Accessing network problems, again- (Kind-of)SOLVED!

• Wired or wireless network ?

Have you rebooted the router ?

You said everything was working until you rebooted the Windows 10 machine, correct ?

Did you check the "Advanced sharing settings" - both Private (current profile) and All Networks ?

You could also try this:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This pc is wireless to the router, the LE box is wired. The router has been re-booted but that was at least a week ago.
    Yes this pc was re-booted after an update.

Yep all the appropriate boxes are ticked in advanced sharing.
    I'm going to have a go at the re-install from that video, probably later today - Thanks for that.

• This is not recommended but you could try enabling SMB 1.0 in Window 10. Here's how:

Control Panel / Programs / Programs and Features / Turn Windows features on or off

Scroll down and expand SMB 1.0/ CIFS File Sharing Support

Place a check in SMB 1.0 / CIFS Client

Click OK and Reboot computer

• I tried that a while back, it didn't wan't to work. Doesn't the latest LE version not use SMB 1 at all though? I'd be very happy to downgrade to an earlier version to get it working again though.

• In Kodi, go to:

Settings > Services > SMB Client > Click on Minimum protocol version and select SMBv1

This is in addition to changes made in post #93 above

Edited 2 times, last by blueribb (May 31, 2018 at 12:47 AM).

• Okay I'll give that a try - I'm about an hour or so away from doing that re-install video you posted. I'm in the middle of a large download that I don't want to start again. :)

• Wired or wireless network ?

Have you rebooted the router ?

You said everything was working until you rebooted the Windows 10 machine, correct ?

Did you check the "Advanced sharing settings" - both Private (current profile) and All Networks ?

You could also try this:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

.... and with that (relatively) simple action, the W10 box was updated to the 1803 build and .....

IT WORKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The smb shares work perfectly, eg, smb:\\CAPTAIN\Movies The user account in W10 was 'libreelec' with the same word for the user & password. I had already added that account to the various folders I wanted to share so they were actually already set up. I'll post the various screens here so other people can see exactly what was done. There was no need to try to get smb1 working.

blueribb - send me a message. I've got a 3D printer here and I'll make anything you like and post it to you.
    THANKS!!!!!!!!

• That's great news! Thanks for the offer but I can't think of anything I need or want that would require a 3D printer. If I do, I'll contact you.

The reboot that caused your issue may have installed a Windows Update that was corrupted somehow. If you had tried uninstalling that update, it may have fixed your issue. We'll never know though.

Edited 2 times, last by blueribb (May 31, 2018 at 3:06 PM).

• Aaaaaannnnnnd it's back again.

None of the networking settings have been changed. Checked all the sharing and permission setting, all okay. Checked the passwords, all okay.

As soon as I try to go access one of the folders (that have worked perfectly for some time now) it comes up with the old "invalid argument" error again.
    Any idea where to start with this please?

Edit - I forgot to mention that the router I was using back then crapped itself (Netgear D7700 I think) so I replaced it with a D-Link something-or-other, that was garbage so it is now a TP-Link Archer V900.

Edited once, last by Billzilla (October 13, 2018 at 4:56 AM).

• Does the new router have same IP range?

Some routers uses 192.168.0.xx and others uses 192.168.1.xx.

It that changes and Your devices uses IP adress to connect that might cause errors.

• "Let me guess: this occurs since Microsoft did update your Windows 10 this week?"

Quite possibly.

"

Does the new router have same IP range?

Some routers uses 192.168.0.xx and others uses 192.168.1.xx.

It that changes and Your devices uses IP adress to connect that might cause errors. "

I can't remember, but the SMB share thingy hasn't been changed. See the attachment, that's from earlier in the year and it's still exactly the same now.

• Yep. The intermediate router (D-Link) worked okay without changing anything, though I did have to add the shares to the appropriate folders again. Did the same thing with this router, still no luck.
    I also tried deleting the libreelec user from this W10 box and creating a new one, still no luck.

• Maybe this router doesn't support the new SMB sharing profile. Why not go back to the intermediate router ?

I returned it, as the wireless signal was not reliable enough. Just had a thought, instead of using this W10's name I'll try an IP address.
    And yes I'll also have a look to see if this router is giving trouble with the SMB sharing - Ta for the thought.