@balbes150 LE images with Kodi-19 for S9xxx

• Hi Guys, 1st post on here so please have pity for a confused n00b.

I'm running an Amlogic box with S912 3/32 config (Tanix TX92) which is Gb ethernet.

This has been running for a week or so now with no issues and I'm ready to move forward with a Libreelec install to support PVR functionality.

The input will be via a PS3 PlayTV dual tuner though I will probably want to use IPTV also and I'm currently using Matt Huismann's plugin as it's quite specific to Au channels.

My main problem has been trying to determine which build to use as none of the images are Amlogic specific (or even labelled as suitable).

Seems like everything else gets named in the files list except Amlogic lol.

I have a device tree based on my config - gxm_q200_3g.dtb and assume that when I eventually get an image onto an SD card I'll have to pin boot first up after copying the renamed tree to the burned image on the SD card though I have absolutely no idea as yet what folder that file is in.

My first thought was to use the generic image - LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.0.0.img as that's the latest and is ticked off as stable if I'm reading the releases page correctly.

The issue is; do I have the correct image for this box/application given that it's only named as generic to AMD/Intel/NVidia?

This is the most likely option I could find in the Libreelec installer

Any advice would be really helpful ATM

• Just a quick feedback:

On the LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-9.1-devel-20190211122903-cb10a6b (downloaded last evening and I'm too lazy to setup the slightly newer version now) everything on my usual x96-mini 2/16 testbox with Armbian Next on eMMC works pretty good from card: USB-audio, Ethernet(works also after reboots) and even the ZattooHiQ works now flawless. Video from local or NAS are also played as expected(tested only mp4/mkv files so far..). Also this is the first aarch64 version I could connect without any issues to Libreelec-Repo!

• I tried to install the latest build (2019021) on the Nexbox A95 (dtb: meson-gxl-nexbox-a95x.dtb). Booting was succesful and it seems to run fine. But I was not able to install to EMMC, using the EMMC menu. It keeps needing the microSD card to boot.

Not sure if this helps, but mount gives the following output:

devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=296316k,nr_inodes=74079,mode=755)

proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)

sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)

/dev/mmcblk1p1 on /flash type msdos (ro,noatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,errors=remount-ro)

/dev/mmcblk1p2 on /storage type ext4 (rw,noatime)

/dev/loop0 on / type squashfs (ro,relatime)

securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)

tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)

devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)

tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,mode=755)

tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)

cgroup2 on /sys/fs/cgroup/unified type cgroup2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate)

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,name=systemd)

pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)

bpf on /sys/fs/bpf type bpf (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=700)

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb)

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio)

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/pids type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids)

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/rdma type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,rdma)

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event)

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)

debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)

tmpfs on /var type tmpfs (rw,relatime)

mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)

hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime,pagesize=2M)

tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)

configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)

Also, I found the following error in the boot messages:

[ 6.559912] FAT-fs (mmcblk1p1): IO charset ascii not found

Also, I noticed that /flash is mounted as 'msdos' and, hence, only has support for abbreviated filenames.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

• New image ver 20190211

Curiosity tested 20190211 on Vim2 Pro and have following observations/feedback. (Most if not all I appreciate will be known to balbes150/developers)

Unable to install over previous existing "running" balbes150 libreelec build on an SD. (Placing tar into update folder then rebooting Vim2 does not appear to work?)

Installing on same SD via PC as a new clean image, then booting Vim2 works absloutely Fine. (i.e. Run from SD card with no altered files, using Upgrade Mode Press and hold power - Short Press Reset - Count to 10 - release power)

WiFi - currently not working for Vim2 (WiFi Drivers for 4.X kernel, not available?)

Build works well with wired connection, moving around GUI installing a few addons then testing Live video streaming before graphics crash kicks in.

Graphics display does not show horizontal glitches in Kodi GUI as with earlier builds. (ongoing improvements to PANFROST open source driver for Mali GPU?)

