LibreELEC-RR 9.x [ Emulationstation | Retroarch | Pegasus | DolphinQT | Moonlight | Chrome | Spotify ]

• Would it help if I posted my logs? I had a quick look through them all but can't see the event that locks the system up.

On a side note.. once the system locks up I can still access the samba share but the screen is completely unresponsive.

Again.. it only happens when the system is doing nothing.

When playing media or a game is running.. even if noone is doing inputs.. it doesn't lockup.

But if it's left on any screen idle doing nothing.. it will lock up within 1 minute.

If others distros lock up I hardly doubt there is a fix for this. Basically it's a 11 year old legacy card that won't see much support anymore.

LibreELEC 10.0 will remove support for Xorg/X11 windowing on x86_64 hardware and move the entire distro to a common DRM/GBM video framework. This change will also impact nVidia users as Kodi v19 removes support for VDPAU (it doesn’t support many new graphics features and is no longer developed) and there are currently no signs of nVidia supporting GBM like all other GPU/SoC vendors. Between now and LibreELEC 10.0 the team will be working to achieve GBM/DRMPRIME feature parity so nobody notices the switch

X11: remove vdpau and glx by lrusak · Pull Request #16057 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub

Drop X11 by lrusak · Pull Request #3152 · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

So pesonally I would suggest Nvidia users to get rid of their cards sooner than later... I have to figure out how to deal with this removals & how to integrate a substitute like Wayland/Weston but from all I heard X11 is pretty much a dead end and since Nvidia does not support other displayservers you won't be able to use their drivers anymore. Of course there is nouveau but this won't support all features as the proprietary driver does.

• If others distros lock up I hardly doubt there is a fix for this. Basically it's a 11 year old legacy card that won't see much support anymore.

X11: remove vdpau and glx by lrusak · Pull Request #16057 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub

Drop X11 by lrusak · Pull Request #3152 · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

So pesonally I would suggest Nvidia users to get rid of their cards sooner than later... I have to figure out how to deal with this removals & how to integrate a substitute like Wayland/Weston but from all I heard X11 is pretty much a dead end and since Nvidia does not support other displayservers you won't be able to use their drivers anymore. Of course there is nouveau but this won't support all features as the proprietary driver does.

I see.

Im sure I could replace the card since it's mxm but they're expensive.

Maybe a nouveau solution will arrive eventually.

Thank you for the help and info

• Well I can't give an exact answer about this. I have all my roms on my NAS & use Generic / RPi & KVIM builds with different emulators to run the same games. So I can play Link to the past on all systems with different emulators but all systems run the same RA version and are Linux builds. Have you tried to update your RA version? I mean 1.7.3 is about one year old and almost 4800 commits were merged since then.

well one problem solved, turns out its was [mupen] vs [paraLLEI] which save differently. Now i have a different problem(s) the volume control outside of kodi, for example chrome or dolphin, the volume is fixed at 100% and the volume keys (up/down/mute) dont work outside kodi. i have tried to search this problem before and google kept finding the wrong thing....

Edited once, last by Animejin (May 4, 2019 at 6:35 PM).

• It could be the shading effect of kodi interface (maybe not correctly managed by the video driver). Try to disable it in the screensaver configuration and check if it freezes. You can even try to access the config menu while playing movie to check if it's the shading effect.

• Chrome just updated and tearing is still present (particularly the top third of both windowed and full screen video playback). Could anybody else who is on an Intel integrated GPU check this video in Chrome and see if they experience screen tearing?:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Tested it and tearing it's present. Integrated Intel graphics for a Fujitsu ESPRIMO Q900 core i5.

• It could be the shading effect of kodi interface (maybe not correctly managed by the video driver). Try to disable it in the screensaver configuration and check if it freezes. You can even try to access the config menu while playing movie to check if it's the shading effect.

Sadly I've tried disabling the screen saver completely.. still locks up. Also seems to happen within 20 seconds sometimes so it'll be way before the screen saver triggers.

Again.. if its doing something like playing a movie or a game.. I can leave it for hours with no freeze. But if it's idle and not doing anything.. it freezes.

Might be a power save related issue with the Nvidia drivers since it doesn't happen on batocera with nouveau. But they have an older Kodi so no Netflix add-on and no chrome... Can't win haha.

• Not really. Might be something that could be added but it was never necessary until now because normally I don't expect Google to release bugged Chrome versions :/

Yeah it’s pretty f***d up now.

It’s totally unusable now.

Hope there soon will be a solution for this.

Thanks!

• Build RR-20190511-8da09c7 | Generic & RPi testbuilds Index of /testing/

• updated to latest LE 9.x
    • updated GCC to 9.1.0
    • updated Generic & RPi kernel to 5.0.13
    • updated Nvidia to 418.74
    • updated Mesa to 19.1.0-rc1
    • updated Vulkan to v1.1.107
    • updated Retroarch to v1.7.7
    • updated FS-UAE to 2.9.8dev2+
    • updated moonlight-embedded to v2.4.9
    • updated PCSX2 Docker image to v1.0.2
    • updated several libretro-cores
    • updated citra & dolphin

Important!

Systemd & boot should be fixed now. Nevertheless if you use the tmp-emulation.mount then you have to disable & delete the file before you update. So remove /storage/.config/system.d/tmp-emulation.mount it will be restored after the update and you can enable it again.

• Build RR-201905XX-YYYYYYY | Generic testbuild Index of /testing/nvidia-418.74/

• updated to latest LE 9.x
    • updated GCC to 9.1.0
    • updated Generic & RPi kernel to 5.0.13
    • updated Nvidia to 418.74
    • updated Mesa to 19.1.0-rc1
    • updated Vulkan to v1.1.107
    • updated Retroarch to v1.7.7
    • updated moonlight-embedded to v2.4.9
    • updated PCSX2 Docker image to v1.0.2
    • updated several libretro-cores
    • updated citra & dolphin

This is mainly a testbuild for Nvidia users to see if the audio problems were solved by the updated driver version. It's not intended for general usage at the moment.

May i ask if tearing in your chrome addon is still present with this build?

• May i ask if tearing in your chrome addon is still present with this build?

As far as I can say it's still present. I've checked the flags of my Linux Thinkpads and they are pretty much equal. Maybe I haven't noticed it before but if it was introduced after a Chrome update it's probably "their" part to solve it./shrug

I made some tests after Kodi was shut down too. Changing the refresh rate moved the tearing point but still the video had visual tearing.