Which download?

• Hi all, just been reading how good this software is for audio playback! I have an MZQ box that I don't use and thought i'd give this software a try, the PCB is S905XQ4_V3.0.

I looked at the download page but I had no idea which one to download..... I'd be thinking using an SD card or USB would be easiest?

My plan was to use this as the front end only and use my existing DAC so would I need to use the HDMI output to feed my DAC?

Hope you don't mind the questions as I've just come across this and am pretty excited to give it a try!!

Cheers Dave

• Thanks Da Flex

Found the CoreLEec image so I'll try and install that one.

What about the audio play, is the best player a LibreElec player or is it just a function of this stripped down OS that make it sound good?

The box i have is an MXQ Pro 4K

Thanks

• Official Post

Good choice, but kind of an end of this discussion, too, because we don't support CoreELEC.

There is no easy answer about audio, because I still don't know the connectivity of your DAC. If it supports SPDIF, then it should work fine with your box. Digital audio over USB is tricky: lower quality formats work, but we have user reports that AC3 and HD audio doesn't work over USB.

You said audio is your top priority. If you can't connect to SPDIF, then I suggest an HDMI audio extractor to connect your DAC. This should support all audio formats, including the above.

• Cheers Da Flex,

CoreElec doesn't work anyway!

Yes the DAC will take SPDIF. I tried several different img files and couldn't get any to load. Used the LibreElec program to load the SD card.

This is the process I tried so please let me know if its wrong...

Unplugged box

Inserted SD card

Held down reset button

Powered up, wouldn't go past the first flash screen if there was a SD or USB plugged in

Removed SD card

Went through startup again and got to the Android maintenance screen

Put SD card back in

Selected reboot, just stopped at first flash screen

Tried to boot from SD card but couldn't find a suitable file on the card.

As mentioned I'm new to this game so probably misunderstood the instructions I've been reading so welcome any corrections or advise you may have.

Cheers Dave

• It works! Followed your links to the MXQ project and tried their recommended build. Almost gave up as I couldn't seam to get it to do the update, tried installing from the SD card but still didn't show a suitable file so in disgust i keep pushing the power button on the remote then all of a sudden it started updating!!!

Anyway LibreELEC is running so i just have to work out how to add the tv tuner (PVR?) and what ever else I need.

Thanks again for your help, really appreciate it.

Dave

• One small problem, only boots from SD card. The update doesn't seam to have been embedded.....

Idea's?

It recognised my USB DAC as well! Didn't have the correct spdif plug so tried USB. It works and sound good,

Cheers

Edited 2 times, last by nzlowie (April 7, 2020 at 5:33 AM).

• Official Post

One small problem, only boots from SD card. The update doesn't seam to have been embedded.....

Idea's?

I think that's the proper way to load it. Don't forget, this box wasn't made to install custom firmware, and the boot loader might still be locked. Maybe linking to SD card was the only possible way. Congrats, you made it! :)