@balbes150 LE images with Kodi-19 for S9xxx

• ..sure security is a thing, but most smartphones deliver more data and are often pretty weak too!..many people rather have a working 3.xx-Kernel-Mediaplayer (maybe kept in guestnetwork for security reasons when you are strict) than one with new kernel, but with some issues, unsupported hardware etc. ..

For me on all builds after 20190522 I got problems on the x96 mini 2/16 box, as always meson-gxl-s905w-p281.dtb dtb, internet via eth and sound via usb audio(wifi chip usually doesn't work and I got no speakers on monitor to benefit from hdmi audio):
    -streams showing single frame(audio working) or white screen

-remote not working (on one june build it worked again)

Everything else works like expected on all june builds for me.

Last build tested: LibreELEC-AMLGX.arm-9.1-devel-20190621161139-723bcce-s905x.img.gz

• Official Post

There's no need to panic. Now there is a transition to a new version of the image build process. Naturally, during the transition period there are temporary errors that will be eliminated in the future. You can consider it General cleaning and capital repairs when throw out all old stuff and bring an order in the house. Previously, the compiling, uploading of test samples to the site was performed by each developer independently (it takes a lot of time and resources). This process is now centralized and test builds become nightly builds. It automatiseret the build process and publish images. Developers no longer need to spend a lot of their time on routine operations and will be able to focus on improving the code and fixing bugs. Advice to normal users. Do not listen to the screams of those who deliberately inflate panic and hysteria in order to harm the development of LE in every way to please their personal interests.

• Do not listen to the screams of those who deliberately inflate panic and hysteria in order to harm the development of LE in every way to please their personal interests.

Moreover, sooner or later they will make their fork, will add their little rubbish there, and will call their project. Because they have no way out for the development of another.

• For years and months people have dedicated themselves to testing and reporting help, giving, solving problems here, they have left their family obligations to support this forum when they needed it most.

chewitt

I am not going to deepen it,

because his apologetic vacancies are not objective without annex

and called incompetence

Some of your posts are living proof that SkyNet is far, far away! ;)

• Why ? If another 3.14 kernel release works why should you care ?

It's not working though, that's the point. Digitial passthrough has been broken for quite some time on the LE 3.14 kernel images.

Obviously the images for the other team are fine, but LE should be about running as close to mainline as possible IMHO.

• It's not working though, that's the point. Digitial passthrough has been broken for quite some time on the LE 3.14 kernel images.

Obviously the images for the other team are fine, but LE should be about running as close to mainline as possible IMHO.

Digital passthrough can work perfectly on 3.14. As to the other, its a matter of opinion. I don't think its the right decision to drop support for a platform before the replacement is ready for prime time (especially when there were people who offered to maintain support in the transition) - but thats just my opinion. Duty of care to your loyal user base and all that.

Shoog

• Digital passthrough can work perfectly on 3.14

Please stop with your obsession for 3.14. We both know it's a total patch-fest, there's no vendor support, full of never-to-be-fixed security holes, and even upstream packages which are vital to LibreELEC are starting to have problems supporting such old kernels. Ultimately there's no long term or even short term gain by continuing to maintain a kernel this old.

3.14 has been dropped and the way forward is the mainline kernel - it's a cleaner solution and we don't have to waste time trying to keep old crap building, which is a major distraction.

If you want to continue using builds based on 3.14 then you know what to do.

• I think its totally wrong to say there is no short term future in 3.14
    I think even those using the 3.14 kernel want us to move forward to mainline support - but as has been clearly stated that doesn't work yet and is unlikely to be fully mature for a good while yet - so hang all those AML user out to dry.
    As I said it didn't have to develop this way - that was a policy decision that LE made all on its own.

If Mainline support where the great bugbear that is claimed why release a Rpi4 none mainline Leia build of LE - its simply inconsistent and that tells the lie.

