[8.90.1] CoreELEC for S905/S912 devices

• Where do yo guys get older dvb drivers from? are there zip files with older versions available to download anywhere?

Thanks,

Max

I believe that the modules package from older versions are not compatible with new builds (due to kernel changes) so you have to run an older version of LE to keep old hardware alive. It is one of the few disadvantages of LE compared to running a full OS as a Kodi box.

Shoog

• Is it related to Copyleft - Wikipedia ?

Yep it is. The idea behind Core (stands for Community Rebellion/Revolution) is to focus on community. Anyone should be able to build and publish it under the name and use all the logos without having to fear trademarks. It's the FOSS idea behind Copyleft.

• Good thing to hear that development und support for AML devices will go on.

As an enduser I´m not so familiar with github. Will have to learn it.

But what about the discussions about possible bugs and all other things around the builds ?

Often I found help without new posting because it was already disscussed.

Still here or in a new forum ?

• Yep it is. The idea behind Core (stands for Community Rebellion/Revolution) is to focus on community. Anyone should be able to build and publish it under the name and use all the logos without having to fear trademarks. It's the FOSS idea behind Copyleft.

"community revolution" is great! 8)

long live the revolution! :thumbup::D

Box: Beelink Mini MXIII II (S905X/2GB/32GB SD)

running: LE 8.2.3.1 (thanks kszaq ) and CE 8.90.0 (thanks adamg + afl1 )

• I often read sarcastic comments and advice, from a distinguished developer, about cheap Chinese Amlogic boxes, as if very praised Raspbery Pi isn't cheap.

Many of these "cheap Chinese boxes" are certainly more potent and more versatile than RPi, and it would make me very sad to see the end of development and support for them.

Some time ago I donated to LE community for development; is there a way to make a donation to you and the rest of the team, at least to make it easier to pay for your server?

ODROID N2_S922 4G - 1GB Ethernet, X92_S912_q201 3/32G - 1GB Ethernet Box_Android 7.1.2, Mocool KM8_S905X 2/16 0.1GB Ethernet Box_Android 8.0, X96Mini_S905W 2/16G 0.1GB Ethernet Box_Android 7.1.2

• please create a Paypal account, so we (the ordinary users) can contribute and support to CE development (for hosting etc.). For useful and good projects (Wikipedia, my favourite internet radio station, helping organisations and now CE) I am always willing to spend some money to support... :) keep up the good work!

• parallel post... :)

other guys had the same idea...

• I often read sarcastic comments and advice, from a distinguished developer, about cheap Chinese Amlogic boxes, as if very praised Raspbery Pi isn't cheap.

Many of these "cheap Chinese boxes" are certainly more potent and more versatile than RPi, and it would make me very sad to see the end of development and support for them.

Some time ago I donated to LE community for development; is there a way to make a donation to you and the rest of the team, at least to make it easier to pay for your server?

The difference between the Rpi and the AML boards is the level of support. Almost all AML boards are churned out and left to hang out to dry with shitty software and consequential underperformance. Not even AML support their own products beyond churning out substandard Android builds.

The Rpi is more than capable of running LE and because it is well supported by the Pi foundation the LE builds tend to be rock solid and perform very well from very early on. The Pi 3 has its own issues - but in almost every way it is a better most of these AML boxes.

The difference between Pi and AML is just night and day and if it wasn't for the efforts of LE developers beyond the call of duty these boxes would be pure junk no matter what their nominal specs. I have been suckered into buying two AML boxes into my time (the first a pure mistake, the second on claims of company support which simply didn't materialize), and I wish I had have stuck with Pi's both times. The time I have wasted on them.

Shoog

• hello, on newest build 9.0 I have no tv-adpters avaiable, only IPTV, but I need DVBS2 ..... how to fix it?

in 8.90.6 all is ok.

Mecool KI Pro

S905D 16G/2G

installed on sdcardgxl_p230_k1_pro.dtb

CoreELEC-S905.arm-9.0-devel-1523108117.img.gz (2018-04-07 17:39 | 134MB)

fresh install.

• read and think before buying is in my opinion the right thing for AML boxes

Because there are some (cheap) boxes running quite good, getting Firmware updates, having the choice of FW with developer Custom Roms..

And they always get the same love as my Raspi´s got : active cooling.

just my 2 Cents..

• The Rpi is more than capable of running LE and because it is well supported by the Pi foundation the LE builds tend to be rock solid and perform very well from very early on. The Pi 3 has its own issues - but in almost every way it is a better most of these AML boxes.

I don't agree with this. I have RPi1, RPi2 and RPi3 (not going to spend any money on RPi3+), and all Pi's straggle with contemporary video formats like 1080P HEVC 10bit, not to mention HDR, 444/10, true gigabit ethernet and so on. Most cheap aml boxes handle these formats out of the box with however crappy OS they come with, without any need to run anything from SD cards.

If only these boxes had such support as RPi.., that is the reason why I want to donate for continuing the development

ODROID N2_S922 4G - 1GB Ethernet, X92_S912_q201 3/32G - 1GB Ethernet Box_Android 7.1.2, Mocool KM8_S905X 2/16 0.1GB Ethernet Box_Android 8.0, X96Mini_S905W 2/16G 0.1GB Ethernet Box_Android 7.1.2

• I wish I had have stuck with Pi's both times

Not so sure about that, I'm glad I moved away from the Pi (while there is such good support for the Amlogic 'el cheapo boxes).

viva the CoreElec revolution! :thumbup: