Glitchy HEVC Playback S905

• Hardware: Beelink Mini MX III 2GB/16GB

Software: LibreELEC 7.0.2.005 running from microSD card

Bug:

- Glitchy video for a few seconds from the start of videos, from new chapters only when skipped to, and when a video is resumed.

- The bug is present in Alex's OpenELEC builds and previous LibreELEC builds, but is not present in SPMC or Kodi when run through Android on the device.

- Bug seems more prevalent in 10 bit files.

- Seems to be worse on files played from USB.

- Sometimes files start from around 15 seconds in, so the beginning of the video is missing. Skipping back to the start after this happens makes the video play perfectly.

- In the log below, I ran the test video several times. The first time was not very glitchy, but subsequent runnings were.

Using this video sample: video-h265.mkv

Logfile here:

NcQT

Edited once, last by WileCoyote (July 31, 2016 at 2:38 PM).

• Hi,

I cannot reproduce the bug. Using also LibreELEC 7.0.2.005 running from microSD card, I could play back the file without any trouble multiple times.

I tried several HEVC test files after I setup my box (both 720p and 1080p, Main and Main10 profile) and did not encounter any visible glitches yet.

Box: OTT MXQ Pro 4k (p200) with Amlogic S905 Rev.b. TV: old Philips (Full HD)

Can you provide a longer file that always shows glitchy playback on your device? If glitches only happen sometimes and are not reproducable, your board/SoC might have a defect or some chip might be overheating.

• Hi,

I cannot reproduce the bug. Using also LibreELEC 7.0.2.005 running from microSD card, I could play back the file without any trouble multiple times.

I tried several HEVC test files after I setup my box (both 720p and 1080p, Main and Main10 profile) and did not encounter any visible glitches yet.

Box: OTT MXQ Pro 4k (p200) with Amlogic S905 Rev.b. TV: old Philips (Full HD)

Can you provide a longer file that always shows glitchy playback on your device? If glitches only happen sometimes and are not reproducable, your board/SoC might have a defect or some chip might be overheating.

Thanks for testing so quickly. The file I provided the link to always glitches, but for some reason, does not glitch much when first played. I don't think it's a defective chip as these files work flawlessly on SPMC.

I will try to find some more examples.

• Thanks to all that tested. Can anyone who can read Kodi logs have a look through mine and see if anything jumps out as an obvious cause?

Is this normal?:

There also seem to be some audio synchronization issues in the error log.

• my log has the same entries when playing HEVC

Thank you for the file and your testing.

I've just tried to stream some files from my PC rather than using USB, and the glitches seem less likely to appear. My USB drives are only USB 2.0, so perhaps they don't allow the buffer to fill quickly enough.

Any chance you could try the test files from a slowish USB 2.0 stick and see if you could reproduce the problem?

Perhaps the reason these files play on Android SPMC and Kodi, but not OpenELEC or LibreELEC is because the buffer/cache settings are different?

Edited once, last by WileCoyote (July 31, 2016 at 1:11 PM).

• I tried the test files from this thread as well as other HEVC demo files (Jellyfish HEVC in high bitrates) from both my local network and an old usb stick. No lag or dropped frames.

• I tried the test files from this thread as well as other HEVC demo files (Jellyfish HEVC in high bitrates) from both my local network and an old usb stick. No lag or dropped frames.

Thank you for your extensive testing. Luckily the glitching is more of an annoyance than a problem. Maybe it'll correct itself in later builds somehow.