HEVC/x265 support in Libreelec on RPi3 is amazing ... where can I d/l ffmpeg patches

• LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-9.0-Milhouse-20180923210325-#0923-g442e2de on an RPi3 can play a 2.8kb/s HEVC video file flawlessly. When I compare it to my own build of Kodi 18.0b2 on the same hardware, the video playback is unwatchable/choppy. Is it solely the ffmpeg version used in LibreELEC, and if so, is this an ffmpeg fork I can download when I build Kodi on Arch ARM?

FYI - I build like this so I would think inserting the ffmpeg version would be trivial:

Code
    cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr \
    -DCMAKE_INSTALL_LIBDIR=/usr/lib \
    -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/opt/vc \
    -DCORE_PLATFORM_NAME=rbpi \
    -DFFMPEG_URL="/ffmpeg-4.0.2-Leia-Alpha3.tar.gz" \
    -DENABLE_INTERNAL_FFMPEG=ON \

EDIT: is it as simple as pulling the single patch linked in this thread and building? Further, are all 4 patches shown here recommended or will the third one be sufficient?

Edited 3 times, last by darksky (September 25, 2018 at 8:59 AM).

• Would it not be easier to just use the latest 8.90.005 RPi build which includes most usable patches.

My goal is to build kodi on a different distro using the innovations the LibreElec team have created, for example, the HEVC support on RPi3.

• My goal is to build kodi on a different distro using the innovations the LibreElec team have created, for example, the HEVC support on RPi3.

These innovations / optimizations aren't from us, they come from popcornmix and other people from RPi.

If you want to build kodi and ffmpeg with all the optimizations it's probably easiest to just use his newclock5 branch (that's the current development tree). In LibreELEC we're doing the same, only difference is that we split out the ffmpeg patches to a separate package (but the changes are the same as in the newclock5 branch).

I'd recommend sticking to the tags in the repo (unless you want to track bleeding edge stuff, like in milhouse builds), in LE 8.90.005, which is based on Kodi Leia beta2, we built from this tag: newclock5_18.0b2-leia

so long,

Hias

• These innovations / optimizations aren't from us, they come from popcornmix and other people from RPi.

If you want to build kodi and ffmpeg with all the optimizations it's probably easiest to just use his newclock5 branch (that's the current development tree). In LibreELEC we're doing the same, only difference is that we split out the ffmpeg patches to a separate package (but the changes are the same as in the newclock5 branch).

I'd recommend sticking to the tags in the repo (unless you want to track bleeding edge stuff, like in milhouse builds), in LE 8.90.005, which is based on Kodi Leia beta2, we built from this tag: newclock5_18.0b2-leia

This is great info to have. I will give that a try, thank you.