[8.90.1] CoreELEC for S905/S912 devices

• I am considering a change back to kszaq's kernel given all the issues surrounding the LE kernel with upgrading/ frame drops and audio issues, I think something was messed up when codesnake did the Nougat PR to LE and the issues seem deep rooted. Some work would need to be done to make DVB devices compatible again.

I'm not sure if these issues are user related or kernel related, I have a s905D and a S905X, and I don't have any problems with 8.90.6 except from the AAC 2.0 problem. But if it's user related, chancing kernel won't help ;)

-2re

8.90 ⇒ MeCool KI Pro ⇒ Onkyo TX-NR656 ⇒ SAMSUNG 65"LED/UHD/PQ1300/T2CS

LG BP50NB40 USB Blu-ray

• I also vote against going back to an incompatible (for the future) kernel.

Beelink MiniMXIII II 2GB, 32GB always running latest Libreelec from SD card. No issues so far(except for the ones already known or posted by me).

Mecool m8s Pro+ which with widevine level 1, Android runs a hacked version of android TV.

• I also vote against going back to an incompatible (for the future) kernel.

Why incompatible? The future is mainline but that's still 1 or 2 years away from running okay'ish. Kszaq has put in a lot of effort into fixing his Kernel. LE Kernel has some issues and it will take a lot time to fix it probably. Either way will work it just depends how much time it will consume. 3.14 is limited anyway.

• There are 2 problems/observation with 8.90.6 for me (Beelink Mini MXIII II (S905X/2GB/32GB SD):

1. I upgraded via tar from 8.90.4 and my box boots up, showing my Confluence skin

with 1920x1024p resolution. Because of the audio problem described in issue 2 below I decided

to do a fresh install of 8.90.6 on a new SD-card.

The box boots up, the Libreelec-logo ist shown, but the Kodi 18.0 Alpha splash screen does not.

Also no Confluence-skin. The box is on the network and responds to ssh, but the display says 'no signal'.

My box is connected to a LG 4K TV.

Question was: why did an upgrade from 8.90.4 to 8.90.6 work, but a fresh install of 8.90.6 did not work?

After a little thinking I found that 8.90.6 cannot handle the 4K resolution of my TV correctly. If I changed the resolution

of my 8.90.4-installation to 3840 × 2160 before upgrading to 8.90.6 with tar, the upgrade 8.90.4 -> 8.90.6 also does not work

(no Kodi splash-screen, no skin).

It seems to me that 8.90.6 (the new kernel?) cannot handle the 4K-resolution of the TV during a fresh install.

It tries to switch the skin to 3840 × 2160 with no success. This works with 8.90.4.

How can I do a fresh install of 8.90.6 connected to my LG 4K-TV?

At the moment I have to install 8.90.4, change skin-resolution to 1920x1080 and then upgrade to 8.90.6.

This is independent of the skin (Confluence, Estuary,...)

2. I use passthrough sound and mkv-files with AC3 and DTS work fine with 8.90.6.

But when using Netflix or a Mediathek-Addon, the sound switches to slowmo-sound. If this happens

also the GUI-sound is slowmo (the clicks when fast-scrolling a file-list or going back in skin-menues).

mkv-files play furthermore correctly.

Box: Beelink Mini MXIII II (S905X/2GB/32GB SD)

running: LE 8.2.3.1 (thanks kszaq ) and CE 8.90.0 (thanks adamg + afl1 )

• Why incompatible? The future is mainline but that's still 1 or 2 years away from running okay'ish. Kszaq has put in a lot of effort into fixing his Kernel. LE Kernel has some issues and it will take a lot time to fix it probably. Either way will work it just depends how much time it will consume. 3.14 is limited anyway.

Don't know what he means with "incompatible", But the future is forward, not backwards ;)

-2re

LG BP50NB40 USB Blu-ray

• Don't know what he means with "incompatible", But the future is forward, not backwards ;)

Of course you are right but the 3.14 kernel has a limited lifespan anyway. Any effort put in either Kszaq's or LE Kernel is wasted long term. So we can only do damage control and make the best experience to date for users.

Anyway we will consider both. Afl1 has made some nice progress lately. I trust his judgement.

• pepeq

The default skin in Kodi Krypton and Leia is called Estuary. This is not an LE issue, you can install the Confluence skin, but it won't have some of LE's specific menu entries (I still use it on my daily box, and it's not really a problem).

Regarding your TV, I'd say that the first thing to try is a different HDMI cable.

