The S905(Wetek Play 2/Hub and Odroid C2) Memory leak issue

• So, about that memory leak issue that is stopping a LE release for the WeTek Hub, WeTek Play 2, and Odroid C2 ...

I'm sure the dev's are chatting on slack about it but i'm wondering if "we" can help ?

I've made a debug build with valgrind for the Wetek Play 2 (here LibreELEC WeTek Play 2 test builds) it would be nice if dev's can chime in on the status of this issue so we don't reinvent the wheel :)

Just trying to help.

Thanks.

Edited once, last by Jester (January 22, 2017 at 3:30 PM).

• Jester Current investigation shows it's unlikely to be an app level leak, more like something related to memory management in the kernel.

Thanks, I was just about to ask that, so we can rule out kodi ? and focus on the kernel ...which needs updating anyway....

I see some work being done to upgrade from 3.14.29 to 3.14.79, did somebody try an image based on 3.14.79 to see if this fixes the mem leak?

Edited once, last by Jester (January 23, 2017 at 12:01 PM).

• Thanks, I was just about to ask that, so we can rule out kodi ? and focus on the kernel ...which needs updating anyway....

I see some work being done to upgrade from 3.14.29 to 3.14.79, did somebody try an image based on 3.14.79 to see if this fixes the mem leak?

No it doesn't help. We have actually 2 kind of problems here. Memory management in the kernel and a real memory leak. Because I'm using same 64bit kernel in my builds with 32bit userspace and I have no memory leaking.

• No it doesn't help. We have actually 2 kind of problems here. Memory management in the kernel and a real memory leak. Because I'm using same 64bit kernel in my builds with 32bit userspace and I have no memory leaking.

So, its finally weekend, and time to play, while compiling another test build I was looking at kodi.bin using just top, it seems to eat more memory (and not freeing it) after displaying posters, I thought that texture release issue was fixed a while back ?

• So, its finally weekend, and time to play, while compiling another test build I was looking at kodi.bin using just top, it seems to eat more memory (and not freeing it) after displaying posters, I thought that texture release issue was fixed a while back ?

The issue is a memory leak (which is still not found) in Kodi mostly reproduced with uncached thumbs (texturecache.py can lock up very fast). Also there is a Kernel issue with the way memory is allocated which leads to the lockup and not a crash. The Kernel issue is 90% solved.