Shoog

• Shoog we (the LibreELEC developers - you know, the ones that actually do the heavy lifting to maintain this stuff) just don't want to waste time maintaining a dead-end 3.14 kernel. There are alternative options available for those that _do_ want to continue using the 3.14 kernel with the latest hacked up versions of Kodi. For everyone else, they can continue using their current version of LibreELEC and Kodi until we have something better to offer them. Iterating on 3.14 in the short term is utterly pointless. And with 100% focus now on maineline, progress is going to happen sooner than it would have done if we still had the distraction of 3.14.

So that's the reality, that's why we have done this - because there are other options now (nobody is forced to use LibreELEC), and 3.14 is a developmental brake that is slowing progress for everyone.

• If Mainline support where the great bugbear that is claimed why release a Rpi4 none mainline Leia build of LE - its simply inconsistent and that tells the lie.

Why? Because RPi4 is going to be massively popular, and we took the decision to push out a short-lived branch with experimental RPi4 support as - unlike the AML situation - there is no other *ELEC option for RPi4 users. RPi has always used modern kernels so rounding out support to include RPi4 wasn't a big deal, and not only that, this RPI4 release is an important learning curve for both us (LibreELEC) and RPi Foundation for brand new hardware.

So just to summarise: AML users have options - they're not being hung out to dry - but RPi4 users don't have the luxury of options, hence this exceptional release. Do you not see the difference?

BTW, the situation in LibreELEC master for RPi (including RPi4) going forward will be entirely different to the way it currently is in libreelec-9.2, particularly once we transition closer to Kodi 19 when MMAL will be dropped.

Progress is happening, sorry it's not the way you'd like it to happen, but it's being coordinated in the best way possible between those that are involved with the code building Kodi and LibreELEC for the future. Continuing to shout from the peanut gallery isn't really contributing anything.

• I'm having an s912 box collecting dust i tried the other elec with it but I have to say I'm not impressed. With 3.14 it limps ahead, stability is far from what I'd call so. My only chance is mainline with panfrost period. 3.14 might work for 905 but not for ALL AML boxen.

So please stop the FUD and appreciate what the devs are doing in their scarce spare time. Or use what better fits your needs, but let us enjoy the world revolve regardless there's an ancient 3.14 rotting alive some place out there.

• I'm having an s912 box collecting dust i tried the other elec with it but I have to say I'm not impressed. With 3.14 it limps ahead, stability is far from what I'd call so. My only chance is mainline with panfrost period. 3.14 might work for 905 but not for ALL AML boxen.

So please stop the FUD and appreciate what the devs are doing in their scarce spare time. Or use what better fits your needs, but let us enjoy the world revolve regardless there's an ancient 3.14 rotting alive some place out there.

I don't know what universe you are in but I have been using it on a S912 for over a year at this stage, since version 8.95.4 its been as good as any of my other media boxes, with a few occasional regressions which were quickly been corrected. i think its yourself who has the bad case of FUD.

Shoog

• chewitt during the CE work on amlogic kernel 4.9 we are still getting issue with ethernet connection at gigabit speed with some boards. I am pretty sure that some of the cabled ethernet issue with mainline have a common root cause. And as we discussed in the past I think it is clock delay related.

Can you try to get from amlogic the spec of PREG_ETH_REG1? Is the (in)famous register set by cali_val that disappeared in amlogic kernel 4.9 and not even taken in account in mainline kernel. I suspect that this register contains some rx related clock configuration, in kernel 3.14 we needed to remove the common 0x20000 set to make some box to work correctly at gigabit speed

• 2019-06-29 LibreELEC-AMLG12.arm-9.80-devel-20190629211026-f9ecb5d-s905x2.img.gz

X96 Max 2G/16G 100M NIC used xxx-rmii.dtb

Similar result to previous image ...... initial attempt at network connection but fails.

Although the NIC is enabled when booted there is no connection, nor any possibility to

enable a connection to be made manually.

EDIT:

I borrowed a USB to ethernet adapter and it worked to connect to LAN.

Unfortunately I cannot connect to LibreElec repository to install some addons. :(

Edited 3 times, last by JohnBoyz: Added Info (June 30, 2019 at 1:09 PM).

• If anyone managed to get a Kodi 18 LibreELEC image to boot on their S905W box, please be kind enough to share that image and maybe even a tutorial on how to do it because maybe I'm doing it wrong. :)