[8.90.1] CoreELEC for S905/S912 devices

• where is latest kernel libreelec (s905x based) links for test?

• You have the choice between working today and dead tomorrow or not working today but ready for the future.

Both ways have their raison d'être.

The choice is only one - working today and working tomorow -> choose working

ODROID N2_S922 4G - 1GB Ethernet, X92_S912_q201 3/32G - 1GB Ethernet Box_Android 7.1.2, Mocool KM8_S905X 2/16 0.1GB Ethernet Box_Android 8.0, X96Mini_S905W 2/16G 0.1GB Ethernet Box_Android 7.1.2

• if you are happy with Kodi 18 till you throw away your box then this is the way to go

Why? I always choose working. If and when 19 will work, and I don't see why it wouldn't, then that is my way to go.

ODROID N2_S922 4G - 1GB Ethernet, X92_S912_q201 3/32G - 1GB Ethernet Box_Android 7.1.2, Mocool KM8_S905X 2/16 0.1GB Ethernet Box_Android 8.0, X96Mini_S905W 2/16G 0.1GB Ethernet Box_Android 7.1.2

• CvH

I believe that there is a place for mainline and there's a place for 3.14.

Yes, 3.14 is old. Yes, 3.14 requires a bunch of patches to work correctly. Yes, it will not be supported by Kodi 19. But to remind you, we're still on Kodi 18 Alpha, so I think there's still time to make the switch.

The decision to focus on 3.14 is based on the very simple fact that the large majority of users want to have a functioning system today, rather than a year from now. We're waiting for improvements in AML support in mainline as much as everybody else, and won't hesitate to make the switch once we can guarantee that most things are working the way they should.

Our focus is on the users, to make sure that they have the best user experience we can provide, today.

• Has anybody been successfull in updating RB-Leia 24 with the CoreELEC-S905.arm-8.90.1.tar file on a Wetek Play 2?

I'm getting a message that this update is incompatible with Wetek Play 2 hardware?

Should I do a complete rebuild?

• Though I agree with the ambition to achieve mainline support I am with the Coreelec team in needing a a functional system now. I am in a corner case where Kodi Krypton doesn't offer the hardware support I need so Leia is the only option for me at the present moment. It seems to me that AMlogic will never care enough about the Libreelec/Linux community to provide the kind of support wanted by the Libreelec team and to do so would put them on the wrong side of ARM anyway who are positively antagonistic to Linux. Anyone who has lived through the painfully slow evolution of Noveau drivers will realize the disjoint between what we would like and what we can live with.
    Amlogic are not been helpful to Linux so it will be an uphill struggle to achieve mainline at a useable level. Since Amlogic probably represents 50% of Kodi user base - throwing a hissy fit that someone is offering support for what is available now seems counter productive and on this I am with Coreelec.

I want to live in the real world rather than the Platonic ideal.

Shoog

Edited once, last by Shoog ().

• As a user, not developer, with a couple of 905w boxes, I have fully working devices now due to the work on the 3.14 kernel.

So to my way of looking at this, the work on the 3.14 has had great benefits and I am forever thankful to those who did the work.

When mainline has the necessary support for my devices I expect I will change ..... but until then I can use my devices fully.

So +1 to what 'The Coolest' said above.

• I think it works even better than all RPIs with mainline kernel.

Don't mix hw speed with driver quality, ofc the RPi is much slower but the RPi has far superior software/driver support. Basically just works.

I always choose working

Thats okay, you are just a user - but I wrote from an dev point of view - the user chooses whatever works somehow, but if the devs don't develop something the user has nothing to choose from and yes the current 3.14 AML is dead with K19 and this will not change because it get ripped out of Kodis codebase (that should already happen for Kodi18 but was delayed due the missing Mainline support). And don't hope that required changes just appear from vendor site or some nerd hacks it together over the weekend. Its by an huge margin not that simple.

Our focus is on the users, to make sure that they have the best user experience we can provide, today.

I am not complaining, I just explained the current situation that is a bit messed up due two implementations that are not compatible to each other and are at completely different development stages. Some ppl stated that we are dropping AML and nobody is developing for it anymore etc that is and was always wrong. Its basically just different goals.

Amlogic are not been helpful to Linux

You know that AML is basically working under mainline linux - today ! Ofc some important bits are missing regarding Kodi but that is wip (therefore the current situation).

Btw Kodi has no intention to support and maintain an not standard out of tree codec that don't follow the basic defaults. They already killed the Android non standard codecs and with K19 they kill the last linux codecs that are not following the defaults. So sticking with the legacy driver/codec is not an option for the future.

I am not complaining, I just explained the current situation that is a bit messed up due two implementations that are not compatible to each other and are at completely different development stages.

CvH

This explains things very clearly, and shows us users that there is need for both ...... one for present working and the other for the future.

I am unsure why it should be messed up ....... but that is likely out of my comfort zone ..... particularly if the two 'branches' are kept separate.

• Hello,

i have a huge problem.

accidentially i deleted the libreelec s905x 8.90.1 files.

this version was the most stable on my device.

this link doesnt work anymore.

does anybody have the dtbs, .tar and img.gz and can send me?

• CoreELEC

Wired like Donnie Brasco Got a mic and a host rockin' cowboy hats With them wild boys cats.

• Thats okay, you are just a user - but I wrote from an dev point of view - the user chooses whatever works somehow, but if the devs don't develop something the user has nothing to choose from and yes the current 3.14 AML is dead with K19 and this will not change because it get ripped out of Kodis codebase (that should already happen for Kodi18 but was delayed due the missing Mainline support). And don't hope that required changes just appear from vendor site or some nerd hacks it together over the weekend. Its by an huge margin not that simple.

It should also be acknowledged that, if the un-nerdy developer loses sight of their supposed end market (the lowly user), then 'some nerd' who hacks it together and keeps the boxes, that the majority possess, working is actually far more user orientated than those who insist on specific, more expensive equipment before they will apply their talents. I fail to see why, LE can't continue along the path they've chosen and let CE do the same, without trying to discredit / insult them :/

I believe, today, both have there pro's and cons and those that own the h/w that LE will not support, will most likely use CE instead.

• Just FYI, anyone using CE, the new CoreELEC version 8.90.2 will be released shortly.

Wired like Donnie Brasco Got a mic and a host rockin' cowboy hats With them wild boys cats.

• really?

and why isn't it as stable as libreelec 8.90.1?

i never had freezing with it. with core elect box freezes once per day.

The link you pasted was for older builds of what is now named CoreELEC.

I have no idea why it isnt working on your box, and if you have major issues with the new one you should post on the github with logs what your issues are, maybe they can sort them out.

There is a new version coming out soon as well, so maybe you can wait till that one?