7.0.2.008 build for S905/S905X

• 7.0.2.008 (2016-10-13)
    Source code: GitHub - kszaq/LibreELEC.tv at 7.0.2.008
    Kernel source code: GitHub - kszaq/linux-amlogic-le at 48d3a2fe0559f1b1088b49c4f9d911b2baf7370e
    Downloads: 7.0.2.008

Important: please read Updating section below!

Changelog:

• S905X specific

• no more booting issues!
      • fixed 4K H264 playback
      • added VP9 hardware decoding support - thanks to braindamagedman for adapting header update function
      • fixed HD Audio and multichannel output by patching device tree (credits to afl1)
    • kernel updated to latest publicly available version from Amlogic
    • fixed output_rgb that forces RGB output
    • fixed channel mapping with 7.1 output
    • minor fixes to installtointernal script
    • moved USB and CEC interrupts away from CPU0 to fix live TV issues for some USB DVB tuners
    • fixed 1/4 screen video with 4K output (credits to wrxtasy)
    • added back advancedsettings.xml to fix audio buffering issues with some live TV channels
    • added a workaround for a black bar above video with 4K SMPTE output (not tested)
    • changed default CPU governor to interactive
    • added console on serial port
    • fixed Kodi option to choose Power button action
    • added aspect ratio detection for H.264 streams - thanks to pec for implementing the patch, chbmuc for PR and HD-Lite channels fix. I also added a check that turns ratio detection on only for streams that need it (to keep CPU usage low)
    • added a workaround to make suspend (partially) work
    • added a possibility to update a device tree during system update
    • bumped coherent_pool_size to 4MB to fix firmware loading for some USB DVB tuners
    • added Kodi patch from RPi for settings option to boost centre audio channel when downmixing
    • added hardware demux buffering patch from Davilla to allow higher bitrate hardware decoding (e.g. "Jellyfish" up to 400Mbps)
    • updated Bluetooth firmware for BCM4335 chip (thanks afl1)
    • memory management optimized a little bit
    • other little fixes and improvements

Known issues:

• Opening some high bitrate HEVC files/streams may lead to system lock - this is a bug in Amlogic hardware decoder memory allocation code.
    • If you use S905X device with TV without HDR support the screen will be darker than normal on boot. It goes back to normal after you start/stop a video.
    • Aigale WiFi chips are not supported.
    • Built-in DVB tuners are not supported.
    • Suspend doesn't work most of the times. Temporary solution: use poweroff.
    • Temperature reading not available.
    • Jerky playback of some 29.97fps videos and some Live TV channels (Amlogic HW decoder bug).
    • CEC might not work when your box has incomplatible u-boot or your TV is not that well supported by Amlogic low-level CEC driver.
    • Lots of other things that I did not notice.

How to install
    [hr]
    I strongly recommend trying running this release from SD card/USB drive before installing to internal memory!

If you have WeTek Hub, you don't need to use toothpick method: update to latest Android version and make use of dual-boot feature!

How to choose a device tree:
    You can download device trees blobs (images) from device_trees
    Important: Do not use device trees from previous build! You also cannot use device tree from Android firmware as in 99% cases it won't work.

• S905: First look for device tree with your box name in it. In case there is no such image, download generic one. Device trees for S905 boxes start with gxbb.

• example: for a box with 2GB of RAM and 100Mbit Ethernet, you should download gxbb_p200_2G_100M.dtb
      • example: for boxes with Gigabit Ethernet download gxbb_p200_1Gbit.dtb
      • for boxes with Realtek WiFi (e.g. K1 Plus or K2 Pro) download device tree with RealtekWiFi in name
    • S905X: Device trees for these boxes start with gxl. You can leave a tree that is already present on SD card (fresh install only) or choose one according to your RAM amount.

SD card/USB drive:
    Note: only 1 USB port is able to boot the box. You have to try them all.

