

IAGL:

After installing all emulators and configuring just like in Kodi 18, Playstation games do not work and show the error that BIOS files cannot be found. Then, obviously, I tried installing the BIOS files, either manually or using the BIOS Tool, but when trying to run a game I have new problems:

. It is informed that there is an internal error in the emulator (Regardless of the Playstation emulator used);

. The game opens but restarts kodi soon after (Kodi log is not generated);

. Game won't open and Kodi freezes (Kodi log is not generated);

. Kodi just restarts (Kodi log is not generated);

. Sometimes the message that BIOS files were not found is displayed, before freezing/restarting the system (Kodi log is not generated);

. After any of these errors Kodi freezes at random times (Kodi log is not generated);

In order to address these issues, I have:

. Reinstalled Kodi, installing Retroarch, configuring, then configuring IAGL. (Didn't solve any of the problems for emulating PlayStation games);

. Tried to add the Bios files manually and through the Bios Tool (It only solved the problem of not finding the Bios files temporarily, but it didn't solve the other problems for PlayStation);

. Installed just the IAGL, install the PlayStation emulators, add the Bios files (it just solved the problem of not finding the Bios files temporarily, but it didn't solve the other problems for PlayStation);

. Installed the emulators from other sources (It didn't solve any of the problems to emulate PlayStation games);

Streaming Apps:

The Netflix and Amazon apps keep their lists updated, which did not happen on Kodi 18, but some problems began to appear such as:

. Applications run videos very slowly, even at resolutions like 720p, which was not the case with Kodi 18;

. There are small or large crashes in the videos, after that, the video, the subtitles and the audio, lose sync;

Regardless of the sources of the installed repository files, the problems remain the same. So, here I would like to ask your help with the problems above (should it be obvious what I’ve done wrong, if any), but also to inquire if anyone has an image RK3229 with IAGL, Netflix, and Amazon working perfectly, because I could try installing that image. Also, since the 18.9 has fewer problems, if anyone can fix them, it’d be most welcome!!! :)

Please find attached photos of my board!

Thank you very much for your time and patience, you can DM me if you’d rather.

• Hi chaigon,

kodi 18.9 and libreelec 9.2 are out of support by me and netflix kodi addon maintainer. So basically the addon version for kodi 18.x simply does not work anymore.

I'm a sporadic retrogamer (and I love 8-bit platforms), so never tried a playstation emulator. Which emulator are you using(pcsx, duckstation.. etc etc)?!?!?! I can try to update binary addon and if works send patch upstream.

Streaming Apps:

The Netflix and Amazon apps keep their lists updated, which did not happen on Kodi 18, but some problems began to appear such as:

. Applications run videos very slowly, even at resolutions like 720p, which was not the case with Kodi 18;

. There are small or large crashes in the videos, after that, the video, the subtitles and the audio, lose sync;

With my builds, netflix works decent if you set video resolution == streaming resolution. The box can reproduce a <=720p netflix stream only with 720p display resolution.

Other combinations may not works (specially on ddr2 box). This is because kodi supports hardware video decoding (for drm protected streaming)only on Android. So with libreelec is all software decoded, and the cpu/gpu has no power to decode and render at the same time. Keep in mind also that in my builds I'm using the open-source GPU driver. Which is a bit slower, but better because it's open.

Please find attached photos of my board!

never seen before 8) . Is a board with ddr2 or ddr3!??!(I've recognized the wifi ssv6051p chip and maybe the NAND)

Cheers

Michele

• Hi, Michele

first of all, thanks for all the amazing work you've been doing to keep our old rk322x boxes alive!

I have successfully installed your latest build into emmc, and it runs without hassle in my MXQPro4K box. However, it cannot detect neither my internal (ssv6x5x) wifi chip or external (rtl8188ftv), so I can't connect to wifi :(

When I ran armbian with mainline kernel (the same version your LE build is using), I could use my external adapter normally to connect to wifi. What am I missing? Is there anything I could do to activate my external wifi dongle and make it permanently usable? Perhaps try to compile myself the proper module? Or could you try to include this (I've read elsewhere that rtl8188ftv works with rtl8188fu module) in a future build?

Keep in mind I am not demanding anything and feel grateful for your work. But it can't hurt to check whether we could work something around this for now ;)

Cheers!