[8.90.1] CoreELEC for S905/S912 devices

• If you have no network connection then you cannot get the addons. Check the dtb, enable wait for network, etc.

RPI3 1GB, Z4 RK3368 1GB, MINI MX-G 2GB, Mini M8S II (coreelec.org 9.2.1), H96 Pro (coreelec.org 9.2.1), ODORID N2 (coreelec.org 9.2.1), VIM3 PRO (coreelec.org 9.2.1), Beelink GT King (coreelec.org 9.2.1), Denon AVR-X2600H, LG 60SJ810V
    pel.hu

• For the Beelink GT1 2go, I put the following dtb: "gxm_q200_2g.dtb". Ethernet port well detected, but no internet ...
    I just tried to activate the network wait. Without success... :(

Edited once, last by bindou ().

• For all of the versions back to 8.90.4 I am getting the behaviour:

- on a reboot the first channel switch in dvb plays for a second and then freezes. This effects any stream which is set to HW acceleration.

-I have mpeg2 set to HW acceleration on HD and up.

-I switch to a SD channel using software acceleration and the stream starts.

-after this switches between SD and HD channels and HD to HD channels happen without issue

-so it seems that some part of the graphics stack needs to wake up before it can receive HW accelerated content, but once awake it stays awake indefinitely. Switching to software accelerated content seems to trigger the wake up.

-if you attempt to go from the first frozen channel to another HW accelerated channel then box locks up and needs a reboot.

i originally attributed this to clashes between the dTV tuner on my VIM2 and the HW acceleration, but I am not so certain now since starting streams seems to be effecting a range of boxes. This behaviour is very consistent from boot to boot.

I am also still getting choppy playback on 25fps content - which is nearly all SD streams in the UK.

Otherwise picture quality on HD is excellent and playback is nice and smooth. Channel switching is still a bit slow - but this maybe a dTV card issue.

Shoog

• I take the one directly in the "device_trees" folder. The q201 dtb does not work. Ethernet port not connected. :/

I take "https://libreelec.adamg.co.uk/releases/dtb/S912/", no boot. locked on "Beelink" logo. :(

(I have everything installed on an external card)

Edited 4 times, last by bindou ().

• I take the one directly in the "device_trees" folder. The q201 dtb does not work. Ethernet port, not disconnected. :/
    (I have everything installed on an external card)

Does't work here.. T95z plus 3/32gb. Wifi works well.

• Your device probably needs a rc keymap (it changed recently frome remote.conf to rc_maps.conf) I suggest that capable users with devices collect keymaps and we include those in the build so it's working ootb.

(Sunvell T95X)

I upgraded from 8.0.1l (almost one year old...).

Placed the new .tar and new device tree in UPDATE folder (renamed to dtb.img), rebooted.

It seems alright, but no original remote keys. Is it possible to recover original IR functionality instead of MCE remote functions?

Another thing I notice is it appears to ignore "advancesettings.xml". What should I do?

JP

Lisbon, PORTUGAL

Sunvell T95X 1G/8G (S905X) -> HDMI -> YAMAHA RX-V775 receiver -> EPSON EH-TW6600 projector

(CoreELEC 8.90)

• I don't agree with this. I have RPi1, RPi2 and RPi3 (not going to spend any money on RPi3+), and all Pi's straggle with contemporary video formats like 1080P HEVC 10bit, not to mention HDR, 444/10, true gigabit ethernet and so on. Most cheap aml boxes handle these formats out of the box with however crappy OS they come with, without any need to run anything from SD cards.

If only these boxes had such support as RPi.., that is the reason why I want to donate for continuing the development

There is no 4:4:4 content (HDR or SDR) out in the wild unless you are shooting it yourself. All consumer content is 4:2:0 - whether it is DVD, Blu-ray or UHD Blu-ray, SD broadcast TV or HD broadcast TV.

4:2:2 MPEG2 and H264 is found on some professional satellite uplinks - but there are very few Kodi-platform devices that properly support 4:2:2 hardware accelerated decode, as the hardware is targeted at consumers.

The Pi doesn't support HEVC VPU hardware acceleration (though it has some nifty GPU acceleration AIUI) and doesn't support 10 bit or 4K output. However for an HD only device for playing DVD and Blu-ray content - it's a very compelling platform and 'it just works'... The Pi3B+ is still a very sensible choice if you aren't worried about 4K or HEVC (I have no non-4K HEVC content in my library)

The AMLogic platforms are fun - I have a C1, C1+, C2, Vero 4K, S905X no-name, S912 Minix U9-H all on a shelf. The Vero 4K and Minix U9 are both great - but if someone asks me what they should buy for a simple, straightforward 'play ripped DVDs and Blu-rays and watch TV Headend stuff' I say a Pi 3B+. The OOB experience is just better.

• There is no 4:4:4 content (HDR or SDR) out in the wild unless you are shooting it yourself. All consumer content is 4:2:0 - whether it is DVD, Blu-ray or UHD Blu-ray, SD broadcast TV or HD broadcast TV.

4:2:2 MPEG2 and H264 is found on some professional satellite uplinks - but there are very few Kodi-platform devices that properly support 4:2:2 hardware accelerated decode, as the hardware is targeted at consumers.

My point exactly - there is not a real world situation where the pi's don't function more than adequately. Most of us will not be using 4K for a very long time since there is no 4K broadcast content and no broadcasters are planning to migrate in the near to medium range.

Shoog

• I experience similar issues still with DVB channel switching since 8.90.6+. No complete lockups, though.

Channels freeze for about 8 seconds after a channel change in most cases.

I have provided the debug logs where the isuue is reproduced, but i haven't noticed it being looked at @github.

If this is not being worked on i'll try and reproduce again with next release in hopes that some dev can recognize and fix the issue.

'You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know -..' ~ Walter Sobchak (The Big Lebowski)

• I give up again. :( I had promised myself to wait for version 90.7; I should have listened to myself.

Since these are alpha builds for testing puposes i would suggest to not give up (in fact, never give up ;) ), but rather reproduce the issue and send debug logs so these issues can be tackeled before final release.

'You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know -..' ~ Walter Sobchak (The Big Lebowski)

• I give up again. :( I had promised myself to wait for version 90.7

I'm afraid you might wait a very long time for LE 8.90.7 version, as (almost?) all developers left LE project

ODROID N2_S922 4G - 1GB Ethernet, X92_S912_q201 3/32G - 1GB Ethernet Box_Android 7.1.2, Mocool KM8_S905X 2/16 0.1GB Ethernet Box_Android 8.0, X96Mini_S905W 2/16G 0.1GB Ethernet Box_Android 7.1.2

• My point exactly - there is not a real world situation where the pi's don't function more than adequately. Most of us will not be using 4K for a very long time since there is no 4K broadcast content and no broadcasters are planning to migrate in the near to medium range.

Most, but not me. My material is about 90% 1080p HEVC 10bit and my 4k UHD colection is getting larger every day. Pi's obsolete board is no more in my focus, and "Most of us" number will be less and less as time goes by.

For me Pi3+ is just a grasp for a straw to stay in media player focus.

ODROID N2_S922 4G - 1GB Ethernet, X92_S912_q201 3/32G - 1GB Ethernet Box_Android 7.1.2, Mocool KM8_S905X 2/16 0.1GB Ethernet Box_Android 8.0, X96Mini_S905W 2/16G 0.1GB Ethernet Box_Android 7.1.2