HDR on x86 Hardware

• Hi all!

Now I'm running Kodi on windows 10 on a NUC8I3BEH. But I'm found out this thread that cheaper mini pc can have HDR too with LE. But what CPUs? Only Gemini Lake and newer or older like Celeron too? Thx!

Works on NUC6CAY. Had a couple of those for about 5 years - been worth the wait (eventually!).

That's H265 UHD rips - Atmos and HDR working great via an LG 65C9 OLED.

• I’m having trouble getting 4K HDR playback working on my NUC11. I just did a fresh install of beta1. It seems that 4k23.98hz files won’t output video. if I un-whitelist 23.98, then it plays back at 4k60, but stutters (also I don’t have HD audio working yet). I have played all these files back via coreelec on my odroid n2 at 4k24 previously.

here is a log where it fails to play at 23.98hz

hastebin

any thoughts?

thanks

edit: also when playing back at 4k60 it is not outputting the correct color space. its sending out rec709 and not bt2020

edit2: I don’t know what it is doing. my projector says the color space is RGB 8bit, when usually it says YUV 12bit. the colorimetry is labelled sRGB instead of bt2020. however it does say it is HDR. definitely not quite right though.

Edited 2 times, last by Noumenon (February 5, 2023 at 8:51 PM).

• What version of LibreELEC are you using? The nightly generic? Make sure you don’t use the generic legacy.

Also do you have match frame rate turned on? I have a nuc11 and it works fine. There is no 4k60HDR support at the moment.

• What version of LibreELEC are you using? The nightly generic? Make sure you don’t use the generic legacy.

Also do you have match frame rate turned on? I have a nuc11 and it works fine. There is no 4k60HDR support at the moment.

beta1, non-legacy. Yes, I have it set to adjust the refresh rate on start/stop.

On Intel hardware 4K 50/60Hz HDMI video modes will always be RGB 8-bit because Intel driver does not support YCbCr 4:2:2. Some type of dithering would be required.

Wrong colorimetry issue was discussed a few posts back. BT.2020 works with this unmerged PR. It will not be included in Kodi 20/LE 11.

gotcha. 24hz 4:2:2 is supported though?

I came across that thread about the bt.2020 issue. thats a bummer - the expanded color space is like half the point of HDR.

• well, sounds like I need to get 24hz, or rather 23.98hz working. anyone have any ideas on that? I’m not sure what is going on with my video pipeline. I tried copying the edid, but that didn’t help. I’m not totally sure what the Prime DRM decoding does, but it doesn’t seem to affect my problem on or off.

I did manage to get HD audio working (with playback at 60hz).

• well, sounds like I need to get 24hz, or rather 23.98hz working. anyone have any ideas on that? I’m not sure what is going on with my video pipeline. I tried copying the edid, but that didn’t help. I’m not totally sure what the Prime DRM decoding does, but it doesn’t seem to affect my problem on or off.

Looking at your log, it looks like you have your Kodi gui set to 3840x2160.

This should be 1080p as you don’t want Kodi scaling anything. When you select a 4K video it will switch to 4K and the right colourspace.

So change your resolution in the menu to 1920x1080 50/60

Then make sure match video frame rate on start and stop is on. It then should switch to 4K 24 BT2020 for playing movies. See how that goes.

• It seems that 4k23.98hz files won’t output video.

My best guess is that your projector does not like the 4K RGB 12-bit mode.

Try to reduce it to 10-bit. You can do that with libdrm proptest tool.

Copy proptest to /storage, then

chmod 755 proptest

./proptest

and post the output here

Have you read this article and following the recommendations? This forum post over at OSMC is also worth a read.

If you're having issues with 24hz/23.98hz you might need to investigate the "Allow 3:2 pulldown refresh rates" setting.

• here is my output from proptest (felt a bit sketchy running a script from dropbox, btw. I hope I can trust you guys 😅):

hastebin

I have a JVC NX5, reading through the manual it says it can only do RGB at 8-bit when running at 50/60 hz, but otherwise does not make any specification.

So change your resolution in the menu to 1920x1080 50/60

Then make sure match video frame rate on start and stop is on. It then should switch to 4K 24 BT2020 for playing movies. See how that goes.

I tried this - no luck. It is blanking the screen and adjusting the frame rate on stop/start. it just won’t do 24hz for some reason.

Have you read this article and following the recommendations? This forum post over at OSMC is also worth a read.

If you're having issues with 24hz/23.98hz you might need to investigate the "Allow 3:2 pulldown refresh rates" setting.

yeah, I’ve reviewed all the docs, but no luck. I definitely don’t want 3:2 pulldown. I want native 24hz.

thanks for all the help everyone

• From JVC NX5 manual:

When the color space is RGB/YCbCr(4:4:4), only 8-bit input is supported.

^ There's your answer. You will have to use 8-bit for 4k/24Hz.

systemctl stop kodi

./proptest -M i915 -D /dev/dri/card0 308 connector 314 8

systemctl start kodi

try if 4K/24 now works

Upd: the manual actually refers to 4K 50/60Hz modes, so deep color should be supported with 4K/24. Try also 10-bit (./proptest -M i915 -D /dev/dri/card0 308 connector 314 10)

Edited once, last by smp (February 7, 2023 at 3:23 AM).

• I have the JVC X5900 which is the model before the NX5. I don’t have any issues with HDR on my NUC 11 or 12 gen.

• well, you’re onto something. as it turns out 8-bit works, but 10-bit doesn’t at 4k24. which is super frustrating. is there a timeline for YCbCr support?