I don't know what TV you have, but also try 4K @ 30Hz just to see if you get something on the screen.

• Hi there,

Since updating to 8.90.6, all PCM audio is played at double speed with pauses to try to re-sync with the video. I was running 8.90.4 without issues.

Is the .tar file for 8.90.4 available somewhere? I can't find it on the releases site.

Thanks!

-KJack

• I am considering a change back to kszaq's kernel given all the issues surrounding the LE kernel with upgrading/ frame drops and audio issues, I think something was messed up when codesnake did the Nougat PR to LE and the issues seem deep rooted. Some work would need to be done to make DVB devices compatible again.

For me last version with patches from you, afl1 and PCM Passthrough patch works without any frame drops for IPTV and for video on my s912 device. Only issues described before. And it have better and smoothly picture on this kernel.

This is just my opinion.

• As I said, this behaviour is independent of the skin (Estuary, Confluence, etc) and it was never a problem before.

During a fresh install Estuary is the skin and Kodi (or the install-process) chooses [email protected] as skin resolution

(because my TV can handle this). My Beelink box is connected with HDMI over a Bose-AVR to the LG -TV.

If I connect the Beelink to the TV directly without AVR, then the Kodi-GUI is displayed (same HDMI cables)

So it is a matter of HDMI as you assumed. If I lower refrash rate from 60Hz to 30Hz manually in skin-settings it

works also with AVR.

But again: the same constallation, same HDMI cables worked with 8.90.4 without these problems. It seems that 8.90.6 is

much more sensitive regarding HDMI-cables/connection-issues/timing-issues as 8.90.4 and former versions.

My HDMI-cables are very good and I never had any HDMI-artefacts or -distortions with 8.2.x and 8.90.4.

Box: Beelink Mini MXIII II (S905X/2GB/32GB SD)

running: LE 8.2.3.1 (thanks kszaq ) and CE 8.90.0 (thanks adamg + afl1 )

• No, there is no problem.

All passthrough options are working with no problem at all, even DTS-HD MA on latest build.

there is a problem. I put a channel in hd and when I change the pvr to another channel in sd the sound of the sd is not heard. it's as if the ac3 decoder is caught and the mp3s are no longer heard

• Hi, I had the same issue. Fixed by editing /storage/.kodi/userdata/guisettings.xml replace 60 with 30

Code
    1. service kodi stop
    2. vi /storage/.kodi/userdata/guisettings.xml
    3. ...
    4. <setting id="videoscreen.resolution">30</setting>
    5. <setting id="videoscreen.screen" default="true">0</setting>
    6. <setting id="videoscreen.screenmode">00384002160030.00000pstd</setting>
    7. ...

Best regards

Charlie.

• I think it would be wise to continue with kszaq's kernel for now.

I see people stating very obvious things ('the future is forward', 'incompatible' etc etc),

Most of us know these things, it's just that moving forward while there are major regressions compared the a more solid current solution imo is losing sight of the purpose of these builds (a very nice experience).

I fully agree what Raybuntu stated about this (#63), although he clearly knows what he is talking about much more so than me ;)

Very much looking forward to a current build based on the fully working kernel.

@all DEV's: Thanks for all the work that is and hopefully will be put into these builds.

Regards,

Atreyu

'You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know -..' ~ Walter Sobchak (The Big Lebowski)

• I'm not sure if these issues are user related or kernel related, I have a s905D and a S905X, and I don't have any problems with 8.90.6 except from the AAC 2.0 problem. But if it's user related, chancing kernel won't help ;)

I very glad for you it all works in your case.

The answer to your question i think is: both.

'You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know -..' ~ Walter Sobchak (The Big Lebowski)

• hmm, Am I the only one that think's this is a TEST Built?? ;)

-2re

LG BP50NB40 USB Blu-ray

• No.

We are all 'testing'. That's how i discovered issues with DVB in the new kernel ;)

• Why incompatible? The future is mainline but that's still 1 or 2 years away from running okay'ish. Kszaq has put in a lot of effort into fixing his Kernel. LE Kernel has some issues and it will take a lot time to fix it probably. Either way will work it just depends how much time it will consume. 3.14 is limited anyway.

Okay, let's see what happens then.

Beelink MiniMXIII II 2GB, 32GB always running latest Libreelec from SD card. No issues so far(except for the ones already known or posted by me).

Mecool m8s Pro+ which with widevine level 1, Android runs a hacked version of android TV.