I fail to see why, LE can't continue along the path they've chosen and let CE do the same, without trying to discredit / insult them
No one in Team LibreELEC is trying to discredit or insult CoreELEC or any other community builders, they are doing a fantastic job at supporting Amlogic devices! There is mainly just a split view on what to focus development efforts on.
A bullet point list from a former amlogic LE dev (helped ensure Odroid C2 worked with the common LE 3.14 amlogic kernel and made it possible to wake/power-on your C2 device with help of CEC), now self proclaimed LE Rockchip maintainer:
- Amlogic userbase is ~10-15% of total users (most use different
community builds) yet generate massive amount of support and help posts in the forum
- Current amlogic platform support in Kodi is scheduled for removal after Kodi Leia v18 is released
- Majority of LE devs want to focus on mainline linux (and single-board computer) support across the different arm platforms (Amlogic, Allwinner, NXP, Rockchip)
- Kodi gbm/drmprime platform is the platform that amlogic (and other embedded platforms) will have to use in future versions of Kodi, if all goes well even Intel and RPi can be switched to use this Kodi platform
- Mainline linux is currently not fully supporting multi-channel HDMI audio, 10-bit color depth, HDR or a full YCbCr HDMI pipeline
- Amlogic, Allwinner and Rockchip mainly use same HDMI Tx IP and any progress made on above missing features should benefit all platforms
This is in no way meant to discourage/disrespect use or development of current 3.14 based builds, it is only a list of facts and things to look forward to in future builds.