Graphics crashes occur for me after reasonably short period of playback of live tv channel, always with almost vertical to 45 degree lines up from bottom left corner of 4K Monitor.

Can provide kodi log, debug log but imagine not so useful at this early stage?

• MikeKL the memleaks and other glitches are known to the panfrost developers. Panfrost still has a high overall rate of change and some of the leaks won't be resolved until a proper kernel driver evolves (at the moment we're still using a hacked version of the ARM driver). VIM2 lite WiFi should be able to work with the right combination of firmware/nvram files but VIM2 max was still lacking mainline driver support last time I looked; although that was last summer .. I'll get around to it eventually. No need for logs at this stage.

• Hi Balbes150!

Thank you for your work!

Sorry for my bad English.

I have a question.

The old dual installer does not work on any android 6 system.

(example 12.17)

What should change to work?

Aml_autosript, or S905_autoscript, or aml_autosript.zip, or emmc_autoscript?

What is the difference between android between 6 and 7?

• balbes150 or anyone else !

Do you know if the 3.xx kernel based distros have the Wifi driver included for the SV6051P WiFi chipset, including the softAP function?

This is a popular chipset with X96mini, Mxqpro and A95X etc but unluckily the vendor seems to have gone out of business and I am told the SV6051P driver is not compatible with the 4.xx kernel.

My problem is that my X96mini 1/8GB S905W box works fine with SV6051P WiFi , but for some reason I cannot set up the WiFi AP tethered hotspot mode in LE Configuration ( I can click on buttons but the SSID is not showing up in either my phone WiFi settings or on the WiFi Analyzer app.)

• New image 20190225

Would it be possible/practical to advise what has been added/modified between each of your builds with expected improvements?

For example ref my previous post, clean installed 20190221_test_dvb on SD and quickly tested on KVIM2 Pro. I personally noted following known issues :-

• No Wifi (LAN OK)
    • Live DVB-T via TVheadend and Streamed Live TV, Video freezes with minute or two, Audio continues. (Able to drop back to GUI with no problems etc)
    • Did not test long enough to invoke/notice Graphics Crash or perhaps crash is less frequent now?

Thanks for working on and confirming new builds are available :cool:

PS Is it possible to download latest tar into LibreELEC update folder and update then re-boot to update, without need to destroy previous build on SD with user settings saved etc (know I can create a back-up if not)

• Would it be possible/practical to advise what has been added/modified between each of your builds with expected improvements?

Updated panfrost driver and kernel.

PS Is it possible to download latest tar into LibreELEC update folder and update then re-boot to update, without need to destroy previous build on SD with user settings saved etc (know I can create a back-up if not)

Starting LE is possible from any SD or USB media. Therefore, for tests, you can use any simple media on a USB flash drive. Or install in the eMMC checked the version of LE that works for you and to run the test images to use external media.

• Thanks for information on key areas of change/update to build 20190225

To clarify my second point, I installed build 20190227 this evening. (You removed 20190225 build and replaced with 20190227?)

1st I attempted to install tar file of 20190227 build into update folder of my VIM2 whilst it was up and running on my network (20190211 build)

Then rebooted VIM2 to in theory allow it to perform a restart and automatic install of 20190227 over existing 20190211.

As previously mentioned "just for general information" this method of updating to latest build onto SD appears not work. No problem at all, just providing feedback as this method of updating works for other frequent alpha/beta builds.

In order to get to my previous LibreELEC set-up with few addons installed/configured etc, I made use of available and very good LibreELEC backup option in LibreELEC settings, to create a back-up before installing your latest build (clean img.gz build onto wiped SD using "LibreELEC USB-SD Creator" ) then used backup restore; to get back to my previous addon setup, with your latest build.

Note: Above method of works well, avoiding a manual setup of addons I require after every update to your latest build ;)

• Do you know if the 3.xx kernel based distros have the Wifi driver included for the SV6051P WiFi chipset, including the softAP function?

