[8.90.1] CoreELEC for S905/S912 devices

• I don't understand how people could use these builds with subtitle stutter. Subtitle is a very important part of a movie and if it does not work properly, the whole thing is no good.

On S912 boxes people disabled hardware decoding which fixed subtitle stutter.

ODROID N2_S922 4G - 1GB Ethernet, X92_S912_q201 3/32G - 1GB Ethernet Box_Android 7.1.2, Mocool KM8_S905X 2/16 0.1GB Ethernet Box_Android 8.0, X96Mini_S905W 2/16G 0.1GB Ethernet Box_Android 7.1.2

• i dont have any issues with subtitles on s905x. perfectly working!

The question was about S912 boxes...

ODROID N2_S922 4G - 1GB Ethernet, X92_S912_q201 3/32G - 1GB Ethernet Box_Android 7.1.2, Mocool KM8_S905X 2/16 0.1GB Ethernet Box_Android 8.0, X96Mini_S905W 2/16G 0.1GB Ethernet Box_Android 7.1.2

• It didn't make a slight bit of difference on S905X

S905 / S905X devices run proper Linux GPU drivers.

The S912's do not and it's why as a minimum Kodi's Dirty Regions needs to be disabled and very likely the GPU drivers updated as well to fix the subtitles video stutter issue.

The S912's have superior ARM Mali Tech vs the rest of the S9xx family to optimise GPU performance, even with non optimal GPU drivers:

Kodi's Dirty Regions - ARM GPU Tech - improving Kodi rendering performance

• First quick test. This is the best version of Kodi!

On the other hand, I still have this problem: random shuffling of some pixels of the interface. After that, we'll be at the top!

Thank you. Good night.

• If I never use subtitles is it still recommended to disable Dirty Regions on my S912 box?

How can I update my GPU drivers?

Thanks

Vorke Z6 Plus (S912)

• No problems with subtitles here, and software decoding would be a no go for me (I use H265 intensively).

For my (simple, basic) use, everything works fine.

JP

Lisbon, PORTUGAL

Sunvell T95X 1G/8G (S905X) -> HDMI -> YAMAHA RX-V775 receiver -> EPSON EH-TW6600 projector

(CoreELEC 8.90)

• Aside from a few very apparant livetv issues i have only found one other issue where no subs are shown at all when ‘automatically play next..’ is active, but my limited knowledge tells me that could be a kodi issue. Livetv debugs have been posted @github

'You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know -..' ~ Walter Sobchak (The Big Lebowski)

• Hello :)

If I had time, I would now work on the display quality of the interface and specifically the pockets for 4K screens. Because we observe that Kodi has a compression of photos, compared to the original available on the website TheMovieDataBase. It's a shame, because the S912 is largely powerful enough to handle a high quality interface. :D

• If I had time, I would now work on . . .

None of the devs working on this have any time. They just do what they can, when they can and share the result :)

If you seriously are capable of helping them out, just do what you can, when you can, and share your results. :thumbup:

If, on the other hand, you just ramble I don't think you really understand the concept of a community project.

I really don't mean to offend but, if we irritate these clever people that make our ridiculously cheap devices impressive with pointless posts they have to wade through, they're eventually just going to keep what they know to themselves and concentrate on their own devices, in private ;(

Edited once, last by Poida ().

• Had time today to test my samples of problematic subtitled video clips on latest CoreELEC-S912.arm-9.0-devel-1523265719, on my X92 box.

Did a fresh install and disabled Dirty Regions via advancesettings.xml.

All my samples play OK - without any "subtitle video stutter" (except for first subtitle) with Hardware Decoding or with Software Decoding. I cannot spot any difference.

Will use this devel version for a couple of days instead of yours "OC_subtitlefix" version to see if anything else starts "missbehaving"...

• Push.

Please, some help... ;(

Can I update files in internal memory, booting from SD?

With SD, it works just fine, though slower - I can see covers loading, no so with internal, faster, memory.

Thanks in advance.

JP

Lisbon, PORTUGAL

Sunvell T95X 1G/8G (S905X) -> HDMI -> YAMAHA RX-V775 receiver -> EPSON EH-TW6600 projector

(CoreELEC 8.90)

• What is this Dirty Regions everyone is talking about? Link please.

<algorithmdirtyregions>1</algorithmdirtyregions>

<!--

Off The entire viewport is always rendered.

1 Union All dirty regions are grouped into the smallest possible rectangle.

This is typically the fastest mode for slower GPUs due to only making one pass.

2 Cost reduction Each dirty region is presented separately, in as many passes as there are regions.

3 Whole Screen The entire screen is rendered if there are any dirty regions.

This, combined with nofliptimeout is a safe default for drivers that clear buffer contents

(manifests as blinking or vibrating images). Default

-->

-2re

8.90 ⇒ MeCool KI Pro ⇒ Onkyo TX-NR656 ⇒ SAMSUNG 65"LED/UHD/PQ1300/T2CS

LG BP50NB40 USB Blu-ray

• <algorithmdirtyregions>1</algorithmdirtyregions>

<!--

Off The entire viewport is always rendered.

To set it off:

Code
    1. <advancedsettings>
    2. <gui>
    3. <algorithmdirtyregions>0</algorithmdirtyregions>
    4. </gui>
    5. </advancedsettings>

• What is this Dirty Regions everyone is talking about? Link please.

Read post #654

• (Sorry for the off topic, Modo, you can delete this message)

"If, on the other hand, you just ramble I don't think you really understand the concept of a community project. [..] with pointless posts they have to wade through"

:/

Excuse me, but I do not find your interventions more useful than mine. I find you scornful. I am aware of the generous aspect that can exist in a dev. I myself have participated a lot in this type of community project, without visible recognition, and I do not care because recognition can take many forms. Today, my fight is elsewhere, but just as necessary.Je ne suis qu'un utilisateur de Kodi. Mon intervention vise à partager des idées. Je n'ai besoin de rien, je partage mon opinion, et cela me semble juste. N'est-ce pas le rôle d'un forum? Si oui, en quoi mon message est-il dangereux? Je ne suis pas au bon endroit? Ou devrais-je aller suggérer cela?

Did you notice that the jackets were subject to compression that degrades their quality? Do you know if it's voluntary? Do you know if this also concerns the Kodi interface? Advance the background, rather than stopping to form ...

Regarding the random pixel offset of the interface. (interface parameter: 4K @ 60ips) Do you also meet this problem? Do you know of a build that does not meet this problem?

Good continuation.

Et grand merci aux devs. Again, according to all my tests, this build is the best I've tested for UHD reading. (Broadband Ethernet, HDR management, etc.) Bravo!

Edited 3 times, last by bindou ().