How is the experience with the AMD Ryzen 3 2200G?

• Hello there :D

I want to build a new HTPC Pc, just for Kodi/Plex. The Ryzen 3 2200G with VEGA 8 seems to fit pretty well, but how is the experience with LibreElec (9)?

Hardware decoding? Audio passthrough? Does it work?

Regards ;)

Edited once, last by Mitzsch01 (September 29, 2018 at 7:12 PM).

• Ok, thx.

I will try that. :)

I have another question

So the kernel (amdgpu?) handles things like audio passthrough?

and Mesa (including the amdgpu pro driver) for Hardware decoding?

Is this right?

• Exactly what I was looking for. Several months ago I asked about similar thing: HTPC with HDR support on LE. I asked about going down the way of discrete VGA, but chewitt rightfully discouraged me from doing so.

Fast forward 6 months and I started digging again about 2160p HDR + Dolby Atmos setup. I already picked most of the components: Denon AVR X1400H + Asus TUF B450M-GAMING PLUS + AMD Ryzen 3 2200G, since Asus it's the only MB manufacturer (AFAIK) which officially supports HDMI 2.0b.Then I stumbled on this SFF forums thread. After that I checked LE forums and found this...

Linux 4.18 kernel seems buggy regarding Vega support, but 4.19 is much better (according to tests on here).

Currently, the way I watch HDR content is by putting it in LE Library (DLNA/UPNP streaming turned on), then accessing DLNA library from my TV. HDR works just fine, but the problem is stupid audio support on my TV (no Atmos or DTS HD) and stupid things like forwarding, slow response...

I guess I still need to wait for proper support from Linux in order to fully immerse myself in LE-PC world again. :(

• Did you already bought the stuff?

The DLNA thing seems to be a very complex workaround. :(

I really hope Kernel 4.19 or 5? will make things better.

I have an AMD WX 3100 card (RX 550 equivalent) that I got pretty cheap and its low profile. Under Linux the performance is okay for what i am doing with it.(hardware decoding works great) But audio support is a nightmare! PCM only stereo.... DTS/DD working but with glitches and noise.... DTS-HD/TrueHD nope not working at all.. :(

LibreElec 9 only plays crackling noise... ( where there should be one click - you hear an infinite echo)

Yeah I know the wx 3100 is not a "htpc - grade" card but maybe it will work in the future...

Time will tell

• Hello Mitzsch,

Fortunately, I put on hold every purchase (It's almost 1500€ for new MB, CPU, RAM, AVR) till LE come to final 9 release. It's pretty risky investing at this point.

LE 8.90.006 bumped Linux kernel at 4.18.11 for x86_64. Site I mentioned above note that 4.19 is better for Vega. I will wait for final release and user experience reviews before I decide to upgrade.

Regarding DLNA, it's really easy to turn it on in Kodi. Your TV should be able to see it momentarily. Kodi will sent just frames and your TV will decode it.

Your problem with noise on DTS... Some AVRs can not accept DTS-HD-HRA on first HDMI. Just to be sure, use some other HDMI port on AVR. Somewhere recently I read that on some AVRs 1st HDMI can not recognize correctly 8c@192kHz, but other inputs can. Instead you need to send 8c@192kHz transfered in 2c@192kHz. Not sure. Worth investigating. Also try setting PCM Fixed to On in your AVR settings if your AVR supports it.Your card has DP 1.4 port so it definitely supports DTS-HD. Maybe use high-bandwidth HDMI cable?

• Yeah, 1500€ is very much.

DLNA ok, thought that using it like that comes with a lot of problems.

It's not only with DTS. It's with every sound source. Independent of format DTS/PCM/DD. Lossless formats like DTS-HD MASTER AUDIO or TrueHD are not working at all. -> PCM Fixed, I tried that but no luck

The DTS-HD HRA bug was already fixed. ;) tested it with a Nvidia GT610 on my AVR. -> working great (all formats including MA/HRA)

The WX3100 supports lossless formats, I've tested it with windows 10 -> working. So the cable shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks anyways! :)

• One month later, I purchased a Ryzen 3 2200g. And I can say that this thing is amazing! Everything is working great! Hardware Decoding and audio passthrough working! I can clearly recommend the Ryzen 3 2200g as an HTPC Chip! :)

(AMD Ryzen 3 2200g, Gigabyte B450 Aorus M and 8gb DDR4 3000)

• (AMD Ryzen 3 2200g, Gigabyte B450 Aorus M and 8gb DDR4 3000)

I'm just curious. As per its details, the 3 2200g only supports 2933Hz memory. I'm searching for components for a htpc for friends.

Is your motherboard also running on 2933Hz memory, or does it the 'full' 3000Hz? I know this difference is negligible, but I'd like to know. :)

• I too run a 2400G with DDR4-3200 and it works great. I am triple booting Windows 10, Libreelec and Kubuntu 18.10 all on their own hard drives and everything runs great on all 3 platforms.

• I am using a very similar mobo, Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI m-atx with the athlon 200GE.

How did you managed to get 4K 60Hz? I am using the latest beta 2 of LibreElec 9 (4th of January) and the best I can get is 4K 30hz.

The HDMI cable is new and sold as HDMI 2.0 compatible, gigabyte does specify the mobo is HDMI 2.0 and can handle 2160 60Hz but no luck with LibreElec...