[8.90.1] CoreELEC for S905/S912 devices

• from a price perspective and meeting my end user goals,

The Minix U9 is the perfect purchase for the time being, it runs smooth and handles every format i throw at it cost to me was £89, wife can also use this with out phoning me

intel NUC7I7BNK, doesn't handle every format i throw at it, requires many different pieces of software to do what i need and still no software handles 24p 4k HDR MKV's easy enough cost over £500, wife will not use it

so i consider the Minix as a throw away when something better comes i'll replace it but for now with CE i have a better Kodi experience than i would with mainline, get HDR working with Intel hardware and i'd gladly use that

• Not if your ARM based solution costs 1/4 of the Intel product price and will work perfectly well for the next couple of years. Then you would be stupid to pay for the Intel product as, sure as night follows day, in a couple of years (or whenever it is that there is no alternative) you will absolutely get a far more capable product for your buck than you do today, and would have lost very little on your interim product.

Hi.

Sorry, I disagree. I have been looking for replacing my old HTPC with an AMD E2 APU for a couple of years and I had to finally buy a cheap (and great! for the moment) S912 Vorke z6.

I waited for an Apollo Lake NUC, but it's said that HDR was not working and something similar about 10bit decoding. Now, new Gemini Lake NUCs do not support HDR. You need an i3 minimum.

Well, I'm speaking about low cost and low power Pentium and Celeron ones, comparable to these tiny TV boxes. Still, the Intel ones cost minimum 3 times more.

You can visit Kodi Hardware forum.

So, I think that, besides AML and ARM policy, there are so many huge changes and improvements in technology and philosophies (HDR, 10bit decoding, 12 bit, V4L, kernel 4.x, etc.) involved, that current hardware would not last as much as before, so let's take the advantage of it and squeeze it at maximum now, but do not waste so much energy fighting about what this unclear future will finally bring us. Division brings always weakness.

• Sorry, I disagree

Your post agrees with what I just said :/

• There are some very capable Intel based product out there for a little over $130.00. I spent about $90 dollars on my VIM2 with vTV board - and when all the other additions were reckoned the final bill would be about the same.
    I have a old S812 box which is stuck on Jarvis after just over a year and when I factor in all the wasted time I spent on it , it looks like very poor value for money.

Shoog

And they support HEVC decoding with HDR in HDMI 2.0b [email protected] 60Hz 10bit depth (18gbit)?

• The Vorke V1 Plus is what i wish I had have bought instead of the VIM2. Great value at €137.00

The only thing that saved my ass on my own mistake was the CE team.

And lets just say, I am not going to run to keep up with formats i won't be using for at least the next few years. Life's to short for that heartache.

Shoog

• Can this witch (amlogic) hunt stop please?

This discussion has nothing to do with CoreELEC or the LibreELEC community.

Can some moderator close this nonsense or at lease move this conversation to the appropriate sub forum, like Off-Topic?
    Off-Topic

Thank you in advance

• You just registered to post this? Congratulations and welcome.

• This discussion has nothing to do with CoreELEC or the LibreELEC community.

huh?? How is a discussion about a split between CE and LE nothing to do with CoreELEC or the LibreELEC community. :rolleyes:

:D

I'm a user for a while.... despite this being my first post.

huh?? How is a discussion about a split between CE and LE nothing to do with CoreELEC or the LibreELEC community. :rolleyes:

I'm not getting any useful information regarding CoreELEC releases or support from this discussion.

I'm just saying this is not the place.

• You wont since CoreElec no longer lives here. This thread has drifted off course because it is no longer been monitored by the gone developers. You will not get support for Coreelec on it anymore. When the Coreelec website is born it will probably only have a FAQ section and no forum support section. Only real coding bugs will get attention and they will have to be submitted through bugreports on github.

That is the new dispensation.

Shoog

I'm a user for a while.... despite this being my first post.

I'm not getting any useful information regarding CoreELEC releases or support from this discussion.

I'm just saying this is not the place.

• I'm not getting any useful information regarding CoreELEC releases or support from this discussion.

Hmm, you and @Jönke (and, it goes without saying, @bindou) probably missed the point that CoreELEC has felt the need to move on. The latest discussion was mainly sparked by the apparent contempt from LE for doing so (which has since been clarified, somewhat, by @Kwiboo).

Since there'll be no further input from the CoreELEC devs, I think you've kinda 'missed the boat' if you now expect useful information regarding CoreELEC support here, wouldn't you agree :?:

Edited once, last by Poida ().

• The latest discussion was mainly sparked by the apparent contempt from LE for doing so (which has since been clarified, somewhat, by Kwiboo ).

I guess we need to say sorry that facts ruin your day with basic facts.

It is no secret that the AML kernel/driver is a mess and overall not overly good quality code - haven't seen any developer that has an different view about it. Thats basically the reason why you need to fix that much. Thats no criticism (besides to AML that created that mess) just an fact.

But I have no idea why deciding not to put all efforts into an version that has an very limited lifespan is somehow contemptible regarding CE.

Different devs have different goals, different motivations and ofc different abilities or different area of expertise. Not that you can misunderstand me and try hard to push every word in the wrong direction (that is for some reason extremely common in that thread), developing for an old kernel is not easier then doing it for an new one.

Legends that we just dumped AML/3.14 aren't true at all. Ofc we tried to put it all under one umbrella but failed due personal differences.

• so libreelec won't work on wetek play2 and similar devices in the future ? or is it just that this mainline linux code will work with all devices?
    am i understanding this correctly? I am assuming not

• so libreelec won't work on wetek play2 and similar devices in the future ? or is it just that this mainline linux code will work with all devices?
    am i understanding this correctly? I am assuming not

If they manage to achieve the promised mainline kernel support with a working hardware decoder - then it should work fine. I have little doubt they will achieve this. Can't see it happening for Leia release though.

Might be a rocky road getting there.

Shoog