• Download img.gz file and burn it to SD card/USB drive: Installation - LibreELEC
    • After this you will see that drive capacity is 512MB. This is OK as there is a second (hidden) partition on the drive for LE userdata!
    • Download a device tree, rename it to dtb.img and copy it to main folder of SD card/USB drive - replace the one that's already there.
    • To boot the system for the first time you have to use one of the following:

• toothpick method: disconnect the power supply, insert card/drive, use a toothpick to push reset button and connect the power while holding the button. Wait until LibreELEC logo appears and release the button.
      • recovery method: boot into Android, insert card/thumb drive and choose Reboot to recovery. Your box should boot into LibreELEC.
      • recovery method (take 2nd variant): if you have "Update" app pre-installed open it, insert SD card with LE/connect USB drive, and choose any ZIP file in the app for update. Your box should reboot to LE.

Internal memory (NAND/eMMC):
    Recommended way: run LE from SD card first. If it runs fine, connect to your box over SSH, execute installtointernal command and follow on-screen instructions. This command wipes SYSTEM and DATA partition!

CAUTION: If your box has a non-standard partition layout, you will see an error when trying to boot from internal memory for the first time. To solve it, you need to boot one more time from SD card and run installtointernal again.

Alternative way of installing via recovery (not recommended):

• (This step is not needed when you have Android on internal memory) Download Android firmware for your box - you should get it from manufacturer or seller - and extract 2 files: recovery.img and dtb.img to your SD card.
    • Download zip file from LibreELEC release folder.
    • Unpack downloaded file to SD card/USB drive - you should now have 5 files on your card: aml_autoscript, factory_update_param.aml, a zip file with an update, dtb.img and recovery.img.
    • Download a device tree for your box, rename downloaded file to ledtb.img and copy it to main folder of SD card.
    • Insert SD card to your box and use "toothpick" method to install it. Alternatively you can boot into Android Recovery and install it manually.

To boot into recovery after installing LE to internal memory use this procedure:

• prepare a clean, FAT32-formatted SD card or USB drive
    • copy recovery.img and dtb.img from your Android firmware to SD card (don't use dtb.img for LE!)
    • use "toothpick" method to boot from SD card/USB drive

Updating
    [hr]
    Update by downloading img.gz to Update folder. You should also download a new device tree, rename it to dtb.img and put in Update folder with an update file. You should have both files in Update folder before rebooting.
    HOW TO:Update LibreELEC - LibreELEC

CAUTION:

• If you use a device tree from a previous build, you will experience audio stuttering issues and no passthrough.
    • If you have a device with non-standard partition layout and have LE installed to internal memory, you have to perform a clean install.

FAQ
    [hr]
    Q: My remote control does not work, what can I do?
    A: Grab remote.conf file from Android firmware (it's available in /system/etc) and copy it to Configuration folder: /storage/.config over SSH or \\your_box_IP\Configuration using Windows shares. You can also put that file to main folder of your SD card. You may need to remap some buttons.

If you like my work, you can buy me a coffee (or without PayPal account: link)

Edited once, last by kszaq (November 15, 2016 at 10:15 AM).

• How can we check if 007 has a non-standard partition ?
    [hr]

"Updating
    [hr]
    Update by downloading img.gz to Update folder. You should also download a new device tree, rename it to dtb.imb"

Hy Kszaq, you mean dtb.img?

Probably dtb.imb since its updating using the update folder instead of dd.

Edited once, last by JonSnow (October 13, 2016 at 11:13 PM).

• "Updating
    [hr]
    Update by downloading img.gz to Update folder. You should also download a new device tree, rename it to dtb.imb"

Hy Kszaq, you mean dtb.img?

Yes, of course it is dtb.img. Now corrected. Thank you for careful reading! :D

• Anyone know which is the best dtb for the Beelink Mini MXIII?

I tried gxbb_p200_2G_1Gbit.dtb but seem to have lost my wifi connection.

