ExpressVPN setup??

• Ok, so I'm new to all this but I managed to get LibreELEC running on a Pi4. I'd like to install a VPN. I went with ExpressVPN. My issue is the only instructions they will point me to involve installing their app on the pi. I cant get to the Pi to install it because LibreELEC and Kodi start on boot up.

I tired going to the OpenVPN route and VPN Manager. Got them installed in Kodi but I cant get the ExpressVPN to connect because its looking for key/certificates and I can't figure out where to get them.

Any ideas? No one can seem to figure this out in various other groups. Thanks!!

• From what I remember (long time ago) when I first setup ExpressVPN on my Pi3 via the wizard option of VPN Manager for OpenVPN.

You need specific ExpressVPN username and password. (Note: This is NOT same as used to access your account on (ExpressVPN website)

Specific information can be found by logging into your account on ExpressVPN website and then going to the manual configuration page Sign in to your account | ExpressVPN

Hopefully you will then see as above (I have obscured) details and on right side of page is information you enter into wizard of VPN Manager for OpenVPN. Using this method the wizard then contacts the ExpressVPN server with correct info to download necessary files onto your device.

Hope this short explanation helps you.

rPi3B+, SanDisk Ultra 8Gb SD, Milhouse kernel_5.x LE Testbuild (Kodi 19 Matrix) -> Onkyo TX-SR608 AV Receiver -> Philips 42" LCD TV

KVIM2 Pro, SanDisk Ultra 8Gb SD, kernel_5.x LE Testbuild (Kodi 19 Matrix) -> LG 27UD69-W 4K Monitor -> AudioEngine A2+ Speakers

Edited once, last by MikeKL ().

• Thank you. Yes. This was one of the methods I tried. However, it still wants the key/certificate. In the next step.

• Not sure can't remember now, but I believe that if you clear/delete any existing stored settings within VPN Manager then reboot rpi4 and then start again via VPN Manager wizard it could/should help. (I recollect being similarly frustrated at start ;))

rPi3B+, SanDisk Ultra 8Gb SD, Milhouse kernel_5.x LE Testbuild (Kodi 19 Matrix) -> Onkyo TX-SR608 AV Receiver -> Philips 42" LCD TV

KVIM2 Pro, SanDisk Ultra 8Gb SD, kernel_5.x LE Testbuild (Kodi 19 Matrix) -> LG 27UD69-W 4K Monitor -> AudioEngine A2+ Speakers

• Hmm reflecting further... as mentioned here in User or Client Keys and Certificates section, I believe I did need to download a combined key and cert zip file from website, transfer it to for example the downloads folder on rpi4 and then select folder when requested by the VPN Manager wizard.

• I did that as well. But then it errored on me. I had several file options in the zip so I wasn't sure which one it wanted.

• I figured it out! Thanks for your help. I used that manual config setup you posted before but didn't notice that the password had the number one and lower case Ls that look almost identical until I zoomed in and saw the one's had a slanted top serif!! Ugh!!

• Yep now you mention it 1 vs I sounds familar too. Great news that you have resolved your issue. :cool:

Understand you can modify thread status to resolved..so information may help others who experience similar issue.

• Post by JennyBright ().

This post was deleted by CvH ().