LibreELEC-RR [ Brave | Spotify | Moonlight | Emulationstation | Retroarch | Pegasus ]

• For those who would like to run RetroArch and Mupen64Plus-Next (including parallel/Vulkan support) on plain LibreElec, have a look at https://github.com/jefflessard/game.retroarch

Direct download links for x86-64 Generic:

RetroArch v1.15.0 Addon

Mupen64Plus-Next Addon

Hi, that sounds great !!!

I did not try this yet, but its a good way to get retroarch working on a plain LibreElec.

All i have to wish for me, is to get also an Emulationstation as a frontend ;)

Would it be possible to get that in your Repo? Or is there an easy way to make it for me as a usual user with no programming skills?

best regards

tribune

• I guess that should be doable for someone to compile EmulationStation to be compatible with plain LibreElec. Thought, I've never used EmulationStation personally.

I had a quick look at https://github.com/RetroPie/EmulationStation, which seems to be the most active branch of EmulationStation. The original branch seems to be pretty much stale. Good news is that it supports OpenGL ES. So that's a good start.

Then, it would require to support direct video rendering using DRM/KMS/GBM without any dependencies on windowing systems like X11 or Wayland. I quickly browsed the source code to get an idea and I understand that EmulationStation uses the SDL library, which looks like an abstraction layer over traditional rendering libraries. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about this library. It may already support direct rendering, but I can't say.

You would also have to check for ALSA audio support and udev input support (for joysticks). I guess SDL can also do it's magic here as an abstraction layer.

Once compiled, then you still need an external emulator (EmulationStation is only a frontend right?). There you could use RetroArch from my Repo. Some minor modifications would probably be required to my launch script to provide a good user experience (e.g. returning to EmulationStation instead of Kodi when closing RetroArch).

Unfortunately, I have no sufficient knowledge/time/interest about EmulationStation to try compiling it. It may be pretty easy to do it, or it may not! However, I can certainly bring some modifications to my RetroArch launch scripts if anyone can build EmulationStation.

• Hey @jefflessard ,

Thank you for that detailed answer!!! That sounds promising. Unfortunatley i have no idea, how to make an application like Emulationstation to work in a vanilla Libreelec. I could compile an app, but that's it...

Unhappily, i'm always dependent on people who can do that magic work.

The last time i used the Libreelec in this thread to play games through Emulationstation (with Retroarch).

Ok, there are some other solutions to make games running within Libreelec.

But in all cases your RetroArch is basicly the basis.

best regards

tribune

• Greetings,

i can't get PPSSPP to work on the RPi4. I'm using the latest nightly build [LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-11.0-RR-20230215-6a5ed68] but it just quits back to emulationsstation, when trying to launch a rom. Tried .iso and .pbp formats with no luck. Also tried to use the lr-ppsspp core but it wont load up through retroarch. I can get into PPSSPP itself, when using the guide-button and do some settings, but games won't run at all. No problems with other emulators. Any advice? Logfile attached.

Also, how can I get rid off the loading message when launching emulationstation within kodi and is it possible to disable the emulationstation splash screen when its booting up or do I have to build myself?

Thanks in advance

• SupervisedThinking

Is there any chance to get an update of Libreelec-RR to LE 11 for Generic PC?

Or is LE-RR (Generic) really abandoned? This would be a pity as for me it's the most suitable and easiest way to combine Kodi with retrogaming...

Best regards

• Maybe someone can help: I want to access roms and saves from network. I already created a .mount service, which seems to work (I can cd into it via ssh and access it in the Kodi data manager).

I also was able to select the network drive in Retroarch as default location for saves and savestates. But if Retroarch tries to write a save for a game it stays at size 0, additionally savestate writing does not finish. I get a symbol that Retroarch is busy creating a savestate, but it remains at 0 percent.

• Hi everybody! Please help me!
    I'm trying to compile a build for Amlogic because the download links for v11 are empty.
    During compilation, a number of problems arose with downloading dependencies, which I was able to solve, but there is one problem that I cannot cope with. Below is the error log. Please guide me because I am a noob in Linux and even more so in software development, but necessity forces me to take the hard way...
    Sorry for Google translate, English is not my native language.

Display Spoiler

[1;33mBUILD[0m chailove [1;37m(target)[0m
    [1;35mTOOLCHAIN[0m make
    Executing (target): make GIT_VERSION=9677b14
    make[1]: Entering directory '/home/tribal/LibreELEC-RR/build.LibreELEC-AMLGX.arm-11.0-devel/build/chailove-9677b142ab9562cb278e87d7475c55fe0b9a4333'
    CXX src/ChaiLove.cpp
    CXX src/libretro.cpp
    CXX src/love/audio.cpp
    <command-line>: fatal error: retro_endianness.h: No such file or directory
    compilation terminated.
    compilation terminated.
    compilation terminated.
    make[1]: *** [Makefile:31: src/ChaiLove.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    make[1]: *** [Makefile:31: src/libretro.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [Makefile:31: src/love/audio.o] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/tribal/LibreELEC-RR/build.LibreELEC-AMLGX.arm-11.0-devel/build/chailove-9677b142ab9562cb278e87d7475c55fe0b9a4333'
    [1;31mFAILURE: scripts/build chailove:target during make_target (default)[0m
    *********** FAILED COMMAND ***********
    make ${PKG_MAKE_OPTS_TARGET}
    *********** FAILED COMMAND ***********
    ${SCRIPTS}/build "${1}" "${PARENT_PKG}"
    [1;31mFAILURE: scripts/install chailove:target has failed![0m