Try with Realtek in the name gxbb_p200_2G_1Gbit.dtb since MXIII has a Realtek card.

Edit: I just noticed there is no gxbb_p200_2G_1Gbit_RealtekWiFi.dtb

kszaq mind uploading one for us MXIII owners, i suspect you want to keep the dtb files as universal as possible.

Edited once, last by JonSnow (October 14, 2016 at 12:30 AM).

• Anyone know which is the best dtb for the Beelink Mini MXIII?

I tried gxbb_p200_2G_1Gbit.dtb but seem to have lost my wifi connection.

Try the gxbb_p200_2G_beelink_minimxIII.dtb from here: device_trees

I compared several dtb files from 20161003 development build with that of 7.0.2.008 and found that they are the same. I guess the above dtb.img would be too.

• I am extremely happy with the advances in the s905 SOC and LibreElec. It is so nice to see someone with knowledge keeping this distro alive and advancing. I cant see the same in OpenElec.

• Thanks for releasing 7.0.2.008 on my birthday :)

I want to report a kernel module symbol issue
    [ 15.729319@2] dvb_usb_v2: Unknown symbol smp_mb__after_atomic (err 0)
    as a consequence, my USB DVB-T no longer works.

I hope this can be fixed easily.
    Is your git repository up to date? Then I can try to fix it myself as well.

have a nice day

• Try the gxbb_p200_2G_beelink_minimxIII.dtb from here: device_trees

I compared several dtb files from 20161003 development build with that of 7.0.2.008 and found that they are the same. I guess the above dtb.img would be too.

Here is my finding on a Beelink Mini MXIII internal install of 008

Updated using Oct 03 devl gxbb_p200_2G_beelink_minimxIII.dtb
    SSID shows but does not connect.
    Bluetooth shows my speaker and sometimes connects but does not output any audio.
    Using the "S" key and selecting reboot or power off freezes the box. Power off from the remote is fine.
    The back key on the remote no longer works.

Updated using 008 gxbb_p200_2G_1Gbit.dtb
    SSID shows connected, had to connect twice. Auto connects on reboot sometimes to my sql library, really a hit or miss. WiFi is extremely slow, slower than i remember at times i thought the box froze but it was loading. I mainly use LAN but I think kszaq may need to add a fix.
    Bluetooth gave me trouble but eventually connected and played audio to my speaker.
    Using the S key for reboot or power off works perfectly.
    Back key is still broken for whatever reason.

Edited once, last by JonSnow (October 14, 2016 at 2:27 AM).

• Watching a live American Football stream.
    Issues with 48000hz live stream.
    Used another stream 22050hz Played perfect.
    kszaq sent you log just in case.
    Just realised can't PM you.
    Let me know if you need the log.

By the way box still using .007 works on all the test streams.

Edited once, last by kostaman (October 14, 2016 at 3:26 AM).

• I have a box nexbox A95x S905x, I'm unable to start, the three methods. Someone who has this box could help me.
    It looks like this.

I don't have Nexbox A95X, only a similar one Mini M8S-II with the same S905X processor and 2GB of RAM. Base on your screen capture, you can try rename the gxl_p212_2g.dtb to dtb.img. It will replace the original dtb.img (size 156kB).

Edited once, last by kszaq (October 14, 2016 at 8:12 AM).

• delete dtb.img and rename gxl_p212_2g.dts to dtb.img.

I don't have Nexbox A95X, only a similar one Mini M8S-II with the same S905X processor and 2GB of RAM. Base on your screen capture, you can try rename the gxl_p212_2g.dtb to dtb.img. It will replace the original dtb.img (size 156kB).

I tried. It turns out that I am not able to make the bot, the method of toothpick not of because it has no such entry. The second restart in recovery could not, had to use the quickbot, application to restart in recovery mode, did not no, not the third application "Update".

Edited once, last by alucarde20 (October 14, 2016 at 4:01 AM).