This is a popular chipset with X96mini, Mxqpro and A95X etc but unluckily the vendor seems to have gone out of business and I am told the SV6051P driver is not compatible with the 4.xx kernel.

My problem is that my X96mini 1/8GB S905W box works fine with SV6051P WiFi , but for some reason I cannot set up the WiFi AP tethered hotspot mode in LE Configuration ( I can click on buttons but the SSID is not showing up in either my phone WiFi settings or on the WiFi Analyzer app.)

It's included in the older kernels but the wireless hotspot function requires drivers to support it and many of the 'Android' drivers do not. We made an attempt to port the SSV6051P driver to the mainline kernel but it needs more than a little tweaking (it's the worst piece of driver crap we've seen in a while) and the attempt was eventually abandoned. My honest advice to anyone seeing a universal solution for hotspots and/or providing support to boxes that have problem wireless chips is to pick up a used 'compact' wireless router (my personal favourites are Apple A1rport Express devices) and use it as a simple Ethernet bridge. It will give better wireless performance and is often cheaper than a decent USB wireless dongle (which inevitably ships with realtek drivers that we may/may-not support) and you avoid all future issues with drivers.

• It's included in the older kernels but the wireless hotspot function requires drivers to support it and many of the 'Android' drivers do not. We made an attempt to port the SSV6051P driver to the mainline kernel but it needs more than a little tweaking (it's the worst piece of driver crap we've seen in a while) and the attempt was eventually abandoned. My honest advice to anyone seeing a universal solution for hotspots and/or providing support to boxes that have problem wireless chips is to pick up a used 'compact' wireless router (my personal favourites are Apple A1rport Express devices) and use it as a simple Ethernet bridge. It will give better wireless performance and is often cheaper than a decent USB wireless dongle (which inevitably ships with realtek drivers that we may/may-not support) and you avoid all future issues with drivers.

Good details ☺

I am a little confused since the comments re: 9.0.1 latest official version say Amlogic devices are still on 3.14 (legacy?) kernel. Of course I am experimenting with balbes150 builds from Dec 27'18 (still 3.14) and not the newer versions, on my X96mini S905W 1/8GB box.

1. Now which older kernels (latest possible) support this SV6051P AP? I am assuming mainline means 4.xx.

2. How can I check (via SSH) above "legacy" kernel to find out other WiFi AP chipsets supported?

I suppose the same Linux commands can be used on mainline to find out their chipset support?

3. Re: USB WiFi , do you support RTL8188 softAP mode?

Cheers,

Edited 2 times, last by shippy (March 1, 2019 at 6:26 AM).

• VIM2 lite WiFi should be able to work with the right combination of firmware/nvram files but VIM2 max was still lacking mainline driver support last time I looked; although that was last summer .. I'll get around to it eventually.

For overall info be aware (according to Khadas) that an updated v1.4 VIM2 Pro and MAX with "in particular" update Wifi module, will soon be available.

• VIM2 v1.4 (Pro & Max) AP6398S Wi-Fi module.
    • Upgraded Wi-Fi module provides VIM2 v1.4 with bluetooth 5.0 vs v1.2 bluetooth 4.2.
    • VIM2 v1.4 (Basic) still original AP6356S Wi-Fi module.
    • Existing VIM2 v1.2 (Pro & Max) has AP6359SA Wi-Fi module. (My current device)

See further detailed Khadas information on changes between VIM2 V1.2 & V1.4 pdf here

• As long as the wireless chips use the standard (correct) device ID's it shouldn't be an issue as the mainline kernel has reasonably intelligent sourcing of the firmware and nvram files (detecting the ID's and using a lookup table). Current VIM1 does not use the correct ID so once we start condensing images we'll need to hack a solution together (and it being hacky, it probably won't be upstreamable) .. but I have some ideas.