New Community Build?

• I apologize for posting here, but I was unsure as to where to make the following request:

I have developed a new community build of LibreELEC based on version 8.0.1 that fully supports the hardware of the Intel Compute Stick BOXSTCK1A8LFC/BOXSTCK1A32WFC. The current Generic x86_64 project did not support the SDIO WiFi or UART HCI Bluetooth due to inadequate driver and kernel support. I forked LibreELEC and implemented the additional hardware support to coexist with the originally supported platforms. Thus, if my fork was to be merged back into version 8.0.1, it should integrate seamlessly with the original source and be transparent for developers working on other platforms. I am currently referring to my LibreELEC as version 8.0.1.2.

Being new to the LibreELEC community, I didn't know if I am allowed (or even how) to request my fork be included into the officially supported source or if I can request a new dedicated community for Intel Compute Sticks such as the BOXSTCK1A8LFC and the BOXSTCK1A32WFC.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

v/r,

erythros

• If you want to release a community version of LE for that device via these forums you are welcome. I would not accept it as a formal addition to our roster of build projects as that is not necessary. The 8723bs driver appears to be in the staging area of the 4.12 kernel which is a couple of months away; once available the kernel config and firmware required can be added to the Generic project. If there are other changes required for other areas of hardware support - please submit the changes for review. Having someone actively interested in these devices would be nice as we don't have many (if any) of them among staff.

NB: Our master branch (LE 9.0/Leia) will move to 4.11 kernel in the next ~week when it's released. Once we bump someone normally creates a PR to start accumulating the changes required for the next major version bump (i.e. to 4.12). Please comment and direct people on changes needed.

^^ to be clear, all development should be done against the master branch. We can then assess the changes and make decisions on what items can be backported into the 8.0 branch which has tight change control as it is an active release branch.

• Thank you for responding!

I would be more than happy to maintain this community version, as I do realize it is in reality a very small community. What is the most appropriate method for releasing a community version of LibreELEC via the forums? I don't want to cause any problems by posting on the wrong boards.

I knew about the Wi-Fi driver inclusion in the Linux-next kernel, but also knew that it could be months before it made it into an official kernel and then months more before LibreELEC acceptance. However, as far as I know the Bluetooth code is not set for upstream as it is not written as a kernel module but as a user space application. I can maintain my community build independently until the Wi-Fi driver is officially included in LibreELEC, while at the same time I can work to legitimately include the Bluetooth code. Afterwards my fork will no longer be necessary.

I will watch for the next PR and make appropriate comments for required changes to support the BOXSTK1A8LFC and BOXSTCK1A32WFC.

erythros

• If you want to release a community version of LE for that device via these forums you are welcome.

I accept the responsibility of maintaining and releasing a community version of LE for the Intel Compute Stick.

Which fourm is the most apropriate for me to post updates concerning my build? I do not want to get into trouble for random posts...

• Official Post

Just create a release thread in the main support area. If it ends up growing legs and runs with lots of posts and activity we'll move it somewhere more permanent, although I suspect we've caught up on support in the near-ish future as 4.11 released yesterday.

I'd ask for your changes to be in your GitHub repo, and for a URL to the repo in the first post of the thread. Keep the first post up-to-date with the latest build details and comments.

• I understand and will be working to update my GitHub repo in case a PR occurs.

I have a post in the Development forum currently, thread-7740.html, should I continue to post there or create a new under the General Support forum? Or is there the possiblity of an Admin migrating my thread to the correct forum?

I have only worked on projects, in the past, where members merely submitted patches for acceptance. I apologize for my lack of understand and thank you for your patience.

• Can we expect Linux Kernel 4.11 also for LE 8.x.x at some point? I care about this because i expect 4.11 to fix one major issue in conjunction with Apollo Lake based systems which are basically random crashes/restarts of Kodi.

Edited once, last by backslash (May 3, 2017 at 12:39 PM).

• Official Post

It depends on the Kodi v18 schedule. If Kodi decide to do a shorter sprint for v18 that results in an autumn-ish release then your 4.11+ fix will arrive in the next series of alpha/beta builds as we move towards that release. If it looks like v18 will run longer (end of year-ish) then we'll organise a mid-year 8.2 release with a newer kernel/mesa to pick up improved Intel hardware support, and we'll probably throw in a switch back to openssl for some bonus credit. So nothing firm yet, but we have Kodi DevCon over the next few days and that might firm ideas.

• It depends on the Kodi v18 schedule. If Kodi decide to do a shorter sprint for v18 that results in an autumn-ish release then your 4.11+ fix will arrive in the next series of alpha/beta builds as we move towards that release. If it looks like v18 will run longer (end of year-ish) then we'll organise a mid-year 8.2 release with a newer kernel/mesa to pick up improved Intel hardware support, and we'll probably throw in a switch back to openssl for some bonus credit. So nothing firm yet, but we have Kodi DevCon over the next few days and that might firm ideas.

Thanks for clarification! Btw. thumbs up for your effort making LE such a great product.